Tasmanian Bus Observations - NOV 2011

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well another month is here. Been quite a few mainland operators floating around Hobart in the last few days. Another cruise ship berthed today, however, strangely enough there were NO coaches operating neither tours OR shuttle (mind you it was quite small, compared to some others) :mrgreen:
Tas Bus Nut

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations - NOV 2011

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well, the big change at Metro in Tassie has been the contracting out of cleaning/fuelling services statewide. Yesterday (6th) was commenced with Burnie, 8th @ Launceston, with Hobart starting 13th. Trainers are out and about at the moment training the new contractors how to drive the buses. I for one, will be definately doing a more thorough PDC before leaving the yard :lol: Cannot remember who won the contract, but I'm sure yoda or someone will inform us (they remember the details better than me) :roll:
yoda

Post by yoda »

ICS (International Cleaning Services) won the contract.
They require a licence even though they won't be driving them on the road because the yard is a "communal area".

In other "upcoming" observations, 20th November will hold the Point to Pinnacle (some sort of marathony thing) which is supported by Metro and will involve over 35 buses to the top of Mt Wellington to bring everyone back down. (Gents, get your camera's out :lol:)

245 has been taken off the road due to the DIER accreditation (I assume for the steerable tag axle) expiring. With 201 in the workshops, and 203 in the panel shop, 14.5's are a rare sight on the road. Metro Man had 726 in replacement of a 14.5 today.

Edit: 314 will once again be in the Hobart Christmas Pageant on November 19th with bothwell flyer and Metro Man for HO-FM. Wonder where the strategically placed balls will be this year? :lol:
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Hope they don't break down this year :lol:
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Last months observations, a Q was asked about #631s repaint. YES ALL white with yellow front. #629 going same way.

O'Driscolls Coaches #13 (new Bothwell bus M.A.N. 14.240) is now painted with blue bumpers.

Apparently, the bike racks have been removed PERMANENTLY :!: YAY :!: Another lovely waste of $$$$$$$.

Arriving tomorrow (WED 9th) sees the arrival of the biggest cruise ship visiting Hobart this season - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS.
With it's size, hopefully there should be a HUGE amount of coaches operating shore excursions. Stay tuned :mrgreen:
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

13 is getting a full blue front like a metro yellow.
Too dark IMHO.
Drove it the other day...mixed feelings.

I like the dash, weird as it looks.
goes well at city speeds but frankly disappointing performance on the highway where it just didn't seem to pull on hills like I would have thought.
Maybe it will loosen up in time. Maybe it's a break in tune.
Either way, seemed to me to be lackluster above 70 or so.
Apart from that it's not bad.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Derwent wrote:13 is getting a full blue front like a metro yellow.
Too dark IMHO.
Looks good IMO. Wonder what colour the headlight surrounds will be though. Something different :mrgreen:

#302 - Tasmanian Racing Club has had it's AOA REMOVED today.
Last edited by Tas Bus Nut on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoda

Post by yoda »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:#302 - Tasmanian Racing Club has had it's AOA REMOVED today. Apparently Cadbury are no longer sponsoring the Hobart Cup.
Looks very naked.
royaltiger
Favourite Vehicle: Royal Tiger Worldmaster !

Post by royaltiger »

Tas Bus Nut wrote: Yesterday (6th) was commenced with Burnie, 8th @ Launceston, with Hobart starting 13th.
Other way around, Launceston started 6th, Burnie on 8th (was closed on Sunday and Monday).

Full HR licencing is not required by law if the road network is not accessed, but Metro and its insurers require it. It makes no difference in Launceston as the buses cannot avoid encroaching on the road space to get back to the bowsers.
Love this island!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

royaltiger wrote:Other way around, Launceston started 6th, Burnie on 8th (was closed on Sunday and Monday).
Yes, those dates were said yesterday at the management meeting, however were printed in the "communicator" the other way round, which is what I quoted off :mrgreen:
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

Observed Uncle Trev driving one of the Volgren 14.5's on duty #839 outward the other day :shock: . 5.10pm X1 outward. A sign of things to come :roll: .
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
yoda

Post by yoda »

leyland clippers wrote:Observed Uncle Trev driving one of the Volgren 14.5's on duty #839 outward the other day :shock: . 5.10pm X1 outward. A sign of things to come :roll: .
yoda wrote:245 has been taken off the road due to the DIER accreditation (I assume for the steerable tag axle) expiring. With 201 in the workshops, and 203 in the panel shop, 14.5's are a rare sight on the road.
Yes, 202 has been temporarily assigned to Uncle Trev. After Monday AM, he will have a bendy.
245 is not allowed on the road at all due to the permit expiring for the steerable tag axle.
AEC Regal

Post by AEC Regal »

yoda wrote:
leyland clippers wrote:Observed Uncle Trev driving one of the Volgren 14.5's on duty #839 outward the other day :shock: . 5.10pm X1 outward. A sign of things to come :roll: .
yoda wrote:245 has been taken off the road due to the DIER accreditation (I assume for the steerable tag axle) expiring. With 201 in the workshops, and 203 in the panel shop, 14.5's are a rare sight on the road.
Yes, 202 has been temporarily assigned to Uncle Trev. After Monday AM, he will have a bendy.
245 is not allowed on the road at all due to the permit expiring for the steerable tag axle.
This seems bizarre to me. Why did 245 need a DIER permit / accreditation for its steerable tag axles and how can the permit expire? Either its accredited to run or not - unless it has recently been modified and voided the permit? Surely any road vehicle built for service in Australia should only be sold after regulatory approval in the first place, so how did Metro even get a vehicle that is not fully and permanently accredited and approved to run? Unless, the tag axle is a custom Metro modification?
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

AEC Regal wrote:This seems bizarre to me. Why did 245 need a DIER permit / accreditation for its steerable tag axles and how can the permit expire? Either its accredited to run or not - unless it has recently been modified and voided the permit? Surely any road vehicle built for service in Australia should only be sold after regulatory approval in the first place, so how did Metro even get a vehicle that is not fully and permanently accredited and approved to run? Unless, the tag axle is a custom Metro modification?
D.I.E.R. work in mysterious ways and are a law unto themselves. Cannot fart without them wanting to know why :evil:
yoda wrote: 245 is not allowed on the road at all due to the permit expiring for the steerable tag axle.
Expired (I believe) Oct 31 :?: (according to some of your previous posts), however they must have had a exemption to allow training of the new refuellers, as #245 was on the road Thursday when I passed it in Main Rd New Town :shock:
yoda

Post by yoda »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Expired (I believe) Oct 31 :?: (according to some of your previous posts), however they must have had a exemption to allow training of the new refuellers, as #245 was on the road Thursday when I passed it in Main Rd New Town :shock:
Interesting.... it was moved during the week when room was required in Sick Bay and the call over the radio went "it's in lane 16, no one is to move it"
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

Metro contract out their fuellers? Seriously? Is this new or has the contractor just changed?

If this is new, what has happened to the existing Metro fuellers and cleaners?

Never heard of this being done elsewhere, cleaners yes but not fuellers.
yoda

Post by yoda »

Yes, this is a new thing. Previously it was done "in-house".
Existing fuellers and cleaners that also drove have returned to the full driving roster and those that didn't drive were made redundant.
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

That's a pretty disgusting way to treat staff to save a few dollars, especially considering that Metro are government so aren't even in business for profit.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

The way things are going, the DRIVERS will be next - DON'T LAUGH, I bet they'd be looking at it :evil: Already done similar with radio operator
metro_tas
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Post by metro_tas »

forgot to mention that all buses listed in the fleetlists at satellite yards are no longer there... buses are now all springfield buses. Buses are dispatched in the arvo to satellite drivers they use any ole bus for their 2nd half and for their 1st half... bought back cleaned and refuelled then a new bus dispatched again that arvo... :( no more shinny wheels
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

metro_tas wrote:forgot to mention that all buses listed in the fleetlists at satellite yards are no longer there... buses are now all springfield buses.
Except for the NON-urban buses :mrgreen:
metro_tas
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Post by metro_tas »

11, 191, 628, 640 and 656 correct? and duty 839 until sunday?
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

metro_tas wrote:11, 191, 628, 640 and 656 correct? and duty 839 until sunday?
Close :!: U forgot #15 @ Cygnet :mrgreen:
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

metro_tas wrote:11, 191, 628, 640 and 656 correct? and duty 839 until sunday?
What :!: :!: :!: Uncle Trev's favourite duty gone :?: :shock: :shock:
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Fav duty, fav bus, place is falling apart at the seams :evil: At least the buses will now be cleaner :lol: always fuelled :lol: and same bus on same routes :lol: Not a happy worksite at the moment, worst I've EVER seen it :(

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”