Rare and interesting car sightings

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Rare and interesting car sightings

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:08 pm Regularly heard/seen around the CBD, loud exhaust and high revs.
That new money is deafening.
Frances

Post by Frances »

On the road today I saw a late 1960s (I think) dark red Mercedes Benz 280SE (I know that's what it was because I was driving right behind it for a kilometre or so) at Baukham Hills and a 1970ish 2 door white Chrysler Valiant between Windsor and Richmond. The Valiant had been lowered and fitted with alloy wheels, but otherwise appeared to be unmolested.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Frances wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:37 pm a 1970ish 2 door white Chrysler Valiant between Windsor and Richmond. The Valiant had been lowered and fitted with alloy wheels, but otherwise appeared to be unmolested.
The square Dodge Dart shape or the charger shape?
Frances

Post by Frances »

I just Googled it to check (I was just guessing when it came to the year, based on the styling). It was a VG Valiant 2 door hardtop.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Thought so. Good to see they're not being chopped these days.
Frances

Post by Frances »

Saw a black Morris Oxford (the one that looks a bit like an FJ Holden) outside a mechanic's workshop at Northmead.
Frances

Post by Frances »

Frances wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:37 pm On the road today I saw a late 1960s (I think) dark red Mercedes Benz 280SE.
Saw another one, white this time, at Dural. Not sure what model it was, because I saw it from the front in traffic, but it was the same vintage.
Frances

Post by Frances »

Saw a bright red Jaguar XJS in traffic at Pennant Hills on the Pennant Hills Road today around midday.
Frances

Post by Frances »

Driving down to Baulkham Hills shops, I looked in the rear vision mirror and saw a nice shiny white open MGB behind me. One of the earlier ones with the chrome bumpers.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Came across the blue CL Valiant ute pictured yesterday and met the owner. He said it was originally white and the blue is a Ford colour he likes, so had it painted that way. I also note it has the VF and VG Valiant station wagon taillights fitted.
Frances

Post by Frances »

In the City today and, in the lane way between the Galeries Victoria and the Hilton there was a green Ferrari Dino. Looking as good as new if not better.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Frances wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:23 am I just Googled it to check (I was just guessing when it came to the year, based on the styling). It was a VG Valiant 2 door hardtop.
I found it's VF predecessor the other day in Ettalong Beach. I've seen this one before goIng by it's VK Valiant Regal wheel covers.
IMG_20231014_165443_copy_992x560.jpg
The VF are unique in being the only model that combined the 225 slant six with the Borg Warner automatic instead of the 904 TorqueFlite of the previous models.
scott

Post by scott »

Frances

Post by Frances »

A red Datsun (or is it Nissan?) 240Z at Baulkham Hills this morning and, this evening, at Croydon Park, an early 1960s Hillman Minx and a Wolseley 24/80 (the later one with the lower tail fins, not the high pointy ones like the Wolseley my grandfather had). Not sure about the colours, as it was getting dark, but I think the Hillman was light green and white and the Wolseley was either white or a very light grey.
Frances

Post by Frances »

I was sitting at a red light on the Windsor Road, at the intersection with Cook St at Baulkham Hills today and, when I looked across at the Mechanic's place across the road, I saw, parked along the back fence, a 1970s Ford, which Google tells me was a 1976–79 Ford Fairlane (ZH) 500 and, next to it, a very shiny late 1920s closed American car (no idea what it was though), rather surprisingly on full rego.
Swift

Post by Swift »

There's a metallic green ZH Fairlane I see around Woy Woy and Umina quite regularly. I've spotted it twice in recent weeks, the latest only within the last week. Excellent condition driven by a guy who looks old enough to have had it since new or near new.
I hate seeing young people in classics made well before they existed. I saw one such sight with a girl about 20 behind the wheel of a white 1970s Corolla coupe looking in showroom condition. I was irritated at the sight.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Frances wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:15 pm I was sitting at a red light on the Windsor Road, at the intersection with Cook St at Baulkham Hills today and, when I looked across at the Mechanic's place across the road, I saw, parked along the back fence, a 1970s Ford, which Google tells me was a 1976–79 Ford Fairlane (ZH) 500 and, next to it, a very shiny late 1920s closed American car (no idea what it was though), rather surprisingly on full rego.
I guess it is owned by a pensioner who pays no rego and the insurance for historic vehicles is through the roof.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:45 pmI hate seeing young people in classics made well before they existed. I saw one such sight with a girl about 20 behind the wheel of a white 1970s Corolla coupe looking in showroom condition. I was irritated at the sight.
To each their own, but if a young owner gives the vehicle the love and care it deserves, that's far better than it sitting, and deteriorating from neglect in some oldies' shed for years after they loose their license.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I should have included this caveat. If they at least have some appreciation for the history of the vehicle, it's age and some knowledge about the vehicle, I'll support them having them. There are plenty I suspect that buy them purely for the attention.
There was this guy in his teens recently who bought an HR Holden Premier who at least claimed at the time he wanted to keep it as is.
Frances

Post by Frances »

Saw a nice dark green Triumph Stag at Northmead this afternoon......
Frances

Post by Frances »

eddy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:56 amthe insurance for historic vehicles is through the roof.
Are you sure? Someone who drives a 60+ year old Morris told me that they're a lot cheaper to insure than a modern car, as insurers see them as less of a risk, because they're generally driven less, and with more care. Also, unless you're talking about something like a Rolls-Royce, Bugatti or Ferrari for example, they're often worth less than a near new car, and this is reflected in the cost of the insurance.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Frances wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:22 pm
eddy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:56 amthe insurance for historic vehicles is through the roof.
Are you sure? Someone who drives a 60+ year old Morris told me that they're a lot cheaper to insure than a modern car, as insurers see them as less of a risk, because they're generally driven less, and with more care. Also, unless you're talking about something like a Rolls-Royce, Bugatti or Ferrari for example, they're often worth less than a near new car, and this is reflected in the cost of the insurance.
No, I admit I am not sure only going what a guy told me who had a two door morris about the same age as your friend.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Swift

Post by Swift »

Probably free of any plastic parts. Ettalong Beach on Broken Bay Rd.
IMG_20231031_133225_copy_992x560.jpg
IMG_20231031_133240_copy_992x560.jpg
Frances

Post by Frances »

Swift wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:59 pm Probably free of any plastic parts.
Might be some Bakelite parts though......
Swift

Post by Swift »

The old fashioned plastic.

Return to “The Lunch Room”