Timetable project of mine

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Re: Timetable project of mine

Post by busdriver12 »

I've updated the database to include the huge amount of changes so far for 2021. Both docs in my sig have been updated.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Today's changes entered and last changes for the year. Details in the sig.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

It's been brought to my attention that the links in my sig are broken and reported by Dropbox that they have been deleted.

These links have now been fixed and should now be working.
Phil

busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Updated as of changes of 27th February. I've also started a 2022 version of contract area information.

Links for both in my sig.
Phil

busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Today's update see changes to 18 timetables and 42 bus routes. There will be another change for next week's Ferry timetable update - I'll update my sig when it's done.

After that, the next edition will see all the changes associated with the Airport Line opening on 10th October.
Phil

Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

Airport Line will see a major shake up of the Kalamunda bus package.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Enviro 500 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:51 pm Airport Line will see a major shake up of the Kalamunda bus package.
No way, really?

:roll: :roll:
Sarcasm heavily intended.
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Off The Rails wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:55 pm
Enviro 500 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:51 pm Airport Line will see a major shake up of the Kalamunda bus package.
No way, really?

:roll: :roll:
Sarcasm heavily intended.
It seems like Midland and Canning packages will be getting almost half of the new routes, including 292.
WEMBLEY 75

Post by WEMBLEY 75 »

Just out of curiosity I compiled a list of the TransRegional timetabled services for public transit. I did not include the three TransCarnarvon services because they are not published in the timetable format or the public transit services in Broome for a similar reason.

ROUTE SERVICE

800 Geraldton Circular Route (Central Regional TAFE & Geraldton Hospital)
803 Albany Circular Service (Middleton Beach & Emu Point)
804 Albany Circular Service (Bayonet Head, Spencer Park & Lower King)
805 Albany Circular Service (Little Grove)
806 Albany Circular Service (Yakamia & Milpara)
807 Albany Circular Service (Spencer Park)
808 Albany Circular Service (Lockyer & McKail)
810 Esperance Bus Station to Nulsen
811 Esperance Bus Station to Castletown
812 Esperance Bus Station to West Beach
815 Busselton to Dunsborough
816 Busselton to Vasse
817 Busselton Circular Service (Geographe)
825 Bunbury to Dolphin Discovery Centre
826 Bunbury to Bunbury Passenger Terminal
827 Bunbury to East Bunbury and Glen Iris
828 Bunbury to Health Campus
829 Bunbury to Health Campus
830 Bunbury to College Grove
832 Bunbury to Health Campus
841 Bunbury to Australind
842 Park Centre to Dalyellup
843 Bunbury to Dalyellup
844 Bunbury to Eaton-Millbridge
845 Bunbury to Australind
850 Geraldton to Drummond Cove
851 Geraldton to Forrester Park
852 Geraldton to Spalding
853 Geraldton Circular Route (Utakarra & Rangeway)
854 Geraldton to Wandina
855 Geraldton Circular Route (Mahaomets Flats, Wandina & Mt Tarcoola)
856 Geraldton Circular Route (West End & Beachlands)
861 Kalgoorlie Circular Service (Hannans)
862 Kalgoorlie Circular Service (Boulder)
863 Kalgoorlie Circular Service (Somerville & Boulder)
865 Boulder to Coolgardie via Kalgoorlie
866 Kalgoorlie to Kambalda via Boulder
870 South Hedland to Port Hedland via Pretty Poole & Cooke Point
871 South Hedland Circular Service (Clockwise)
872 South Hedland Circular Service (Anticlockwise)
880 Point Samson to Dampier via Karratha
881 Dampier to Point Samson via Karratha
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

WEMBLEY 75 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:33 am Just out of curiosity I compiled a list of the TransRegional timetabled services for public transit. I did not include the three TransCarnarvon services because they are not published in the timetable format or the public transit services in Broome for a similar reason.

ROUTE SERVICE

861 Kalgoorlie Circular Service (Hannans)
862 Kalgoorlie Circular Service (Boulder)
863 Kalgoorlie Circular Service (Somerville & Boulder)
865 Boulder to Coolgardie via Kalgoorlie
866 Kalgoorlie to Kambalda via Boulder
There is also the once a weekday 864 from Ningamia Community to St Barbara's Square. It can only be found via the Transperth app, though.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Changes for today (10/10/22) have been done. Have also updated the route/contract information. Link in my sig. Please pm me if there are any issues :)
Phil

WEMBLEY 75

Post by WEMBLEY 75 »

Thanks for that!

I found out that Route 864 is a once a day service departing Ningamia Community at 9.30 am Monday to Friday terminating at St Barbara's Square at 9.39 am. There is no return trip.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

busdriver12 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:59 pm Changes for today (10/10/22) have been done. Have also updated the route/contract information. Link in my sig. Please pm me if there are any issues :)
The link to timetables appears broken. Also, routes 14, 340 and 522 are no more. I believe 95 may fall under Claremont package too.
busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Enviro 500 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:32 pm The link to timetables appears broken.
By timetables I gather you are referring to the spreadsheet pointed to in the link in my sig? If so, the link works fine. I've tested it to make sure.
Also, routes 14, 340 and 522 are no more.
That's correct - you won't find them published as active routes in the spreadsheet. If you click on the Deleted tab you'll find them there.
I believe 95 may fall under Claremont package too.
Information is correct as published. It sounds like you may be looking at an old version of the spreadsheet. Click on the first tab titled Cover which will give the version date. Current version is 10/10/22.

FWIW, the link to the spreadsheet is https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/34ilclon ... 26zv8f9gik

HTH
Phil

busdriver12

Post by busdriver12 »

Should be the last update for 2022. Contract area information files also updated - links for both files in my sig.
Phil

PG1

Post by PG1 »

Thanks for the ongoing work, very interesting.

A related question if I may.
Do you - or others - know the answer to this (which to a Sydney based reader is a pure oddity):

Why does the Bus Timetable Number not relate to the actual number of the routes (eg: Bus Timetable 108 is for the 270-271 routes)?
I have, quickly, scanned the available information and I could not find a Bus Timetable that actually matches the route number(s).
If there are changes to, say, the 270-271 route and timings, does the new timetable get a new Bus Timetable number or would it stay as 108?

Many thanks.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

PG1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm Why does the Bus Timetable Number not relate to the actual number of the routes (eg: Bus Timetable 108 is for the 270-271 routes)?
I have, quickly, scanned the available information and I could not find a Bus Timetable that actually matches the route number(s).
This is a question that baffles those of us who live (or lived in) Perth. As far as I can guess, it's a purely nonsensical numbering system, except maybe when you file timetables neatly in numerical order in a timetable rack or if you're the PTA and need some way to tell them apart.
In theory, it should allow for easier reference where one timetable may be applicable to multiple routes, except there are inconsistencies along some corridors or between pairs of interchanges; some have composite timetables for the multiple routes along a core section (e.g. Cambridge St services), others do not (e.g. Beaufort St services). Some pairs of interchanges have one timetable covering all the routes (e.g. Cockburn to Aubin Grove), whereas others do not (e.g. Fremantle to Cockburn, for which there are three distinct timetables, for four routes, where three service the same geographical area).

In times past, the timetables were also colour-coded for the general area they serviced. These being Western (Blue), Southern (Orange), Eastern (Purple/Magenta), South-Eastern (Yellow) and Northern (Green), corresponding with the colour-coding of a nearby railway line.

It's a lot like the meaningless bus stop numbers, where a passenger might consult the Transperth Journeyplanner (sic), and receive instructions to "Catch the 123 to Stop 21698 Taradiddle Circuit before Circumlocutory Court". Of course the poor passenger cites the stop number to their bus driver, thinking the driver will be familiar with it (which is a sensible assumption in other cities where the stops are numbered sequentially on each route/major corridor), only to find their driver has no clue about the specific location of "Stop 21698 Taradiddle Circuit before Circumlocutory Court". It might be on a random street corner, or adjacent to a major landmark like a Church, Park, Shops, or school. The point being that, as with the timetables, there is a reason for this numbering system, but it doesn't necessarily seem to be for the benefit of the passenger.
PG1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm If there are changes to, say, the 270-271 route and timings, does the new timetable get a new Bus Timetable number or would it stay as 108?
That general area has just undergone a fairly major overhaul of services related to the opening of the Airport train line. While I cannot give an exhaustive account of what did and did not change, for the most part, I am reasonably certain the new or revised routes were kept on the same timetable numbers.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Merc1107 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:34 pm
PG1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm Why does the Bus Timetable Number not relate to the actual number of the routes (eg: Bus Timetable 108 is for the 270-271 routes)?
This is a question that baffles those of us who live (or lived in) Perth. As far as I can guess, it's a purely nonsensical numbering system, except maybe when you file timetables neatly in numerical order in a timetable rack or if you're the PTA and need some way to tell them apart.
In theory, it should allow for easier reference where one timetable may be applicable to multiple routes, except there are inconsistencies along some corridors or between pairs of interchanges; some have composite timetables for the multiple routes along a core section (e.g. Cambridge St services), others do not (e.g. Beaufort St services). Some pairs of interchanges have one timetable covering all the routes (e.g. Cockburn to Aubin Grove), whereas others do not (e.g. Fremantle to Cockburn, for which there are three distinct timetables, for four routes, where three service the same geographical area).

In times past, the timetables were also colour-coded for the general area they serviced. These being Western (Blue), Southern (Orange), Eastern (Purple/Magenta), South-Eastern (Yellow) and Northern (Green), corresponding with the colour-coding of a nearby railway line.

It's a lot like the meaningless bus stop numbers, where a passenger might consult the Transperth Journeyplanner (sic), and receive instructions to "Catch the 123 to Stop 21698 Taradiddle Circuit before Circumlocutory Court". Of course the poor passenger cites the stop number to their bus driver, thinking the driver will be familiar with it (which is a sensible assumption in other cities where the stops are numbered sequentially on each route/major corridor), only to find their driver has no clue about the specific location of "Stop 21698 Taradiddle Circuit before Circumlocutory Court". It might be on a random street corner, or adjacent to a major landmark like a Church, Park, Shops, or school. The point being that, as with the timetables, there is a reason for this numbering system, but it doesn't necessarily seem to be for the benefit of the passenger.
PG1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm If there are changes to, say, the 270-271 route and timings, does the new timetable get a new Bus Timetable number or would it stay as 108?
That general area has just undergone a fairly major overhaul of services related to the opening of the Airport train line. While I cannot give an exhaustive account of what did and did not change, for the most part, I am reasonably certain the new or revised routes were kept on the same timetable numbers.
Southeastern timetables 1-21
Western timetables 31-47
Northern timetables 56-85
Eastern timetables 86-110
Southern timetables 116-134

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

A bit of history on this - back in the 80s and 90s Transperth (previously MTT) used an alphanumeric reference for each timetable - A1, E2, F4, N6 etc. The letter represented a geographical region (e.g. A = Armadale) and numbering was sequential within each region, with A1, F1, J1 and M1 allocated to trains and S1 given to the South Perth ferry. Back when this was introduced it was common for a single timetable to contain a vast array of routes (in part because short-workings, after-hours combined routes and other variants were all given unique numbers) and I can see how the references would've helped frequent travellers find 'their' timetable amongst dozens of others.

In the late 90s the regions were consolidated into five - one for each train line plus a fifth for Rockingham. The colour-coding mentioned above was also introduced and the timetable names expanded to "Armadale 1", "Fremantle 1" and so on (with trains and ferries no longer numbered). In 2002 the region names changed to compass points and the numbering changed to run across the entire system per the post above. Then between 2014 and 2016 the regions were phased out, leaving behind only the current "Bus Timetable XYZ" numbering which, since it's now by itself (and is the only thing visible on timetable racks) looks more and more confusingly like it could be the actual route number.

As for changing timetable numbers, they usually keep things consistent but it does happen occasionally, usually when there are substantial network changes or if service improvements would put "too many" routes or trips on a single timetable. The exception is if a route becomes part of the High Frequency network (9xx route number), since high frequency timetables are (arbitrarily) numbered separately from the rest - so route 60 was on Bus Timetable 102, but now route 980 is on Bus Timetable 215 despite being the exact same route.
PG1 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm I have, quickly, scanned the available information and I could not find a Bus Timetable that actually matches the route number(s).
Route 116 used to be on Southern Timetable 116 - but that was 15 years ago and was no longer the case once the Mandurah Line opened (AFAIK there have been none since).
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
PG1

Post by PG1 »

Well, it certainly baffled a Sydney reader!!

Thanks to everyone for the history and information.

I do notice that the font size for the Bus Timetable Number is about double that of the size of the route numbers.
shinjiman

Timetable project of mine

Post by shinjiman »

Traklink wrote:In the late 90s the regions were consolidated into five - one for each train line plus a fifth for Rockingham. The colour-coding mentioned above was also introduced and the timetable names expanded to "Armadale 1", "Fremantle 1" and so on (with trains and ferries no longer numbered). In 2002 the region names changed to compass points and the numbering changed to run across the entire system per the post above. Then between 2014 and 2016 the regions were phased out, leaving behind only the current "Bus Timetable XYZ" numbering which, since it's now by itself (and is the only thing visible on timetable racks) looks more and more confusingly like it could be the actual route number.
During the same time, there were several timetables are specified onto several bus routes.
  • CircleRoute (initially in purple then in teal colour) - 98 & 99
  • High Frequency 1 (in teal colour) - 920
  • High Frequency 2 (in teal colour) - 940
  • Curtin University (in yellow colour) - 555, 883
  • University of WA (in blue colour) - 78
Later on they had been reallocated to the normal bus timetable series. HF1 to Southern 125 timetable, HF2 to Western 46 timetable, Curtin Uni to South Eastern 20 timetable, and UWA to Western 45 timetable.

The CircleRoute didn’t have any timetable number at that time, it had a number 200 later in time, it was split into two timetables numbered as 200 (98) and 201 (99) respectively, however this had only existed in a short period of time, then they had merged back to one single CircleRoute timetable later.
Last edited by shinjiman on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

So far, only 955 uses normal timetables while the rest of the 9xx routes have a different one. I believe this trend started with 910.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

The 940 (the real one) and 920 also did not use HF timetables, for what it's worth.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Merc1107 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:16 pm The 940 (the real one) and 920 also did not use HF timetables, for what it's worth.
Both were subsequently downgraded in later years. 920 faced stiff competition from 530 for the Fremantle-Spearwood portion.

955 using normal timetables gives the impression that it may be heavily impacted by MEL rationalisation.
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

950 was the first "new" HF timetable (not counting the CircleRoute) but the western section also appeared on the now-discontinued UWA composite timetable (Bus Timetable 45) for the first six months or so.

990 was initially on a regular timetable (Bus Timetable 77) until weekend services were upgraded to the high-frequency standard in late September 2015. After that all new 9xx routes went straight to a High Frequency timetable starting with 910 in October 2015.
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”