New Intercity Fleet Purchases/Observation

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Re: New Intercity Fleet Purchases/Observation

Post by lunchbox »

Being double-deck, the New Intercity Fleet could have had both seating configurations - all forward-facing upstairs, for the view-seeking tourists, and fixed, table/charging equipped seats downstairs for the self-absorbed. I predict a mid-life conversion to same. NSW has a history of mid-life seating changes....
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: Once you get out into the regions, you should be providing reversible seating.
British Rail and its successors, where many of the NIF project team learnt their craft, have always operated trains with fixed seating, even on those going from the top of Scotland to the bottom of England (about 11 hours) so no surprise. The transport minister at the time (possibly Gladys) was advised of the pitfalls, but refused to get involved.
lunchbox wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:42 amNSW has a history of mid-life seating changes
Aside from the XPT 40 years ago, when else has a mid-life seating change conversion? Other than those that were done as part of a role change, e.g. long distance seating carriages to interurban carriages in the 1970s.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The tradition of non-reversible seating here and in GB has been more for facing pairs, rather than half and half blocks.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Traditionally, but in more recent years trains in Europe have been built / refurbished with a higher percentage of airline seats to increase capacity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I've travelled on a lot of "regional" trains in Japan. Rotating reversible seating is the norm. The features, quality and comfort of their "economy" seating way surpasses what we offer in "first class".
@ The Museum of Fire.
HunterLine5

Post by HunterLine5 »

Newcastle Herald “”breaking news””. That the N.I.F.S are to begin testing son on the CCN Line!…… geeee, so what have we been seeing them doing coming and going from Newcastle Interchange for well over a damn year?.………””BREAKING NEWS”” my foot!.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Hasn't there been a ban on driving them?

Movements elsewhere have been behind diesel locos.
@ The Museum of Fire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

boronia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:40 am Hasn't there been a ban on driving them?

Movements elsewhere have been behind diesel locos.
I have suggested they have a single deck carriage in the middle to take all the electric bikes and mobility scooters so they can keep the guard on DD
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

HunterLine5 wrote: Newcastle Herald “”breaking news””. That the N.I.F.S are to begin testing son on the CCN Line!…… geeee, so what have we been seeing them doing coming and going from Newcastle Interchange for well over a damn year?.………””BREAKING NEWS”” my foot!.
Crew training and mileage accumulation was suspended many months ago. That it has resumed may be an indication that the first of the modified sets has been completed and training resumed.
eddy wrote: I have suggested they have a single deck carriage in the middle to take all the electric bikes and mobility scooters so they can keep the guard on DD
And we have read it many times. It is fanciful, so can we please move on from something that has not chance of happening.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Linto63 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:20 am
HunterLine5 wrote: Newcastle Herald “”breaking news””. That the N.I.F.S are to begin testing son on the CCN Line!…… geeee, so what have we been seeing them doing coming and going from Newcastle Interchange for well over a damn year?.………””BREAKING NEWS”” my foot!.
Crew training and mileage accumulation was suspended many months ago. That it has resumed may be an indication that the first of the modified sets has been completed and training resumed.
eddy wrote: I have suggested they have a single deck carriage in the middle to take all the electric bikes and mobility scooters so they can keep the guard on DD
And we have read it many times. It is fanciful, so can we please move on from something that has not chance of happening.
There will be an ever increasing use of bikes and mobility scooters in the future and I saw four mates with electric bikes take up the whole end of a DD at Kiama the other day so it may give the guards a reason to be there.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Rather than bringing up electric bikes and mobility scooters in multiple threads, can you please leave that discussion to the dedicated thread. None of this is related to the New Intercity Fleet, most have already been built and there is no chance that an extra carriage is now going to be added.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Linto63 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:51 am Rather than bringing up electric bikes and mobility scooters in multiple threads, can you please leave that discussion to the dedicated thread. None of this is related to the New Intercity Fleet, most have already been built and there is no chance that an extra carriage is now going to be added.
Yes - speaking as an admin - one post deleted.
Living in the Shire.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

Linto63 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:20 am Crew training and mileage accumulation was suspended many months ago. That it has resumed may be an indication that the first of the modified sets has been completed and training resumed.
I thought they were going to run NIFs before they get modified under a temporary operating model involving two guards
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

alleve wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:29 pm
Linto63 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:20 am Crew training and mileage accumulation was suspended many months ago. That it has resumed may be an indication that the first of the modified sets has been completed and training resumed.
I thought they were going to run NIFs before they get modified under a temporary operating model involving two guards
That was my impression as well. I'm sure the government would want to get the NIF in revenue service as soon as possible before the election.

It reminds me of when Neville Wran arranged for the new XPT, with only one operational power loco at the time, to run around the state with a few carriages prior to the election. Can't remember which election, but I think it was in the 1980s, possibly 1986.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Transtopic wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:32 pm It reminds me of when Neville Wran arranged for the new XPT, with only one operational power loco at the time, to run around the state with a few carriages prior to the election. Can't remember which election, but I think it was in the 1980s, possibly 1986.
About 1981 I recall.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Glen wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:06 pm About 1981 I recall.
John Dunn had a good story to tell about that publicity tour with a short consist with a Southern Aurora guards van on the rear. On the run up to Wagga for the press launch, the Minister Peter Cox wanted to announce something newsworthy when they arrived. He managed to convince the driver and railway officials to run the train up to the highest speed possible and it reached 183 km/h, breaking the Australian rail speed record. Dunn says that on the way, it missed a car at a crossing "by a coat of paint" and when they arrived at Wagga they found the guard as white as a sheet as he was convinced that the Aurora van was going to become airborne. Extraordinarily reckless of Cox and of the railway staff for not standing up to him, but things were a little different in those days. Some years later the XPT killed five boys in a car in the same region. A friend of mine who worked in perway said that at 160 km/h you had no chance of seeing an XPT at a crossing, let alone reacting. They relied on the working timetable. Motorists lived with that gamble for years. I assume things have changed a bit since then.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Similar thing happened with the first Tangara being slowly pushed into Central station by a diesel locomotive to break a ribbon with Barrie Unsworth greeting the masses in 1988. Journos said looks great Baz, can we go for a lap? Much looking at the ground followed.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

tonyp wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:54 pm
Glen wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:06 pm About 1981 I recall.
John Dunn had a good story to tell about that publicity tour with a short consist with a Southern Aurora guards van on the rear. On the run up to Wagga for the press launch, the Minister Peter Cox wanted to announce something newsworthy when they arrived. He managed to convince the driver and railway officials to run the train up to the highest speed possible and it reached 183 km/h, breaking the Australian rail speed record. Dunn says that on the way, it missed a car at a crossing "by a coat of paint" and when they arrived at Wagga they found the guard as white as a sheet as he was convinced that the Aurora van was going to become airborne. Extraordinarily reckless of Cox and of the railway staff for not standing up to him, but things were a little different in those days. Some years later the XPT killed five boys in a car in the same region. A friend of mine who worked in perway said that at 160 km/h you had no chance of seeing an XPT at a crossing, let alone reacting. They relied on the working timetable. Motorists lived with that gamble for years. I assume things have changed a bit since then.
It shows that higher speed is possible on existing track even back then, albeit with more investment in safety upgrades at level crossing, if not eliminating them completely. The level crossing at which five boys were killed has since been upgraded with a flyover, but it's not enough and more needs to be done. HSR, if it ever becomes a reality, wouldn't have any level crossings. Sorry, getting off track.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
gascoyne

Post by gascoyne »

Much of the fleet can be seen parked at Lithgow in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcnIO26FLU&t=170s
Some more may still be at Adamstown/Broadmeadow
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The stopping board at stations for the D sets are all located at the same point regardless of length meaning it will be carriages at the rear that will not be platformed and not the front as occurs with H and V sets.
boronia

Post by boronia »

gascoyne wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:30 am Much of the fleet can be seen parked at Lithgow in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcnIO26FLU&t=170s
Some more may still be at Adamstown/Broadmeadow
There are a few sets (maybe 6 or so) stabled at Lithgow, but they seem to regularly swapped around. Probably get taken to K-A to get the graffiti removed.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Linto63 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:38 pm The stopping board at stations for the D sets are all located at the same point regardless of length meaning it will be carriages at the rear that will not be platformed and not the front as occurs with H and V sets.
That's interesting, as the Guard will be off the platform?

Could be challenging at Wondabyne!
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Unless it is still planned for the driver to close doors, guard will still do so relying on CCTV.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Glen wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:47 pm
Linto63 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:38 pm The stopping board at stations for the D sets are all located at the same point regardless of length meaning it will be carriages at the rear that will not be platformed and not the front as occurs with H and V sets.
That's interesting, as the Guard will be off the platform?

Could be challenging at Wondabyne!
These boards have been in place for some time, presumably based on anticipated driver only operation.

Perhaps they will be changed now that guards are back on board?
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”