Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
BDAT

Re: Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Post by BDAT »

Looselion
Hi Again bit quicker this time.
My Uncle Bob used to say he could talk the birds out of the trees.
I did lend the book to a chap in Queensland a few years ago so he could copy it for a group he was involved with.
So at least I know a copy exist.
I know he had some photos so I will attempt to get them.
Cheers
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

The photos would be of great interest if you can dig them up.....!
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Touring the 'Outback' in the 1950s and 1960s always instilled a proud sense of adventure in the mostly 'city slicker' participants....
Travelling the thousands of kms of unsealed roads and roughing it under canvas at night seemed to bring out their inner 'Chips Rafferty.'
So much so that many who travelled on the great variety of Centre charter tours conducted by Redline ensured their adventurous spirit was recognized along the way by adorning their coach with ad-hoc signwriting, usually displaying their wide-ranging travel itinerary.
Here's one of many examples of this from the collection of Laurie MacBeth, I think from a Zeiss Ikon photographic charter.
Maybe a little hard to read in the photograph, but the full length of the coach's side brightwork was emblazoned on this trip, beginning "Sydney - Darwin - Sydney via Brisbane etc, etc...the last word visible being Adelaide."
I don't think Rex was ever overly thrilled with the practice, but he always allowed it.....while gritting his teeth over the clean up bill at tour's end.
Redline No 21 - Half Circular Australia Charter - Early 1960s (900 x 596).jpg
Industry

Post by Industry »

119552215_968178373701729_933592164753791133_o (1).jpg
Here is another Redline coach on tour cannot work out the location. Photo from internet
Industry

Post by Industry »

It appears to Lyndhurst in 1969
Industry

Post by Industry »

STORIES FROM THE ROAD.
By Liz Martin OAM
Throughout the 1950's and 1960's the Commonwealth Governments 'Two Airline Policy' rigidly controlled the airline passenger industry. In a less formal way this was reflected with the land based passenger industry which was dominated by two competitive major national coach companies. One was Reg Ansett's corporately owned Ansett-Pioneer and the other was Rex Law's privately owned Redline Coaches.
Redline was one of the largest coach companies in Australia. A great achievement for a man who'd had a troublesome childhood. Rex was barely seven years old when he suffered the tragedy of losing his father in an accidental death. It was a severe blow to the young boy and his family heralding tough times ahead. However, these hardships taught Rex how to stand on his own two feet and cope with adversity.
There was no welfare in those days. Consequently Rex left primary school in the early 1930s and went to work as a farm labourer to help his mother raise his siblings. By the mid 1940s he had managed to save enough money to buy his family a home in Cooperoo, Brisbane and it was this property that became the first Redline's first bus depot.
Every bedroom was filled with spare parts for the buses or componentry for Rex's beloved midget and road racer cars which was his passion. He managed to squeeze an office in where he worked on business related matters but also on various bus design developments in which he was also an acknowledged innovator.
The highset old style 'Queenslander ' home also managed to store up to eight buses around the yard with a maintenance facility / garage under the house.
It was during WWII that Rex Law fully developed his interest in road transport. He and his truck had been seconded by the Allied Works Council for the duration of the war. Rex and worked on military airfeilds and road construction during this period. He had watched in awe as bigger and more powerful trucks than he could ever imagine ruled the roads as part of the massive war contribution of the US Military.
Many of the bigger trucks; hundreds of Diamond Ts, Federals and NR Macks that went to the front line in Darwin entered the country through Brisbane.
Additionally, Brisbane was pretty heavily trafficked with defence vehicles in its own right because of the intended 'Brisbane Line' strategy. This was a defence proposal to concede the northern portion of the Australia to the enemy in the event of an invasion by the Japanese.
At wars end Rex became excited about the new industrialised Australia and the opportunities that existed for people movements. In 1946 he established a passenger service between Brisbane and Kyogle using ex-military seven seater Studebaker staff cars.
In the twenty-five years following Rex built up an enormous national coach transportation, touring and accommodation enterprise. Redline Bus Service carried freight and mail in addition to passengers.
Redline Coaches was realised through hard work and determination and Rex never letting go of his dream. His foresight and innovation were legendary. He always found a way. AND, he did it all without public investment.
At its height in the late 1960s, the route network of Redline Coaches, including express and tour services, was the largest in Australia, covering over 16,000 kilometres of un-duplicated express route alone.
During this time Rex Law's motel company built, owned and operated several motels including at Ayers Rock (now Yulara), in Alice Springs and on the Gold Coast.
After WWII ended Rex had worked hard to accumulate sufficient money to inaugurate a passenger bus service operation between Brisbane and Kyogle. He later sold this business to undertake a newly won Queensland government licence to operate day tours from Brisbane to Bernard O’Reilly’s Guest House in Lamington National Park.
Bernard O’Reilly came to fame when he voluntarily set out from his guest house with a rescue team and located the wreck of a downed Stinson airliner in February 1937 saving the lives of two survivors.
The road from Canungra was unsealed at the time and was often cut during summer rain periods due to bridge damage and localised flooding. In heavy rains it became a boggy quagmire. During these times Rex used an ex-military WWII amphibious 4x4 Jeep to get the passengers and the mail through!
Rex found he was a natural with tourism; he loved the environment and the history and imparting his knowledge to his passengers. In return, the passengers loved his engaging personality and couldn't help but get caught up in his enthusiasm about what a wonderful country we lived in.
In 1952 Rex purchased a Brisbane to Sydney two day tour business from the Millar family which he revived under his business name of Redline Coaches. He still ran a continuous interstate service expansion alongside the existing O’Reilly service.
Rex was not only a tourism entrepreneur but also an innovator. He was always looking for a more efficient and productive way to do things. He went on to construct the first uniquely Australian rear-engined coach in his Brisbane backyard depot during 1953. He installed a motor in the rear of his Ansair bodied International.
With the motor and transmission mounted the rear axle rolled over 180 degrees and customized drive-shaft was installed. Interestingly, Rex left the original front engine and transmission in place, so effectively the unit was a twin engined bus during the proving period. The experiment was successful and the bus was converted to full forward control soon after.
In 1957 Redline conducted the first coach safari tour to Central Australia from the east coast. That coach, Redline No 11, is still in existence. His outback tours as well as his express tours are credited with opening up the outback and stimulating small economies along the highhways.
Rex Law passed away in 1995 at the age of 80. He was a man of vision with admirable family values and a strong work ethic; a man whose word was his bond. He was always at the ready to take up a new opportunity and is credited with giving a helpful hand to many along the way.
Rex is remembered as a truly kind and compassionate gentleman of the road; a man who brought the wonders of the outback to every day Australians building national pride through his love of the Australian landscape both natural and manmade. Vale Rex Law.
comment...
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Industry wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:50 pm It appears to Lyndhurst in 1969
Yes, Brazell's garage gives it away for me. This was in northern South Australia, where the Strzalecki Track and the Oodnadatta Track came together, close to the old Ghan railway line.
I can't decide which Redline unit it was......although very few were fitted with that style of roo bar.
Thank you very much for posting Industry.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Transparency0028.JPG
Redline No 82 - Bob Warren - Copy (1000 x 664).jpg
Redline No 82 - Bob Warren - Copy (1000 x 664).jpg (102.43 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
Redline 82 Nullabor Express and in later life with Panther Express photo by Bruce Tilley
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I think that this coach is bodied by J A Lewis Bus Sales P/L
Industry

Post by Industry »

Transparency0025.JPG
Another fine Redline unit in its next life with Barnes - Panther Express
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Would the Panther coach have a Superior body? (name of manufacturer not a comment about the quality!!)
Industry

Post by Industry »

Superior with a modified front by Barnes, photo by Bruce Tilley
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Hello all.....
A quick note to advise that the E Book edition of my publication "Rex Law's Redline" is now available for immediate purchase and download from Amazon Australia.
https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=rex+law&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
It's published in all formats, including Kindle and E Pub, and is fully functional, at a price of AU$8.36.
Many thanks for your support of my project, and I hope you enjoy.
Glenn Law.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

I bought a hard copy and it has been delivered. Congratulations Glenn on this great book and now the story has been told.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

How or where can i buy a hard copy,Amazon won't ship to NEW ZEALAND
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

LB608 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:24 pm How or where can i buy a hard copy,Amazon won't ship to NEW ZEALAND
Likewise, can a hard copy be bought anywhere else other than via Amazon ? eg Bus Museum in Sydney or ARHS bookshop ?
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Because of issues like above, I'm now reviving earlier attempts to have the book concurrently printed locally, which will allow me to stock and retail copies Australia and NZ wide via my own website, www.glennalaw.com which has been undeveloped and sitting dormant until now. This will also allow me to wholesale into interested bookstores and other industry outlets.
I'll post more as soon as this is under way, which I'll do my very best to expedite.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

system improver wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:09 pm I bought a hard copy and it has been delivered. Congratulations Glenn on this great book and now the story has been told.
I greatly appreciate the support!
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

LB608 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:24 pm How or where can i buy a hard copy,Amazon won't ship to NEW ZEALAND
This will be fixed LB608.
Keep checking here for more news soon.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Centralian wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:41 pm
Likewise, can a hard copy be bought anywhere else other than via Amazon ? eg Bus Museum in Sydney or ARHS bookshop ?
I hope you can bear with me Centralian, and keep checking here for more news related to your comments....
I really appreciate the interest in the book.
Industry

Post by Industry »

I obtained a copy thru Amazon and it arrived in 48 hours great fast service.

Glenn have been reading Bill Hands Book It's not all Bulldust of Sundowner Tours and very interesting that his first 2 tours were operated by Redline.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 6518 times
Sundower.jpg
Sundower.jpg (61.18 KiB) Viewed 6518 times
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

So much was happening during those years Richard, and I had no first hand knowledge of Bill and Doreen's early involvement with Redline. I must get hold of a copy myself....many thanks for sharing that little bit of history.
Industry

Post by Industry »

I obtain a copy of your book from Amazon and interesting they printed it in Australia.

Bill chartered the first trip in 1962 in coach No2 with Brad Franklin and again 1963 with Bred Franklin but no mention of coach number but from photo it could be 23
Industry

Post by Industry »

Ex Redline 64 with door change at some time.
122480362_1752417361574892_6110824739092248393_o.jpg
122469186_1752417224908239_7949020534489876803_o.jpg
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

............and air vents!
Nice looking vehicle.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”