Opal Discussion and Observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Re: Opal Discussion and Observations

Post by boxythingy »

Can I please get a Pandemic Loading Relief Discount (PLRD) applied to my railway journey because I ride my bike to the station instead of using the bus?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Two words. Good and luck, in that order.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

boxythingy wrote:Can I please get a Pandemic Loading Relief Discount (PLRD) applied to my railway journey because I ride my bike to the station instead of using the bus?
You'll save at least $1.24 per peak journey versus the bus. And if you're lucky we'll install a $50 hoop you can tie your bike to. If you're really lucky we'll upgrade that to a $1000 metal shed.

Of course if you drive your polluting motor vehicle we will also give you the discount, and build you a multi-million dollar carpark.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

pgt wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:55 pm
boronia wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:35 pm I came across a station barrier reader displaying "adult Opal only" on the screen. It wouldn't open for Gold or Student cards.
They used to do this back in the MyZone fare days (at least with the magstripe tickets), I suspect to funnel concession card holders towards one side - whether to check tickets or for some other reason I don't recall but if it was for that it'd make sense.
This instance was in the middle of a large array of gates, and nobody was checking tickets. There wasn't even the normal contingent of PTC cops whose main role seems to be to stop the glass wall from being blown inwards.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Opal fares up 3% in July
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/nsw ... 5au8v.html

No change to $50 weekly caps,
So fare compression for shorter v longer journeys continues.

And of course no change to the baby boomer $2.50 fares.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I honestly have no idea why the forum is still clinging onto the belief that the Pensioner / Concession fares will go up in price as any political party that would dare do that would quickly find themselves voted out as it would ruffle feathers from those who are the main demographic of that card
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Plenty of other government charges that impact that demographic go up every year. Don't see why public transport should be any different.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: I honestly have no idea why the forum is still clinging onto the belief that the Pensioner / Concession fares will go up in price as any political party that would dare do that would quickly find themselves voted out as it would ruffle feathers from those who are the main demographic of that card
Governments on both side know it is a fight not worth picking, so they just leave it alone. Some people do seem to have a bit of a bee in their bonnet about it though. Likewise the $25 and $50 caps will remain in unchanged, all other fares will rise by 3%.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

Official Press Release.
No change to 0-3km bus/light rail fares (as they are already at the IPART allowed maximum for the determination period.)
No increase to the modal transfer rebate. At least with the 0-3km bus/LR fares remaining flat not all multi-modal travellers will be worse off than single mode travellers. Some will be comparatively better off. Yay?
(Edit: They have removed the example fares from when I first looked at it. Weird.)
Last edited by Passenger 57 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

moa999 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:46 pm Plenty of other government charges that impact that demographic go up every year. Don't see why public transport should be any different.
Because in a way it impacts this cards core demographics movements & I can imagine the media would have a frenzy over it and twist it anyway they can to paint it as an attack. Now Old lady Ann who is 76 who lives alone can now only travel to the local shop or bingo or whatever every few days instead of every day due to the fare on the concession card she uses going up, now she's spending more time at home because the costs to travel are too much now.

It also is not just that core group. Disability advocates would also have the governments head for the changes.

Maybe if they threw in a sweetener like "Free travel on Sundays" for gold concession holders to compensate for the price rise also affecting the card that might work but I doubt again the media would be happy with it.

Note: I'm just seeing the other side of the fence as to why no government has made the change in price to concession. As I already said above it would be too much of a nightmare and would do more harm than good, unfortunately.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia

Post by boronia »

"Old Lady Ann's" off peak concession bus fare would go from $1.12 to maybe $1.15. Is that really going to be a joy killer? The increases in her food costs would be more of a worry.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Don't forget her dear friends Doris, Joyce, Gwen, Bill, Leonard and Clarry.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

They walk to bingo, don't need to pay fares.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I notice that you can still buy single trip tickets on the LR and trains. But most machines only accept cards for payment, so you can get a "better deal" by using the same card to directly tap the readers.

Wonder why they persist with this feature?
@ The Museum of Fire.
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

boronia wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm I notice that you can still buy single trip tickets on the LR and trains. But most machines only accept cards for payment, so you can get a "better deal" by using the same card to directly tap the readers.

Wonder why they persist with this feature?
No child fares on contactless, but available as a single trip ticket.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Nor Seniors.
Living in the Shire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Perhaps it offers slightly more anonymity than tapping on and off wherever you go? Aside from the unscrupulous, that might be valuable for people who have a legitimate need to keep their tracks covered.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

boronia wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm Wonder why they persist with this feature?
I don't think simple opportunism can be ruled out. ~20% extra on top of the peak fare for the unwary or cardless. Concession entitlees are further penalised by having to buy Adult tickets. All pretty unfair. It also wouldn't be difficult for the machines to sell all modes day passes. Hostile ticketing practises are a disincentive to use public transport or an incentive to fare evade.

A number of people are unaware that payment cards can be used in lieu of Opal cards. It would be helpful if the ticket machines advised of that.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

At the time this was introduced, the reason why such tickets were not issued to concession holders etc, was to prevent rorting.
Living in the Shire.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

Rorters can purchase a child single trip ticket. It stops nothing and just unnecessarily disadvantages concession holders.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Passenger 57 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:55 pm
A number of people are unaware that payment cards can be used in lieu of Opal cards. It would be helpful if the ticket machines advised of that.
They do, in amongst all the other small print.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

I don't think I've noticed any signage on the ticket machine itself and I doubt any signage states that using a payment card is a better option for Adult fares. I'd like a screen to suggest just that on Adult fare selection prior to proceeding to payment. It will doubtless never happen so I'll continue my crusade to point this out to people who I happen to notice buying a ticket.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

- There could be a use if the machine accepts cash and the small stores selling cards are closed, but as mentioned cash machines are getting rarer now with even previous ones having their insert section plated over.

- If cards had a deposit cost, as Queensland’s Go Cards do, they could also be useful to avoid one.

- Unrelated to practicality, the tickets could gain value as collectors items if they are phased out just as the old mag strip ones have.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

https://www.nfcw.com/2022/06/16/377514/ ... rvice-app/

This article mentions we are apparently getting new Opal Card readers (not specified for which modes) as part of the coming upgrades, anyone know if this is true?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

...will also enable passengers to purchase a prepaid weekly or weekend subscription for unlimited travel on public transport journey

Sounds like a return to periodicals of sorts, presumably at the same daily / weekly cap rates as exist for Opal cards.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”