What new car?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Re: What new car?

Post by Daniel »

crazyturbo76 wrote:Skodas aren't really that bad; the Fabia, Octavia, Superb and Yeti are all big-sellers in Europe and will most probably sell well here if Volkswagen Group Australia decide to promote these beasts well here. Once people find out about their excellent ANCAP scores they'll start flocking to these cars.
VW Australia is being very careful with Skoda. They want it to earn them sales as the 'budget' brand but they are conflicted because they want to maximise profit. They also dont want Skoda taking away from the flagship Volkswagen brand, so Skodas are priced similarly to Volkswagens, hence them hardly making a dent so far. They've also deliberately selected models and specs for Skoda where there isn't a perfect comparison with VW: think Fabia wagon, Roomster, Yeti, Octavia Liftback etc amongst some of the mainstream offerings.
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

You might be right there, Daniel. A new Fabia 77TSI costs 2 grand more than a contemporary Polo Trendline (which has a different engine), and also it is only a few hundred dearer than a contemporary 77TSI Polo. Then again the Fabia and Polo have pretty much the same engine choices; VW must want people to buy German rather than Czech first before lowering prices across the Skoda range.

I don't really get why VW Australia's so scared of its Czech subsidiary; back in the day Skodas were often considered a cheap buy before VW took over.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Perhaps because Volkswagen are worried people will see a cheaper Skoda and and a somewhat identical but more expensive Volkswagen, and ask themselves why are they paying more for an Volkswagen when the cheaper Skoda does everything they want, and also comes with a European badge, allowing the buyers to feel smug and like they have really made it in the world because they have brought one of those fancy European cars. It's not a matter of VW wanting people to buy either Volkswagen or Skoda, it's a matter of Volkswagen wanting to make money and lots of it.

What happened back in the day means nothing. There is a reason that after WWII, when the Allies plundered German industry, that they kept the factory and tooling to make Volkswagens-because none of the allies wanted to take the Volkswagen, not even for free as war reparations. You couldn't judge a 2010's VW based on what was being sold as a VW in 1950, nor can you judge Skoda today on their previous products.
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

Replace the F with an L in the Skoda.

Introducing the all new Skoda Flapsmobile. Needs servicing monthly, doesn't do what you want and costs a fortune to run.

Why didn't they just call it the Fagina?

Daz
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
Frances

Post by Frances »

:?
chuboy
Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Post by chuboy »

So what did you decide on?
Frances

Post by Frances »

Haven't decided yet.....
Daz

Post by Daz »

Daz's new BT-50 arrived last week.

Great car, capable 4x4 and extremely smooth and quiet.

Fifty-five grands' worth? Dunno yet...

Daz
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Daz wrote:Daz's new BT-50 arrived last week.

Great car, capable 4x4 and extremely smooth and quiet.

Fifty-five grands' worth? Dunno yet...

Daz
http://youtu.be/3Mw5QEPn2WM
Daz

Post by Daz »

Yeah... Nah... Lol.

Daz
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

I have a nissan pulsar 1994 (very old car). With the petrol prices being not funny ($1.61 per litre for unleaded, in which i use premium 95 or 98, so its end up costing me as high as $1.79 or even up to a $1.80... its going to suck if petrol reach $2 per litre). Its suck fuellling up my car. Despite it being not a big petrol eater in comparison to 4wd or a V6, its sure not petrol friendly, and due to me doing work with my car, its can cost me up to $100 per week on petrol since i need to fuel up twice.... I would lucky to fuel up just once a week.

I hope to buy myself a new car, hopefully with a really good fuel efficiency
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
chuboy
Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Post by chuboy »

Serves you right blowing your money on premium fuel for a 94 Pulsar... lol
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

chuboy wrote:Serves you right blowing your money on premium fuel for a 94 Pulsar... lol
Well, I can't use E10 in my car, its ** up my car (as I learn first time around) and i can't seem to find regular 91 petrol
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

There's still regular unleaded around the Epping/Marsfield area in Sydney so if you're from nearby then you could go there.
Frances

Post by Frances »

macpro622776 wrote:There's still regular unleaded around the Epping/Marsfield area in Sydney so if you're from nearby then you could go there.
The BP service station on Merrylands Road, Greystanes has it too.
Frances

Post by Frances »

Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I thought I would update this as I left it up in the air after I took a long break from the forum. We had a look at a few dealerships and my husband said he wanted to get a Jeep or something similar (others we looked at included the VW Touareg and FIAT Fremont). I don't even like being a passenger in SUVs, so driving one didn't appeal tome at all. I told him that if we bought something like that, he would be doing most if not all of the driving. In the end he said something along the lines of "get whatever you want but you're going to look after it and it has to be a wagon".

So we got a Skoda Octavia station wagon.........

Return to “The Lunch Room”