Inner West Light Rail observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Inner West Light Rail observations

Post by tonyp »

Glen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:06 pm Or in the case of World Square, even on a hill?
I haven't looked up the wheelchair gradients for a long time but yes, that would determine the maximum slope of a platform. I would have thought Brickfield Hill wasn't a showstopper, maybe it was an excuse the drop the stop. There are methods for levelling a platform on a hill.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I recall it was the reason the stop was dropped.

Of course if you want to know about stations on steep hills just ask the Swiss, check the angle on the far end of this train at the terminus of Zurich's S10:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SZ ... liberg.jpg

That's not a zoom lens effect.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Glen wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:25 am I recall it was the reason the stop was dropped.

Of course if you want to know about stations on steep hills just ask the Swiss, check the angle on the far end of this train at the terminus of Zurich's S10:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SZ ... liberg.jpg

That's not a zoom lens effect.
At 3:10 mins in this video, here is a tram stop with its gradient minimised in the middle of an 8.5% gradient. The grade starts at 2:25 and continues to the end of the film. Note the tram performance. CAFs and Citadis would be completely unable to operate on this system, certainly not on its curves and gradients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQE1jUo-liA
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, it is an interesting video, but the place does not look brilliant, with unkempt plantings around the line, grey skies and rather depressing buildings, however at least the trams (or LRV's) are not covered in adverts, as we do here.

Bring back trolleybuses, I say - an electric method of transport without all the current complications!!
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Tim Williams wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:18 pm Yes, it is an interesting video, but the place does not look brilliant, with unkempt plantings around the line, grey skies and rather depressing buildings, however at least the trams (or LRV's) are not covered in adverts, as we do here.
The scenery has a bearing on tram performance how?
All irrelevant down sides of the system shown.
Strip those points away and you have a superior tram without adverts.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I really do not know why you made your banal comments. I honestly worry that this site (which is obviously in decline) is not helped your comments.
Swift

Post by Swift »

How does gloomy scenery and brutalist architecture have a bearing on how well the trams themselves work?
Please tell me.

That place may not have natural attributes like Sydney's harbour and it's beaches and temperate weather, but they do a damn better job than the utter disgrace here at making a functional city that's a joy to get around.
Last edited by Swift on Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

What a waste of time - enjoy your daft exchanges!
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

It seemed a perfectly-reasonable question to me...

And might I add the decline here is not just because of anyone one person's remarks - there's intelligent discussion here at times, but it is either overlooked, fobbed off or just plain ignored. You can't have the sorts of discussions to be had here on other platforms (which I've found are generally overwhelmed with immaturity) - but they don't have size limits on photos, and there's that element of privacy too (if it has to be kept in secret groups, should it really be shared at all?).
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Myself, I do appreciate your comment Tim. It's Central Europe which, as you may know, doesn't always look the brightest under grey European weather. But when the sun comes out on the other hand... And as people progressively got their houses back from being stolen by the Communists and restored and painted them, the scene is completely different today. Even that bridge has been replaced by a real stunner.

The point is though that here is a public transport operation that is vastly superior to those of Western countries that have been rolling in wealth for years. This tram system in Prague moves as many people every year as Sydney Trains. The Sydney Trains system is at capacity, this tram system still has plenty of potential capacity.

Apart from that, the prosaic intention of the video is to show how a stop can be relatively levelled even on a big grade.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes Tony, I do agree with your comments - thanks for responding!!
Swift

Post by Swift »

Sydney has ample dreary street scenes when you're away from the tourist traps. In the 50s much of Sydney looked as grotesque as any communist ghetto.

Just look at Haymarket with horrid architectural harmony and many others. If representatives from the central and eastern European transport agencies came and saw how the so called enlightened Anglo Saxon culture run things here they would be in disbelief at what we do wrong.

A persistent conceited attitude that we know best simply because we're British based, with no objective basis, doesn't help.to get us out of this rut.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Does anyone have the information on which 6 trams are operating on L1 or is it any available from the Entire L2/3 Fleet?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I saw 08 and 13 in service yesterday; presumably their matching pair also there.

They have modified wheel profiles, so I don't think there will be random swapping with other trams.

Have also seen photos of 30, 31, 49, so there may be 8 trams available. They would obviously need a couple of spares on hand.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

I find it interesting that the person who claims the quality of discourse has been lowered, is the only person calling others' comments "banal" and "daft" rather than responding to the substance of them. These criticised comments were primarily of a technical nature - it's not like tonyp and Swift are marvelling at the fleet numbers, like happens in some other places.

Anyway, as far as actual inner west light rail observations, there's quite a lot of complaint in Pyrmont (and probably other suburbs) about the reduced service, even though all the replacement buses have been cancelled (except those to the Star, funny about that). I also note these comments on the TfNSW web site:
L1 Dulwich Hill Line light rail services are not equipped with real-time yet: the next service arrival times displayed on the information displays at stops, on Trip Planner or on transport apps are approximate.

Due to the use of L2 and L3 light rail vehicles to resume light rail services on the L1 Dulwich Hill Line (while the previous L1 light rail vehicles continue to be repaired), there might be some variations in the travelling experience. It currently includes information displays onboard unable to automatically list the next stops, or play an automated audio announcement. For information on stopping patterns, alternatively listen to light rail drivers’ stop announcement, and refer to the line diagrams displayed onboard all light rail services.
It looks like the trams being used have had their line diagrams changed to that of L1 - another reason they couldn't easily swap which vehicles are being used where.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

jpp42 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:20 am It looks like the trams being used have had their line diagrams changed to that of L1 - another reason they couldn't easily swap which vehicles are being used where.
I managed to get a service on Saturday and did take a photo on the tram (of said line diagram) although it didn't quite turn out well... the line diagram shows all 3 lines (L1, L2 and L3) so in theory if that diagram were put on the existing L2 and L3 vehicles that would be one step closer to having them available.
What I don't know is what other modifications, if any, were done to the vehicles themselves.
The audio announcements do play the name of the station (I only went as far as The Star from Central so can't speak for the rest of the line), but the displays as mentioned only show the line name and to look at the line diagram.

Not sure about the real-time not showing, as TripView on my phone was showing some information on the day re how far away the service was.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Swift

Post by Swift »

It's going to suck for the regulars to get their crummy CAFs back after getting accustomed to the shiny Citadis LRVs.with their very up to date looks with the Star Wars light bars on the edges.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:59 pm It's going to suck for the regulars to get their crummy CAFs back after getting accustomed to the shiny Citadis LRVs.with their very up to date looks with the Star Wars light bars on the edges.
Both trams are bobsy twins under the skin. Same basic engineering design, same capacity, same layout. The Citadis have an advantage with more doors, enabling more efficient passenger processing, which is admittedly a significant advantage on its own. The lack of doors on the CAF is not CAF's fault though. That's the geniuses at TfNSW deleting two doors from CAF's standard specification.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

NSW LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL INQUIRY INTO LIGHT RAIL SERVICES.

This Inquiry is currently accepting submissions from the public, with a closing date of 31 March 2022. You can lodge your submission here -

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/commi ... ubmissions

(305290)
Glen

Post by Glen »

The Terms of Reference seem fairly broad.
Inquiry into New South Wales light rail services
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1. That the Public Works Committee inquire into and report on New South Wales light rail
services, and in particular:
(a) their establishment and procurement, operation and maintenance,
(b) the provision of alternative transport services, and
(c) any other related matter.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Glen wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:06 pm The Terms of Reference seem fairly broad.
The Legislative Council trying to justify its continuing existence.
boronia

Post by boronia »

boronia wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:24 pm I saw 08 and 13 in service yesterday; presumably their matching pair also there.

They have modified wheel profiles, so I don't think there will be random swapping with other trams.

Have also seen photos of 30, 31, 49, so there may be 8 trams available. They would obviously need a couple of spares on hand.
It now seems CSE trams are being rotated through the L1 line at random. It has been suggested elsewhere that the wheels have not been modified (or all the Citadis will be done).

01, 02, 57, 58 were photographed on the line 3-4 weeks ago, but today all are back on home territory.

Other sightings over the last few weeks include 15, 16, 21, 33, 34, 60,
@ The Museum of Fire.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

Friday Afternoon, March 18, the following Units departed Dulwich Hill (6 Units required for the Timetable):-
1545 hours Unit 51, 1600 hours Unit 22, 1615 hours Unit 41, 1630 hours Unit 08, 1645 hours Unit 24, 1700 hours Unit 46.
boronia

Post by boronia »

It seems the 2L1 supplementary bus services from Central to The Star have been discontinued, effective 19/3.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Sneaky! Sneaky!

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”