CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: CBD & South East Light Rail

Post by boronia »

Passenger 57 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:53 pm
jpp42 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:31 am * Route 324/325 takes a 10-minute diversion into Edgecliff bus interchange, for driver change and five minute wait - I get why it happens but it just takes forever.
That should never happen in the peak and inbound through services do not go into the interchange, AFAIK. Yes, driver change can take a while.
There is nothing in the timetables to suggest that outbound services bypass the interchange?

But it has nothing to do with the CSELR
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It shows in the timetable map but not in the timetable itself but does allow an extra four or five minutes for outward 324 and 325 trips in the respective timetable trips.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-03 17.11.55.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-03 17.11.55.jpg (36.61 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

There used to be a fence up the middle of NSH Rd opposite the station, so you'd have to walk to lights at Ocean St or McLean st to get across.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

boronia wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:31 pm There is nothing in the timetables to suggest that outbound services bypass the interchange?
Apologies, I only meant that driver changes don't happen in the peak. (Well they shouldn't, although given how long the peak is these days perhaps there are some.)Yes, all outbound trips enter the interchanges. I suspect the interchange was designed under the assumption that the majority of bus services would be on the eastern side of the interchange which has a dedicated bus tunnel for entry and exist and that the difficult interchange entry from the west would suffice for the reduced number of through services envisaged at the time. My memory escapes me as to whether there were ever any regular outbound through services that bypassed the interchange post the ESR opening.

Obligatory tram fact: through services pass by the former site of the Rushcutter's Bay depot for trams and the Potts Point - Town Hall trolley bus.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Passenger 57 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:15 pm Obligatory tram fact: through services pass by the former site of the Rushcutter's Bay depot for trams and the Potts Point - Town Hall trolley bus.
Even more obligatory tram fact: this route used to be the busiest tram route in Australia, with trams running as close as 40 second headways in peaks. I don't think we'd be having this present discussion were this still the case! Outrage from the wealthy and influential people living along the line caused the initial attempt at closure in 1950 to be reversed. From this experience, the government learnt to pull down overhead wires the same night as tram routes were closed. Of course the ESR has since made a lot of difference for the inner part of the route and bus services on the outer part have suffered as a spin-off from this.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Passenger 57 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:15 pm
boronia wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:31 pm There is nothing in the timetables to suggest that outbound services bypass the interchange?
Apologies, I only meant that driver changes don't happen in the peak. (Well they shouldn't, although given how long the peak is these days perhaps there are some.)Yes, all outbound trips enter the interchanges. I suspect the interchange was designed under the assumption that the majority of bus services would be on the eastern side of the interchange which has a dedicated bus tunnel for entry and exist and that the difficult interchange entry from the west would suffice for the reduced number of through services envisaged at the time. My memory escapes me as to whether there were ever any regular outbound through services that bypassed the interchange post the ESR opening.

Obligatory tram fact: through services pass by the former site of the Rushcutter's Bay depot for trams and the Potts Point - Town Hall trolley bus.
Going back to the early days of the ESR, I think that inbound services went through the interchange, although at that time a lot of inbound 324/5 services terminated there, esp in peak hours.
I also recall there was once an outbound stop opposite the station.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

Correct. The CSELR construction also caused some previously through routes to be truncated at the interchange, Of course with the completion of the CSELR they were never reinstated.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Reflecting on those CBD bus and tram curtailments during major events, I was amused to come across this instance of the Potts Point trolleybus proceeding totally unfazed by a NYE crowd.

(Fairfax Archives)
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:38 am Reflecting on those CBD bus and tram curtailments during major events, I was amused to come across this instance of the Potts Point trolleybus proceeding totally unfazed by a NYE crowd.

(Fairfax Archives)
I can only imagine the collective fit you'd have from the company WH&S Manager, elected WH&S rep(s), unions and so on in today's world. No room for commonsense it seems...
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

From simpler times with no health & safety regime, the world has fortunately moved on.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Fortunately, to a degree. At times it's taken too far.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Swift wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:29 pm Some admin with Orwellian mindset saw fit to remove my post.
There is no record of any of your posts having been removed since 24 December but I will remove a number of posts from today to cleanup this unnecessary discussion.
Let us now get back to CBD & South East Light Rail or more will be removed.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Linto63 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:45 am Having been out of use for many months, the passenger information displays on the bus platforms have been returned to use at Haymarket and Juniors.
And they were observed off line again as of last night at Haymarket and this morning at Juniors.
@ The Museum of Fire.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

DISRUPTION - ELTON JOHN CONCERT - 18/1/23.
I'm informed of a major disruption to the T2/3 service after about 11pm last night, Wed 18.1.23. Many patrons walked toward Central. Tickets for the 30,000 strong crowd included public transport fare. Reports of Uber drivers charging $80 cash for trip to Central.
boronia

Post by boronia »

R6 was providing supplementary buses to Moore Park as route 1.

Photos on FB suggest at least 6 artics in use. These would have been provided long before the LR failure.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Unlike the old system there seems to be little or no scope to put the extra LRVs required to move the overwhelming influx for events. Bl##### hopeless!
6 artics is pathetic and weak. That's probably all that mob have available after offloading so many before with their penchant for one size fits all mentality of 12 meter rigids.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Were LX services scheduled in addition to the regular services? So the whole thing fell apart?
boronia

Post by boronia »

Swift wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:15 pm Unlike the old system there seems to be little or no scope to put the extra LRVs required to move the overwhelming influx for events. Bl##### hopeless!
6 artics is pathetic and weak. That's probably all that mob have available after offloading so many before with their penchant for one size fits all mentality of 12 meter rigids.
There is plenty of "scope" to put in extra tram services, but seemingly little motivation to do so. While there is no loop to turn trams around, there are sufficient cross overs and turn backs, but most events I've observed here and at the racecourse only got two extra LX runs.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Since at least early last week there have been "blink and you'll miss them" notifications on the platform PIDS about service alterations on Australia Day.
They state L2/L3 services will not run 9pm - 10 pm between Town Hall and Circular Quay.

I'm sure this should read 9 am - 10 pm in line with previous years. I sent off feedback asking for clarification, but got the usual automated response about "we need more information..location, date, time, direction of travel...." before we will investigate this report.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

boronia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:29 pm
I'm sure this should read 9 am - 10 pm in line with previous years. I sent off feedback asking for clarification, but got the usual automated response about "we need more information..location, date, time, direction of travel...." before we will investigate this report.
Sound like a bunch of useless, spineless bureaucrats to me.
Last edited by Merc1107 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 1424514048

Confirmed - light rail stopped for an hour due to flooding just as concert finished. It would have made the option of walking to Central very unpleasant.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Perhaps they should roof the light rail as well.
Calls for roof at Allianz Stadium after Elton John fans drenched at show

Critics say Sydney’s reputation as a world-class city took a beating on Wednesday night after fans at Elton John’s show got soaked by rain, sparking new calls for a roofed venue.
Lachlan Leeming
Daily Telegraph
2 min read
January 19, 2023 - 7:05PM
5 comments

Drenching rain that required “Rocket Man” Elton John’s piano to be repeatedly wiped down mid-performance on Wednesday night has ignited another push for Sydney to get a roofed stadium.

Concertgoers left sodden from Wednesday night’s concert at the new $828 million Allianz Stadium, which was designed without a roof and opened in August.

Paul Nicolaou, executive director of Business Sydney, said images of rain-soaked patrons had been beamed around the world, hurting Sydney’s reputation.

“Sydney aspires to be a world city and by definition it has the attributes that make it a world class place to live, work and do business,” he said.

He said Sydney’s role “as an international city of note” can’t be realised “while we don’t have the benefit of a single big event stadium where the roof can be closed”.

Mr Nicolaou said images of Elton John’s farewell performance “to rain-soaked patrons … have unfortunately gone around the world, sadly diminishing Sydney and its international stature”.

“Put simply, an all-weather stadium for Sydney is desperately needed to guarantee major events are not subject to the whim of rogue weather systems,” he said.

Aussie music pioneer Michael Chugg, the founder of Chugg Entertainment which helped bring Elton John’s show to Australia said: “Any new stadium should be built with roofs.

“It’d be nice to have one, but I can’t see anything like that in the near future,” he told The Telegraph.

In lieu of that, Mr Chugg said he’d prefer a “brand new entertainment centre” in the city or in the Moore Park precinct.

“There’s only so many acts that can play stadiums, but a lot of acts can play arenas,” he said.

When the stadium opened in August it was billed by the state government as a state-of-the-art facility.

Patrons leaving the venue on Wednesday and attempting to travel back to the eastern suburbs were hit with an extra hindrance — the light rail was suspended at Moore Park for more than an hour due to the rain.

“Unfortunately, the delays impacted customers heading out of the city as they exited the Elton John concert,” a Transport NSW spokeswoman said.

“(Light Rail operator) Transdev apologises for the inconvenience to passengers.”

Calls for a roof over Allianz come after similar pleas for a cover over Accor Stadium at Homebush, where Venues NSW chair Tony Shepherd has previously pushed for a retractable cover costing $120 million.

Mr Shepherd on Thursday acknowledged the NSW Government “has its limits”.

“We would have liked an opening (and) closing roof but we also recognise the government has its financial limits and they have many mouths to feed,” he told The Telegraph.

Sports Minister Alister Henskens said the new Allianz Stadium was “world class”, and the government would continue to look at improvements to sportsgrounds across Sydney.

“We’ll continue to look at ways to enhance our stadium infrastructure and we’ve got a strong record of doing that,” he said.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Who are these clowns to declare us world class with all this going on? It's not their place to declare such regardless. Have they never heard the adage self recommendation is no praise at all with this validation seeking nonsense?
It just comes off as insecure in the face of this embarrassment. We only heave ourselves to blame.
Nothing will change.

This state of the art stadium was only the result of other states spending much more on up to date sports facilities for their economies while we, as usual thought we were the bees knees and rested on our laurels until we had to play catch up.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

In fairness, any city is always subject to the variability of weather. Compare Melbourne with Sydney, which can have 4 seasons in one day. La Nina over the last few years has obviously had an impact on Sydney's unseasonable weather, which is not the norm for this time of year. However, with the investment in the new Allianz Stadium, it would have made sense to include a roof. I would hope that in time that the Homebush Stadium will similarly be upgraded, having regard to weather patterns due to climate change.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

boronia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:31 pm
Swift wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:15 pm Unlike the old system there seems to be little or no scope to put the extra LRVs required to move the overwhelming influx for events. Bl##### hopeless!
There is plenty of "scope" to put in extra tram services, but seemingly little motivation to do so. While there is no loop to turn trams around, there are sufficient cross overs and turn backs, but most events I've observed here and at the racecourse only got two extra LX runs.
In the context of Lx services for the ever-growing number of events being held at Moore Park (there have been heaps in the last few months), you have to remember to-date that L1 is still using several Citadis trams in daily service, despite the fact that all the Urbos have been repaired now for several months - so the fleet is really stretched to the max now.

As for the people complaining about rain at the new stadium, well, it was designed back in 2019 before this thing called La Niña came along the next year and took away Sydneys global reputation as a sunny city; no one knew the extent of rainfall we would get 2020-2022, if it were being built today I could almost guarantee it would come with a roof because before 2020, rainy days in Sydney were a novelty. Now they’re common and have been for two years.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”