Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
burrumbus

Re: Old REOs

Post by burrumbus »

Great stuff David.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Here's some information from the Deepwater sale, including MO 4576 of 1962 in rather sad condition:

http://www.southernhemimedia.com/reo_tr ... ts_38.html

Just for reference - in better days:
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Thanks all.
The spider wheels would be collectors items!
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

It seems D Fairless had an FJ Holden, seen sitting quietly behind the Reos!
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Here are two Keith Kings photos of the rear engined Grummet bodied Reo that operated for Warrnambool BL into the 70s. The second photo shows an inside shot of the rear engine cowl that was visible from inside the bus, much as a forward control engine cowl with the engine up the front did.
WBL4.jpg
WBL5a.jpg
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Another rear engined Reo bus was constructed for Pioneer Tours by Ansair in early 1947, but the chassis model number is unclear. It was given a write up T&BT in September 1947 and again in March 1948, but the model number was never mentioned in either. The wheelbase was said to be 194 inches with a body length of 31feet. Seating was for 28 passengers. It was meant to be a "prototype" for many more but the importation of the the Flxible Clipper in October 1947 put paid to that. The body on the Reo was of composite structure, as can be seen in the third of these Official Ansair photos:
IMG_0015 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0014 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0017 - Copy.jpg
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

A former Entrance Red Reo was in the process of either being loaded onto or unloaded from a flatbed truck in Deepwater on 15 August.
GriffinRoads1
Favourite Vehicle: Anything in SouthTrans stripes

Post by GriffinRoads1 »

I think here is the mother of all REOs, in a town in NSW that I won't name for now, there are dozens of old REOs for sale!
Story is that the owner of these busses bought the entire REO company and has been keeping these here in a private collection, and has been trying to sell them all off for the past couple decades.
https://yt3.ggpht.com/vWOgA0TvqgeHFYq6G ... ffff-nd-v1
I prefer my catches rare.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

GriffinRoads1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm I think here is the mother of all REOs, in a town in NSW that I won't name for now, there are dozens of old REOs for sale!
Story is that the owner of these busses bought the entire REO company and has been keeping these here in a private collection, and has been trying to sell them all off for the past couple decades.
That's Deepwater and it seems they're being sold off with some gone already.

http://southernhemimedia.com/reo_truck_parts_38.html

One of those 1940s American-style streamliners (typically Reos) really needs to be in the Sydney Bus Museum. Syd Wood built a lot of them (I think including that Gosford one). It was the apex of bus design in Australia.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

GriffinRoads1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm I think here is the mother of all REOs, in a town in NSW that I won't name for now, there are dozens of old REOs for sale!
The owner was an eccentric collector of transport memorabilia with a passion for the REO brand. He owned a couple of REO cars and trucks, and collected numerous semi-derelict REO buses (and other makes) from around the state with the "intention" of restoring them. I don't think he had the ability to actually do this work, and would nearly give them away to anyone who wanted one; not many takers it seems.

I doubt he "bought the company", which was based in America.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

He must be a relative of the bloke at Dorrigo with the train graveyard.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Only 4 or 5 left when I passed through 8 days ago.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Nat

Post by Nat »

The Desto of Burragorang there is very interesting.

I guess it is a route down from The Oaks into Burragorang Valley, which now is flooded by Warragamba Dam.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

There was a programme on the ABC a number of years back called "The Drowned Valley" which has some good footage of the town of Burragorang, but I cannot recall specifically if buses were shown.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”