Working for Ventura

Information about employment in the Transport Industry, job advertisements etc.
Please use the relevant State icon when posting.

Moderators: Ken, MAN 16.242

Ireland1966

Working for Ventura

Post by Ireland1966 »

Hi all, Looking for information in relation to working for Ventura. The offer is 60,000 dollars per year and the questions are as follows.....
Emigrating from Ireland is this wage enough to live on for a family of 2 adults + 3 children (11,6+ newborn) taking Rent, Food, Bills and running a car.
Is Ventura a good company to work for.
What type of shifts would a new employee do the depot would be Knox or Oakleigh.
And finally the offer of 60,000 would you need to do much O/T to get that type of wage, Sorry for all the questions it's such a big move I am just trying to gather as much info as possible. Be greatful for any replies. Thanx
Ireland1966

Re: Working for Ventura

Post by Ireland1966 »

Thanx for the PM Michael, not senior enough to reply back directly. I will see if I get any more replies but will take your advice on board. If you read this you said you were comfortable on your wage does your wife work as mine wouldn't be from the start. Thanx again
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

I think you if scroll down you will see a few threads in relation to this as these might answer your question.But there are number of members on here that Venturer drivers they beable to help.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

If you read this you said you were comfortable on your wage does your wife work as mine wouldn't be from the start.
No, my wife stays home and looks after the kids. The other consideration is that we get Family Allowance (a government payment for each child) which you may need to investigate to see if you qualify which helps.
Ireland1966

Post by Ireland1966 »

Thanx again Krustyklo, will look into that.
simonl

Post by simonl »

I think feeding 4 mouths on $60k will be fairly tough if you would be buying a house in an expensive area. Might have to go for a less desirable location to live, I'm afraid.
Ireland1966

Post by Ireland1966 »

Thanx simonl, would only be renting initially. Not looking for a palace but not a dive either.
Ireland1966

Post by Ireland1966 »

Thanx Bedford for PM, It's more the working conditions at Ventura if you could help
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Yes, detailed advice would be wise. It would depend on the type of visa that you get. Family Assistance Benefits are paid to:
1. an Australian resident
2. a special category visa holder residing in Australia

If you fully qualify (contact ato.gov.au to find out) then, from July 1, 2012 - you will end up paying no net income tax on $60,000 with a dependant wife and three children. In fact, you would receive an additional government payment of (I think) about $10,000 (with children as described). Of course, you will still have to pay our GST (VAT) at 10% on most things that you buy. Rents for a three bedroom house in the outer suburbs are about $400 per week for a no frills house. Petrol is cheaper in Australia, about two thirds of the price in Ireland. Food prices are a bit cheaper too. Energy costs are lower because the climate is more moderate.
Paddycon

Post by Paddycon »

Nice to see another one of the Irish candidates on here i thought i was the only one and was afraid to start talking in case people would give out about us foreigners coming down to take there jobs,
there's a lot of info here about the ventura employment process in other threads from what i see there employees all seem to be well treated and happy but working long hours witch will be a nice change from what there is in Ireland at the minute, have a read through the other threads and you should find a lot of info.

Good luck with the application process and fingers crossed we'll get positive word back soon from the interviews.
Ireland1966

Post by Ireland1966 »

Thanx Paddycon, I'll keep looking, yeah hopefully it's all positive news, really looking forward to it. Are you from DB at the moment I am SH.
Paddycon

Post by Paddycon »

no im not at DB im working for a private company on school contracts atm enjoying the work but almost living of my savings the past while so some thing needs to change. really hope I get some good news about this soon so i can start to get things moving.
mocara13

Post by mocara13 »

I have also applied for one of these positions and have had an interview. I take it Paddycon and Ireland1966 you have still not had any word back from the Company? The suspense is killing me!
I would appreciate if any of the senior posters who work for Ventura could pm me advice or information on the company and the shifts, what would the actual average salary be? Like Ireland1966 I have a wife and three kids so would have similar concerns. Thanks in advance for any help greatly appreciated.
Ireland1966

Post by Ireland1966 »

Hi Mocara, Yeah applied and waiting with fingers crossed need to get out of this sh1t hole of a place. The information you see here are the replies I got didn't get any feedback about shifts or the earnings. If you find out anything by PM will you put it on the forum thanx. Also just a thanx to System Improver, looked into that supplement, cant claim it unless your a resident, cant claim on a 457 visa.
thepalemoon

Post by thepalemoon »

hi have done the interview for jobs in austalia only done mine last week not sure how many people they were interviewing but cant wait to get news one way or another.does anyone know how many jobs they have got i read they had got permission for a tolal of 50 people but seen an article where if they found 100 they would take them.am a bit confussed about the salary after reading the web site as they say with ot you can earn 60k but the jobs in ireland were advertised at 63k but did not mention if you had to do ot to get this if anyone can clear up the salarys that are being pad that would be great
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

thepalemoon wrote:hi have done the interview for jobs in austalia only done mine last week not sure how many people they were interviewing but cant wait to get news one way or another.does anyone know how many jobs they have got i read they had got permission for a tolal of 50 people but seen an article where if they found 100 they would take them.am a bit confussed about the salary after reading the web site as they say with ot you can earn 60k but the jobs in ireland were advertised at 63k but did not mention if you had to do ot to get this if anyone can clear up the salarys that are being pad that would be great
Most full time route service bus drivers in Melbourne are earning about $65,000-67,000 a year as an average. There are opportunities to bump that up higher a little bit, perhaps into the low $70k range, it all really depends on how much extra overtime you are wanting to put in. But as a general rule, somewhere in the mid $60k range is a pretty accurate idea of what you can expect. That is before tax of course. :)
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
thepalemoon

Post by thepalemoon »

Thanks v981 that helps a lot I have no problem doing some extra o/t but when i was checking out the cost of living a lot of people are saying that under 60k you would struggle to have a good lifestyle.From reading other posts it seems the Irish will be made welcome when they get over.
Ireland1966

Post by Ireland1966 »

The palemoon, if you go to Boards.ie and put How's life in NZ/OZ in the search box you will get a list of items. Scroll down and pick out the the item with the name you just typed it's normally the 3rd one down. There is 131 pages go to page 129 and read from there. I posted a topic about moving to OZ working for 60,000 a year and could you survive. Got few replies you should read them. I am still waiting too no word as yet.
thepalemoon

Post by thepalemoon »

Thanks Ireland 1966 all the information helps It would be just me and my partner who would be moving and she would have no problem getting a good job if i had a family and had a job in Ireland i would not even consider moving to melbourne for that type of money I had been worried that the 60k salary that was been talked about was a basic salary and overtime to get you to 60k as when you look on the website the salary is said to be up to 60k including o/t but from the responses got and read elsewhere the website is not up to date.I work with a private company here but I have spoken to a few guys from dublin bus who went for the interviews but have discovered that they will be loosing money as some of them with o/t are earning 45k and more per year and they did not realise the cost of living in melbourne so two of the guys i was speaking with are not going to except the job if it is offered to them.For me and my partner its more about a change of scenery as we would have a combined salary of well over 150k.Have you made a decision about excepting the job if its offered to you.All i was told after the interview was that it would be a couple of weeks before i would hear anything and i am sure if there is another interview still to be done.
Ireland1966

Post by Ireland1966 »

All interviews are over I got a reply yesterday didn't get the job I am gutted. Just to let you know I asked at the interview she told me on ave you will earn 55k and that was with o/t you will have to do extra o/t to get to the 60k + . Also the shifts are middle duties (1 till 9) or something like that and lates. I know another guy who went and was told the same most duties middle shifts, just something to be mindful if your offered the job no turning back if you say yes. Best of luck anyway.
thepalemoon

Post by thepalemoon »

Sorry to hear that i still have not got any news one way or the other thanks for the info been honest i did not ask a lot of questions about the job
dublinlad

Post by dublinlad »

Hi guys I also done the interviews in Dublin for the jobs with ventura only found this site by accident today.I have not got anyword back about the job sorry to hear ireland1966 you did not get the job.When I done the interview it was just with one guy sort of an informal chat while i was filling out some forms and then i was brought out on the bus,just wondering Ireland1966 reading your post it sounds like you had an interview first and does anyone know how many jobs there is alltogether.Thanks for all the posts guys it was a great help and if anyone else has any other sites to look at would be great
Ireland1966

Post by Ireland1966 »

Hi Dublinlad, Yeah when I went for my interview I met a chap called Geri I filled out a couple of forms, then he gave me a computer and I did a personality test. After that I went for a drive with Jimmy and another guy, when I got back I went into a room and I had an interviev on Skype with a girl called Melissa from Australia and when I finished talking to her it was over. They were looking for 50 drivers at the start but if they got 100 candidates that were suitable they were taking them. Best of luck.
nollaigcarr

Post by nollaigcarr »

Hi Guys, I am a driver with db and have recently gone for a medial. I have heard nothing since, but reckon I should hear back soon with ether good or bad news. I'm hoping for good. After yesterdays news of the Dublin Bus Cost cuttingsThe management proposals include a review of working arrangements - including cuts in overtime, premium and shift payments, sick leave and annual leave entitlements, and what ever cuts the government might have in mind, I think Melbourne sounds better everyday. I have been doing my sums on living in Melbourne and rents are a bit dear(outer suburbs range between $350-$400 for 3 bed ), but food prices are on par with Ireland.....Best of luck
Paddycon

Post by Paddycon »

Ive done the medical too, it went well and I met a couple of other guys that were in doing it at the same time they were sound chaps and really looking forward to moving to Melbourne.
When we were there we were talking about visa's and trying to figure out how long it takes to get the Visa sorted out? I heard between 3 and 6 months but from looking on-line ive read up to 18 months :shock:. If it does take so long would we be brought out on a working holiday Visa initially while the 457 paper work is done?

Also any ideas how long it'll take to get word of the next stage after the Medical?

Return to “Employment in the Transport Industry”