CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Stu

Re: CBD & South East Light Rail

Post by Stu »

boronia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:56 pm R6 was providing supplementary buses to Moore Park as route 1.

Photos on FB suggest at least 6 artics in use. These would have been provided long before the LR failure.
TfNSW chartered 7 x artics from transit systems on each night of the concert as supplementary transport to support the light rail which is encouraged as the main form of transport.

There didn’t appear to be any LX tram services operating on each night.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:36 pm In the context of Lx services for the ever-growing number of events being held at Moore Park (there have been heaps in the last few months), you have to remember to-date that L1 is still using several Citadis trams in daily service, despite the fact that all the Urbos have been repaired now for several months - so the fleet is really stretched to the max now.

As for the people complaining about rain at the new stadium, well, it was designed back in 2019 before this thing called La Niña came along the next year and took away Sydneys global reputation as a sunny city; no one knew the extent of rainfall we would get 2020-2022, if it were being built today I could almost guarantee it would come with a roof because before 2020, rainy days in Sydney were a novelty. Now they’re common and have been for two years.
More pertinently, you'd have to ask why they didn't build a special events loop that brought patrons up near the venue entrances, like the old one but obviously not as complex - a single loop would do. Same at Randwick. As for the rain, Sydney has always been like that for eons, it's not like they shouldn't know that. Maybe they figured that the stop was so far away from the venues, people would be sodden by the time they got to the stop anyway, so it doesn't matter. And vice versa, people would be so sodden by the time they got to the stadium from the tram, it wouldn't matter if the stadium wasn't roofed.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

^^^^^I suggested just such a Moore Park loop in my CBD&SELR submission at EIS stage. It seems reasonable to assume that someone (TfNSW?) reckoned that major event terminating services could be managed at the Moore Park station, as built, without disrupting through services between the city and the outer terminii.
If the State Opposition was on the ball, it would insist that our retiring transport minister (Elliott) release the precise details of the cause of Wednesday's light rail failure, and what he and TfNSW were going to do to prevent a repeat.
Since the Opposition hasn't, I will, with the certain knowledge that all I'll get is evasive "no reply" PR guff from the lovely "customer service" folk who man the complaints in-box.

As for the rain - after three years of complaints, and rectification promises from the same (above) PR people, the lifts still fail and ponding still occurs on all the stairs at Moore Park light rail station.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

They have no intention of fixing it, I bet, unless the media humiliate the useless buggers into acting.
They could add a loop I imagine, but again, the media would need to highlight that from experts to have a hope.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

THE FLOODING....
Re my Jan 21 post - The Opposition HAS acted. There are news reports that Coogee Labor MP Marjorie O'Neill is asking questions about the flooding disruptions on the evening of 18 January 2023.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

FLOODING OF 18.1.23.......
As predicted, the response to my request to Transport for NSW for the precise details of last Wednesday's outage, and any plans to avert a recurrence, is evasive. For your information, here's the full text, from Transdev's "Customer Experience Team", note, not TfNSW.

"We would like to follow-up on your feedback reference XXXXX, received on 21/01/2023 (your experience: L2 Randwick Line light rail Light Rail Operations 18/01/2023 23:00).

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on the Sydney Light Rail services. Our aim is to provide a professional, safe and efficient standard to all customers.

Due to a series of unrelated issues occurring simultaneously on Wednesday 18 January, L2 Randwick Line and L3 Kingsford Line light rail services had to be temporarily suspended from 10pm to 11.15pm.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.

We confirm we have officially recorded your feedback.
Rest assured we are investigating this event with a high priority for relevant corrective actions; this includes to improve alternative transport options where possible, and information provided to customers during such events.

We thank you once again for sharing your experience, as providing us with an opportunity to improve.
For any further or new feedback or enquiries, please visit transportnsw.info to submit your feedback online, or by phone on 131 500"
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

lunchbox wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:04 am "Customer Experience Team"
Are you sure that wasn't "eXperience"?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Nowadays TfNSW kicks feedback along to the operators.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

lunchbox wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:46 am As for the rain - after three years of complaints, and rectification promises from the same (above) PR people, the lifts still fail and ponding still occurs on all the stairs at Moore Park light rail station.
I would suspect the problems with the lifts here are the result of vandalism. Being away for general public scrutiny, they would attract ferals like flies
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I prefer to call them filth ridden rodents.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Citadis 07, which was struck by a truck on the corner of George and Essex back in in July 2020, has returned to service on the Inner West line. Noticed it because it was all spick and span both inside and out with no advertising or remnants of those silly masks on the ends. Before anyone asks, debated whether to post on this or the Inner West thread, but opted for this one seeing it is where the Citados are more closely associated.
boronia

Post by boronia »

IIRC Car 40 was the only Citadis to get a "mask" and it still has it.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I assume to do with an almost 40 degree day and better air conditioning retention, several drivers today on L2/3 at least in the city were only releasing doors at stops (making passengers activate doors by request). Can’t comment if the same was happening on L1
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

All trams in the city were chockers in today's (Wednesday 8.3.23) afternoon peak, many intending passengers unable to board. Probably a result of the total failure of the trains. A severe shortage of outbound buses was also evident around 4.30 - 5pm.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Sydney finally embraces CBD light rail as patronage surges

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 5cxx3.html
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Puts the conspiracy theory that the SMH is all doom and gloom to bed.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:42 am Puts the conspiracy theory that the SMH is all doom and gloom to bed.
There's an internal power struggle between the editor Bevan Shields and his journalists. Shields is more balanced but some see him as a "class traitor" for that reason. Obviously sometimes Shields gets his way on a story, sometimes the journo does. The results are rather schizophrenic at times.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The L2/L3 fully closed this weekend for "maintenance". This morning I observed gangs doing gardening/landscaping works at Juniors, Kingsford and UNSW.
Replacement 80L3 buses are provided, bit instead of a 400 capacity tram every 8-10 minutes (which is well utilised at weekends) we get a 60 capacity bus every 10-15 minutes. Transdev don't seem to be too good with maths.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

The other problem is they have to balance this against providing regularly-scheduled services during a fairly severe driver shortage, and not "using up" drivers (i.e. maxing out their allowable hours & days, then have a boatload of drivers unable to work on a weekday).
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:51 am
Linto63 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:42 am Puts the conspiracy theory that the SMH is all doom and gloom to bed.
There's an internal power struggle between the editor Bevan Shields and his journalists. Shields is more balanced but some see him as a "class traitor" for that reason. Obviously sometimes Shields gets his way on a story, sometimes the journo does. The results are rather schizophrenic at times.
Good on him. I have a very dim view of the journalist profession these days. Blatant left leaning bias, even in the Daily Telegraph at times.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:34 pm The L2/L3 fully closed this weekend for "maintenance". This morning I observed gangs doing gardening/landscaping works at Juniors, Kingsford and UNSW.
Replacement 80L3 buses are provided, bit instead of a 400 capacity tram every 8-10 minutes (which is well utilised at weekends) we get a 60 capacity bus every 10-15 minutes. Transdev don't seem to be too good with maths.
I often wonder where the passengers vanish to during these bustitutions, which offer only a fraction of the capacity of the rail or trams they're replacing. Do people simply not go out on substitution days or do they drive?

The suggestion that this closedown of CSELR is simply for gardening is appalling.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I wasn't suggesting the line closed down just for gardening. Perhaps there was other work elsewhere, and they just used the available window. If the weather was better, I'd go out and look a bit further afield.

The parallel 396 bus is absorbing some of the pax, so that is another 6x60 pax per hour catered for.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:34 pm The L2/L3 fully closed this weekend for "maintenance". This morning I observed gangs doing gardening/landscaping works at Juniors, Kingsford and UNSW.
No timetables have been provided for replacement routes 80L2 and 80L3 although they are shown in the trip finder.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I very much doubt they'd suspend services for landscaping. More likely something more serious and the landscaping was being done while the opportunity was available.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

Swift wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:49 pm
tonyp wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:51 am
Good on him. I have a very dim view of the journalist profession these days. Blatant left leaning bias, even in the Daily Telegraph at times.
I wouldn't be so quick to praise Shields. His bias is just different to his journalists but it isn't any better.

A good example of his bias is when internal SMH chats were leaked last year and in them Shields instructed his journalists to falsely refer to RBTU industrial action as a "strike", despite knowing full well that publishing that would be factually incorrect and despite them correcting him.

Really what leaves a sour taste in my mouth is the Rebel Wilson thing. That was just disgraceful, Shields treated the SMH like it was TMZ. Publishing that dragged the newspaper's name through the mud and made me remember exactly why I dislike the "journalism" these papers have.

So Shields isn't a modern saviour of journalism, he's just a slightly different breed to his journalists. The bias is more balanced, sure, but it isn't like the quality is any better.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”