CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: CBD & South East Light Rail

Post by Linto63 »

STMPainter2018 wrote: Tony what do you hope to achieve by pointing this out?
To go over the what a tragedy it was that Sydney's tram lines closed and how rubbish CBDSELR is for the umpteenth time? Boring.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

STMPainter2018 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:02 am
Tony what do you hope to achieve by pointing this out?
To remind people that better performance of the new system is possible and especially to discourage people from judging tramways as a transport solution by the performance of the Sydney light rail lines. Don't you understand how damaging the performance of CSELR and IWLR - and the poor image that creates - is to the prospects of more light rail for Sydney? Just listen to the outcry in the SE about their longer future journey times. I look forward to seeing you lobbying for that 25 minute journey that you should know is perfectly feasible.

A great new cab video of L3. Although the journey is still excruciatingly slow, it does highlight the improvements that have slowly emerged since first opening. May they continue to emerge, but at a less glacial pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDskptYl_M&t
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Passengers are now being told on departure screens that if they can't find a "green dot" to sit or stand on, they should wait for the next tram.

By the time they walk through the tram looking for a vacant dot, it will be well on its way to the next stop. Should they get off there?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:25 pm Passengers are now being told on departure screens that if they can't find a "green dot" to sit or stand on, they should wait for the next tram.

By the time they walk through the tram looking for a vacant dot, it will be well on its way to the next stop. Should they get off there?
They should get off at the next stop and hop on to the other car and look for a seat or standing spot there. If there isn't one they should hop off at the next stop and go back to the other car etc etc ad nauseum until they reach their destination!
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Looks like CSELR is going back to passenger-controlled door opening, at least with some drivers?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comment ... _like_not/
boronia

Post by boronia »

Another "power outage" today has services cancelled on L2 and L3 beyond Central, with replacement buses running.
Two trams trapped at Kensington stop around 13:00
Two trams trapped at Kensington stop around 13:00
cse23 DSC08503 (Small).jpeg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Poor Boronia will have to be satisfied with the sound of B12s instead of the traction motors of the LRVs.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

It's a good trick - build redundant power substations and have a power failure anyway.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Swift wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:49 pm Poor Boronia will have to be satisfied with the sound of B12s instead of the traction motors of the LRVs.
A couple of Oranas on earlier passings. But hard to get good photos with cars around.
How long does it take to replace a fuse these days?
@ The Museum of Fire.
buzzkill

Post by buzzkill »

boronia wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:51 pm Another "power outage" today has services cancelled on L2 and L3 beyond Central, with replacement buses running.cse23 DSC08503 (Small).jpeg
I see this often and I don't know if it's just selection bias/perception, or if there is a genuine reliability issue with CSELR.

Are there any published stats on how often it has had planned/unplanned outages and how it compares with alternatives like IWLR, or LR systems elsewhere?
mubd

Post by mubd »

There was a mass power outage across Randwick and Kingsford this morning - anyone know if LR was affected?
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Sydney Water cut through a cable and caused a widespread blackout in the region. I guess the good news is the water supply is OK? We need hydraulic trams.
boronia

Post by boronia »

mubd wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:15 pm There was a mass power outage across Randwick and Kingsford this morning - anyone know if LR was affected?
Looking back at this morning's trip history, seems a lot of services were cancelled. RTD doesn't seem to be too accurate in respect of the trams.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:42 pm Sydney Water cut through a cable and caused a widespread blackout in the region. I guess the good news is the water supply is OK? We need hydraulic trams.
Exposes another thing the old system did better by generating their own autonomous power.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Swift wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:49 pm
tonyp wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:42 pm Sydney Water cut through a cable and caused a widespread blackout in the region. I guess the good news is the water supply is OK? We need hydraulic trams.
Exposes another thing the old system did better by generating their own autonomous power.
Really?

mubd

Post by mubd »

Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

mubd wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:22 am Image
Don't joke, these actually got to Randwick and Kingsford quicker than the Citadis!
boronia

Post by boronia »

Guess they didn't some guy in a "control room" with a computer playing "God" and deciding how long they should stay at a stop.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Shittadiss you mean.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The rezoning scenario for the CSELR corridors has been released - 4,400 new homes. (From today's Telegraph)

Kingsford looking NW. Centred on the Kingsford and Juniors Interchange stops.

Randwick along High St. Centred on the UNSW High St and Randwick terminus stops.

Kensington North. A hike from the Carlton St and Royal Randwick stops.

Alison Rd at King St Randwick. A hike from Royal Randwick stop.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Many of the white buildings already exist as apartment blocks, although some are probably of lower height than what will be allowed under the new zoning.

Most would be within the 400 metre "benchmark". I live in North Kensington, just outside the white zone, but access to the LR is not onerous.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 pm Many of the white buildings already exist as apartment blocks, although some are probably of lower height than what will be allowed under the new zoning.

Most would be within the 400 metre "benchmark". I live in North Kensington, just outside the white zone, but access to the LR is not onerous.
I was concerned that you might have more competition for a table in the coffee shop boronia :wink:

I initially assumed that two of my former residences might have been swept away, but I think I can spot them hanging in there in the sea of whiteness. Of course, with hindsight, one should have kept them but back in those days, with all that anti-tram vituperation spitting forth from Labor governments and Transport, it was something, like the ESR extension, that we had long given up on.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I have a feeling that will be as far as the eye can see and won't stop at those small clusters.
boronia

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:32 pm I was concerned that you might have more competition for a table in the coffee shop boronia :wink:
The locals here seem to shun eat-in establishments, the bulk of day time customers seem to be itinerant workers.

My favourite seat will be safe for a few years yet. Is there a better view anywhere?
[The building across the road has a "transport history" of its own].
cse22 013 (Small).jpg
cse22 013 (Small).jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Last edited by boronia on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:09 pm
[The building across the road has a "transport history" of its own].
cse22 013 (Small).jpg
Did a tram run into it coming out of Ascot St?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”