Obscure & forgotten services/other - who remembers?

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

In Transit

Re: Obscure & forgotten services/other - who remembers?

Post by In Transit »

Ah the old 102/3/4.... These ran from around the early 90s to the early 00s.

The 102 ran Como-Fremantle via the city, and both the 103 and 104 ran from Salter Point to Fremantle, also via the city. They all shared a common route from Canning Highway over the Causeway, down St Georges Tce, QEII and Stirling Hwy to Freo. For much of the day on weekdays, alternate 102 and 103's ran down Stirling Hwy with a 20 minute off peak headway. As was common at the time, the 104 was an after hours combination of the other two routes, running at night and on weekends.

The 102 was split sometime around 1999, with the 32 replacing the 102 between the city and Como, whilst the 103 continued as a through route until being also split in the city sometime after 2002. As with so many through routes, timekeeping during the peaks could be a bit tricky. At the time of splitting the 102, it was still worthwhile keeping the 103 as a through route due to the economics of the depots operating it in those days.

IIRC, for a short time the 32's city terminus was on Kings Park Road near Havelock Street, which had been a busier terminus in the pre-City Busport days but hadn't been used as such for a few years.
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

Thanks VL6MT. Plenty of memories for us both on at least one of those timetables I imagine....

I'm trying to remember if the 32 West Perth terminus was later shifted to the 33's old Kings Park terminus for a while. I certainly remember intending to move it there, and alternate it with 33's, but can't remember if it actually happened. Another fairly short lived experiment was extending every second 32 to Booragoon in the off peak, but this wasn't particularly successful.
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

No I think the 32 (KP) must be a strong residual idea you had back in the day AB. Memories? The 72 in a linc at Cott and of course the 200!
I still recall seeing a 32 Booragoon ext arrow on the corner of Canning & Thelma somewhere or thereabouts
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

Taking out Linc's on the 72 remains my favourite memory of driving in Perth... and although I managed a few artics on the 200, I mainly remember balmy nights on the 200 in 11xx Renaults....

This isn't my pic - I'm on the other side of the lens - but it highlights one of the reasons why a Linc bus on the 72 was good fun.
IMG_1062.JPG
That 32/33 concept will have to be added to the pile of ideas that never quite made it... The 32 was - and is - one of the very few South Perth routes that didn't seem to need a ridiculous number of turns to get a very short distance. My strongest memory of the 32 is waiting out the morning peak at the Como terminus, with a recalcitrant 1047 that wouldn't start - back in the days of 1047 wearing a different Lotteries livery every year.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

That hump was lengendary wasn't it?....how fast you could take an artic over it - and they loved it....like the driver!
Awesome shot as an example
ozi_mister_d
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305 UQB-171

Post by ozi_mister_d »

In Transit wrote:Taking out Linc's on the 72 remains my favourite memory of driving in Perth....
if I can add to that... my first 2 days out of driving school in 1992 was clippers... third day was ... take co-driver AND artic (711 it was), and do... 72, Curtin Ave Cottesloe to Beaton St Wilson
my first paying passenger ever, was first stop in Broome St, after Salvado St

the Salvado St hump was always (and still is - even if its in the car), a favourite, as was the Adie Crt loop
Michael
TP-1120 was the last bus I drove for Metrobus, Saturday 27th June 1998.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

ah the old clippers (particularly in Panthers).....good training ground it was for later. It felt like freedom when that initial punishment ended
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Adie Ct - loved it!
wachris

Post by wachris »

I was driving to Toodyay on the weekend and passing through Gidgegannup. I recalled a trial route 336 years ago from Midland. Only lasted 3 months I think.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

PaxInfo wrote:Some more.

Route 342, 344 etc
Old transperth tts f16.jpg
Old transperth tts f16 2.jpg
A bit later (22/10/06)
Old transperth tts se17.jpg
Old transperth tts se17 2.jpg
38 & 39 still exist, 342 is probably what is now route 284
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

I remembered a Bus route that serviced around Neerabup back in the days and I cannot remember what was the route number. That bus route serviced between Joondalup Stn and Neerabup.
Bus Suggestions

Not sure about yours, Shoudy but... Does anybody have a 867 timetable?(Perth City Busport (EQBS)-Mandurah BS)
900 series

Post by 900 series »

September 2003
S121.gif
S121.gif (89.65 KiB) Viewed 18599 times
S121 Map.gif
S121 Map.gif (104.86 KiB) Viewed 18599 times
July 2006
(Sorry for the bad quality, I only have this one on paper)
S131.JPG
S131.JPG (155.69 KiB) Viewed 18599 times
Shoudy, could perhaps be the old 490 (before Clarkson station opened) that came down Wanneroo Rd and Joondalup Drive to Joondalup Station?
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

I had a terrible memory but yes it was. That 490 from Clarkson Stn travelled to 2 Rocks via Wanneroo Rd (where Marmion Av wasn't extended until 2008). There was a bus route via Carabooda, Eglinton and Yanchep National Park.
I also remembered the 155 that traveled from Freo to Cannington via Garden City, Leavh Hwy, High Rd, Parts of Lynwood and to Cannington. That bus was operated by Southern Coast Transit.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

User 11872 wrote:That hump was lengendary wasn't it?....how fast you could take an artic over it - and they loved it....like the driver!
Awesome shot as an example
The most fun I ever had on a bus was on a tour a few years ago when I was in a very old Volvo artic (B58 Brown Bomber I think it was) in the seat just behind the turntable going from Scarborough to Hillarys up the coast road. So many hills and bumps and such great feelings going over them all...
Bus Suggestions

Hmm... Honestly can't remember. I know the 404 was 277... But is the 403 the old 276 or 278? Any old TTs?
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

403 was renumbered from 276 (although has since had route changes). 278 was the after-hours route.
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

I do have a 276, 277, 278 timetable from the mid 1980s but I'd have to dig in the archives in my cupboard to scan and post

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
900 series

Post by 900 series »

Bus Suggestions wrote:Hmm... Honestly can't remember. I know the 404 was 277... But is the 403 the old 276 or 278? Any old TTs?
Should be one at web.archive.org/web/*/www.transperth.wa ... rthern 56* (before 2011 when it was moved to TT58)
Bus Suggestions

Sorry 900 series, URL doesn't work.
sylar

Post by sylar »

I'll have to go for a wonder to see if it's still there but i'm 99% sure there is a yellow 276 direction sign mounted on a pole somewhere on or around Royal St in Tuart Hill
Bus Suggestions

Nah, I know that sign, if I'm right cnr York & Royal facing eastbound. I live in the area, that's why I asked the question. :lol: :D
Perth Jaywalker

Post by Perth Jaywalker »

From Google maps street view: the yellow direction sign on Royal St eastbound before York was just labelled BUS (no routes going straight ahead), although it has been moved one post back over the years:
Royal St before York
Royal St before York
York St northbound before Royal had a left yellow sign for 276 and 278 (unfortunately no higher resolution available), but now it is 403. By default 277 stayed on York St:
York St before Royal
York St before Royal
York b Royal.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 17021 times
Speaking of route 277, the Google street view van happened to capture a Renault doing a run to Perth while passing York St:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-31.896 ... 312!8i6656
Bus Suggestions

While not necessarily obscure and/or forgotten routes, I stumbled upon photographs from October at the State Library of WA where I found a pamphlet about transport to/from UWA, probably dated around 2003 after the routes 8, 10 and 12 west of Perth were merged into route 26 but prior to the Mandurah Line.
Route list to/from UWA.
Route list to/from UWA.
20191010_161609.jpg
20191010_161628.jpg
20191010_161634.jpg
subtekjr

Post by subtekjr »

Hi all, sorry to bump such an old thread, but I noticed earlier in the thread that Route 29 was mentioned. I'm currently doing my own little project getting together a large list of routes including as much info as I can find (maps, not the times tho). Idea is to get the most recent incarnation of every route number I can find, then fill in the gaps with ones I make myself (for example assuming that 902 and 903 are going to be rail replacement for Baysie to High Wycombe, and Baysie to Ellenbrook) to make a big "what if" if every number had a bus route attached.

The biggest route that's troubling me is 29. I see two different bus routes mentioned, one from WEC (I'm assuming West End Causeway?) to top of Malcolm, and one that briefly replaced 28? The older image of the former is Imageshack and therefore gone, but does anyone have either map?

So that I'm not just asking and not giving anything, I come bearing a gift.

Metrobus' website had a signifcant amount of route maps and timetables that I've dug up that cover basically just 1997, but they are quite extensive given how much of the network they covered. It features many routes that I wasn't able to find through TP's website (because it doesn't seem possible to see any timetables that old on TP's site).

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ww ... wa.gov.au/*

Look through Page 2 onwards, it gives a list of all the routes they listed on their site, with options for both the timetables and route maps. They seem to be the only provider that had their own routes listed on their site, as I can't find the same info for Southern Coast Transit or Path (which sucks, those two cover many missing routes that I'd like to find). Been really useful myself and you guys might enjoy looking through!

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”