Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Re: Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Post by alleve »

tonyp wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:37 pm
alleve wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:01 pm Reading the comments is so painful
It certainly would be to a Labor supporter, but a fair counterbalance to the Liberal-hating comments that typically follow transport articles in the Herald. I guess that tells us something about the respective readerships, except that dissenting comments are published by the Telegraph (as one can see here), whereas they're often rejected in the Herald.
I wasn't taking it in a political direction, the comments are painful to anyone with a functional brain.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

As this covers more that just the Tallawong to Bankstown line I think it would be more appropriate in a thread of its own or the recent Metro Development thread.
Opinions?
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

alleve wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:59 pm I wasn't taking it in a political direction, the comments are painful to anyone with a functional brain.
Not entirely. They provide some insight into what people are thinking, apart from the facile knee-jerk remarks. There are some common threads revealed both here and in some Herald comments, like a lot of people do understand the city-shaping significance of these projects and don't want to see them abandoned. Other comments indicate that the memory of the last Labor government and its propensity for cancelling projects hasn't faded with the passage of time for many people.
alleve

Post by alleve »

tonyp wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:05 pm
alleve wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:59 pm I wasn't taking it in a political direction, the comments are painful to anyone with a functional brain.
They provide some insight into what people are thinking
Clearly a lot of people in those comments aren't doing a lot of thinking
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

alleve wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:37 pm
And a lot are. What are you trying to say, that the whole of the general public are all stupid? There are a lot of smart people out in the community, as well as not so smart.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

tonyp wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:46 pm
And a lot are. What are you trying to say, that the whole of the general public are all stupid? There are a lot of smart people out in the community, as well as not so smart.
There are more positive/supportive comments than negative comments.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Wasn't it announcement a while back that the bustitution period could be scaled back to about 3 months by removing the platform straightening project and doing other work during weekend closures?

Have to wonder why it has now blown out to 15 months?
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:08 pm Wasn't it announcement a while back that the bustitution period could be scaled back to about 3 months by removing the platform straightening project and doing other work during weekend closures?

Have to wonder why it has now blown out to 15 months?
I suspect that it's a politically cooked up figure. We should wait till the dust settles.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: Not entirely. They provide some insight into what people are thinking, apart from the facile knee-jerk remarks.
You can't be serious. Actually on second thoughts I can see the commonality, lots of people seemingly unable to compartmentalise events from decades before and move forward, thus a need to keep banging on about them.
tonyp wrote: What are you trying to say, that the whole of the general public are all stupid?
With regards to those offering their opinion in the comments section of these articles, on the whole yes. The comments left indicate most are either thick, ill-informed, one-eyed or self-centred. There may be the odd nugget of gold in there, but you have to wade through a lot of excrement to get there. Those complaining the loudest are most likely serial complainers, who were whinging about some thing different yesterday and will be offering their opinion on something else tomorrow of which they will have no understanding, nor will it affect them.
alleve

Post by alleve »

tonyp wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:46 pm
I don't think it represents the whole general public at all. Vast majority of people I know don't feel the need to leave uninformed poorly thought out comments on news articles. In those comment sections, regardless of the newspaper, you're not finding most people.
boronia

Post by boronia »

alleve wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:37 pm Clearly a lot of people in those comments aren't doing a lot of thinking
I think they get a lot of "information" from the Labor/union inspired "Save the XX line" pages on Facebook, which tend to be loaded with with misleading or incorrect facts.

Their latest attempt is "Restore the inner west line - Liverpool via Regents Park". It started out blaming the metro for the loss; when I pointed that these services were to be cancelled under Labor's Rail Clearways program (although they didn't come into effect until 2013) long before the metro was Gladys's dream, they at least changed the page, but I got banned anyway.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:26 pm I think they get a lot of "information" from the Labor/union inspired "Save the XX line" pages on Facebook, which tend to be loaded with with misleading or incorrect facts.

Their latest attempt is "Restore the inner west line - Liverpool via Regents Park". It started out blaming the metro for the loss; when I pointed that these services were to be cancelled under Labor's Rail Clearways program (although they didn't come into effect until 2013) long before the metro was Gladys's dream, they at least changed the page, but I got banned anyway.
You're too radical even for the radicals boronia.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... f7f827342b

Western Sydney mayors Khal Asfour and Ned Mannoun demand Southwest Metro go ahead

Western Sydney mayors have urged Chris Minns to finish the Southwest Metro, despite ‘significant disruptions’ for commuters, and an $8bn cost blowout.
Lachlan Leeming

Daily Telegraph April 14, 2023 - 5:00AM

Western Sydney mayors have urged Chris Minns not to back down on finishing the Southwest Metro as the Premier conceded completing the project would involve “significant disruptions”.

Mr Minns on Thursday announced an independent review of the entire Sydney Metro network, as it was revealed that upgrading the heavy rail between Sydenham and Bankstown could result in a 15-month shutdown.

The Premier and Transport Minister Jo Haylen will push for an interim review to be completed by June, aimed at identifying how the network could be finished amid cost blowouts and delays.

The Daily Telegraph yesterday revealed tens of thousands of passengers who travel on the busy T3 line could be forced onto replacement buses for the 13km stretch between Sydenham and Bankstown to allow for the construction work.

The forecasted budget for the project has also blown out by another $2bn, with a total bill $8bn above earlier projections.

But Liverpool Mayor Ned Mannoun, who has thousands of constituents who use the T3 line to get to the city, said cancelling the project would “condemn the people of southwest Sydney to a lifetime of traffic”.

Mr Mannoun said of the 15-month proposed shutdown: “We can’t have progress without some inconvenience. If we adopted this attitude (to construction), we’d only have a four-lane Harbour Bridge,” he said.

Canterbury-Bankstown Mayor Khal Asfour — whose council area spans the majority of the southwest line — said he was “surprised and angry” at the cost blowout and lengthy shutdown, but said the project must go ahead.

“Whilst the government decision to conduct a review is expected, I will be actively working to ensure the completion of the Metro line to Bankstown,” he said.

“This project is too far down the track to be turning back now.”

Mr Minns said the review was part of “assembling a team to resuscitate and put back on track” the Metro projects.

“I don’t pretend it will be easy, in fact the road ahead will be difficult,” he said.

He said the review would also explore options like adding more stations along the Metro West linking Parramatta and the CBD.

Survey: Do you think a new metro is worth 15 months without trains?
Yes - the short-term disruption will pay off
82 %
No - that's too long without a train service
18 %

The Premier added he thought it was unlikely the review would recommend dumping the Southwest Metro because weekend work was already under way and contracts were in place for its construction.

He said he was “determined to deliver on the projects that we promised in the election campaign”, including the Southwest Metro, and he was hopeful it could be done without shutting parts of the track down for more than a year.

“Our initial briefings from Metro is that there are other ways of delivering on that project that don’t involve a 15-month shutdown.

“But I’ve got to be honest, they’re not disruption free. They involve significant disruptions,” Mr Minns said.

Bankstown resident Gina Chen (pictured above, in poll) said having to catch a bus instead of a train into the city “wouldn’t be ideal”.

“I’m a student so I use the train all the time,” she said.

Guilherma Costo and James Kim, who were catching the train at Bankstown on Thursday, said they would both struggle if the line was closed for more than a year.

“I use the train here a fair bit so 15 months without them wouldn’t be good,” Mr Costo said.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Just get it done Chris. Welcome to the world of inheriting projects. That busy line will benefit enormously. 1.5 years is not that long and it's perfect timing in the election cycle. The short term angst will be alleviated when it opens and they'll think fanTasTic!!.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:20 pm Just get it done Chris. Welcome to the world of inheriting projects. That busy line will benefit enormously. 1.5 years is not that long and it's perfect timing in the election cycle. The short term angst will be alleviated when it opens and they'll think fanTasTic!!.
Dan canceled the east west link road tunnel project after the 2014 Victorian election I don't think our premier wants a east west sized backlash when it comes to canceling transport projects
Ps I'm live in Sydney but I do keep up with news from states other then NSW from time to time
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Think people are getting their wires crossed. The Metro from Sydenham through to Bankstown will be completed, albeit delayed by a year or so and with a shutdown of up to 15 months. It is the extension beyond to Glenfield that the incoming government is not proceeding with.
boronia

Post by boronia »

In the Telegraph today, the Liverpool and Inner West Mayors were pushing for the completion of this section.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:42 pm In the Telegraph today, the Liverpool and Inner West Mayors were pushing for the completion of this section.
I posted that above.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:31 pm Think people are getting their wires crossed. The Metro from Sydenham through to Bankstown will be completed, albeit delayed by a year or so and with a shutdown of up to 15 months. It is the extension beyond to Glenfield that the incoming government is not proceeding with.
Yes, Minns has confirmed that the Sydenham to Bankstown metro conversion won't be cancelled, but delayed as you mentioned. Little wonder that the previous government didn't want to tell the whole story prior to the election.

Although Minns has stated that Labor won't commit to a business case for an extension of the metro line from Bankstown to Glenfield (as well as the Metro West extension), I think that there is still a possibility that they may commit to the direct extension to Liverpool, but not a conversion from Liverpool to Glenfield, following the proposed review of the metro network.

That leaves the proposed extension and conversion of the SWRL to metro from Glenfield to Bradfield up in the air. A business case is currently being prepared, but there's no guarantee that it will actually stack up anyway. I'm not convinced as some are that it will directly link with the WSA metro to St Marys because of the limitation of 4 car trains and a different power source (AC v DC).

As Minns has committed to the preparation of business cases for the northern and southern extensions of the WSA metro to Schofields and Macarthur respectively, which would have common rolling stock and power feed, and declined to proceed with a business case for the extension of Metro West to Bradfield, then that opens up the possibility of extending the SWRL as part of the existing Sydney Trains' network from Leppington to the Airport Business Park, utilising the corridor reserved for the Metro West extension. We would finish up with a metro line from Schofields to Macarthur via the airport and Bradfield and a separate heavy rail line integrated with the existing network from Glenfield to the Airport Terminal and Business Park. Any comments on the latter proposal should be made on the WSA metro thread.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Transtopic wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:31 pm
Linto63 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:31 pm Think people are getting their wires crossed. The Metro from Sydenham through to Bankstown will be completed, albeit delayed by a year or so and with a shutdown of up to 15 months. It is the extension beyond to Glenfield that the incoming government is not proceeding with.
Yes, Minns has confirmed that the Sydenham to Bankstown metro conversion won't be cancelled, but delayed as you mentioned. Little wonder that the previous government didn't want to tell the whole story prior to the election.
The delay to 2025 for the Sydenham to Bankstown section was announced last October, as reported in this very thread, it just didn't get much airtime. They were quick to blame the delays on unions, as some of the NIF-related industrial action affected access to the rail corridor for certain works.
alleve

Post by alleve »

jpp42 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:42 am
Transtopic wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:31 pm Yes, Minns has confirmed that the Sydenham to Bankstown metro conversion won't be cancelled, but delayed as you mentioned. Little wonder that the previous government didn't want to tell the whole story prior to the election.
The delay to 2025 for the Sydenham to Bankstown section was announced last October, as reported in this very thread, it just didn't get much airtime. They were quick to blame the delays on unions, as some of the NIF-related industrial action affected access to the rail corridor for certain works.
The 15 month shutdown and associated cost blowouts were only found out now
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Yet the Liberals still lost. Imagine the majority Labor would be enjoying if it was known just before.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

First train to run under Sydney Harbour in early hours, 91 years after loco chugged over bridge

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fir ... 5d1n4.html

Who is going to Sydenham on Friday morning to get pictures?
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:40 pm First train to run under Sydney Harbour in early hours, 91 years after loco chugged over bridge

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fir ... 5d1n4.html

Who is going to Sydenham on Friday morning to get pictures?
The first week of testing is between Chatswood and Barangaroo. Next Friday, they'll start testing through to Sydenham.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The Tele claimed the "pilot run" would be going to martin Place, but:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/wat ... 5d27j.html
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”