The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by Merc1107 »

X_STA/TA/Southlink wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:47 pm Why do so many drivers run around with their lights on in broad daylight?
It's often company (or occasionally Government) policy for buses to have their headlights on during the day; any suggestion that buses have perfectly serviceable DRLs exactly for this purpose falls upon deaf ears, or is met with resistance along the lines of, "the headlight switch should never be touched under ordinary circumstances"

Personally don't believe running lights is going to be that big of a stressor for the vehicle's electrical system, particularly as LEDs become increasingly common. Air-conditioning, and other ancillary components that are increasingly electrically-driven (like the power steering), would constitute far greater electrical loads than even traditional halogen headlights.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

X_STA/TA/Southlink wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:47 pm OK. So here is my random question. Why do so many drivers run around with their lights on in broad daylight? I understand that the O-Bahn had trees with regards to dying to have their lights on while traversing the track but outside that the area all the CB80's and K230's that have daytime running lights so don't need headlights on.
It used to be particularly bad for the just the hills buses but seems to have crept across the network. I just don't get it. Particularly on really hot days where the vehicles electrical system is going to be under the most stress I would have thought that the less equipment running would have been better....
"See and be seen". Vehicles with lights on are more visible than those without.

Source(s):
https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driv ... headlights
https://www.idrivesafely.com/defensive- ... explained
https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/3- ... ng-lights/

You'll also note that trains always have a headlight on in the direction of travel, and now "ditch lights" which activate and flash after the 'whistle' has been used. Cyclists are also advised to have a front (and rear) flashing light at all times to increase their visibility on the road.

I guess drivers using headlights in buses fitted with DRLs are in the habit from driving older buses - or perhaps the DRLs are faulty. I've personally never seen any lights have a noticeable impact on the electrical system, as Merc1107 said, the aircon is usually the main impactor.

A much worse outcome are drivers (of a bus, car, truck, or whatever) who have the attitude of "I have DRLs so don't need my headlights". Even in the dead of night I've seen modern cars driving around with no headlights, and only DRLs - very dangerous indeed.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Personally, I turn my headlights on prior to performing my pre-departure check*, and typically won't touch the headlight switch until I switch the bus off next - be it back in depot, a long layover or at a Noise Sensitive Zone.

* In newer Scanias (Custom CB80 or Bustech) I'll use the check switch for my pre-departure check which self cancels when moving off track.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
X_STA/TA/Southlink
Favourite Vehicle: SG280 Artic

Post by X_STA/TA/Southlink »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:11 pm "See and be seen". Vehicles with lights on are more visible than those without.
I dunno, if a driver/rider/pedestrian doesn't see a great big whopping bus coming in broad daylight heading for them then I think they have issue regardless of whether the lights are on or off :?
A much worse outcome are drivers (of a bus, car, truck, or whatever) who have the attitude of "I have DRLs so don't need my headlights". Even in the dead of night I've seen modern cars driving around with no headlights, and only DRLs - very dangerous indeed.
Yeah, I think the biggest problem there is that some of the DRL's on cars are decently bright and with the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree independent of the headlights being on or off then they just have no idea.
Merc1107 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:10 pm It's often company (or occasionally Government) policy for buses to have their headlights on during the day; any suggestion that buses have perfectly serviceable DRLs exactly for this purpose falls upon deaf ears, or is met with resistance along the lines of, "the headlight switch should never be touched under ordinary circumstances"
See now that would annoy me.

Personally don't believe running lights is going to be that big of a stressor for the vehicle's electrical system, particularly as LEDs become increasingly common. Air-conditioning, and other ancillary components that are increasingly electrically-driven (like the power steering), would constitute far greater electrical loads than even traditional halogen headlights.
Yeah, that may have been a stretch on my behalf. I guess that i just don't see the point of having the lights burning on bright daylight days on metropolitan roads. I totally get doing it (although I think that it is unnecessary if you have DRL's) when travelling on country roads and/or when weather conditions are less than optimal.

All good - just my $0.02 worth :wink:
Remember in the old days when there used to Standby Shifts?
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

X_STA/TA/Southlink wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:16 pm I dunno, if a driver/rider/pedestrian doesn't see a great big whopping bus coming in broad daylight heading for them then I think they have issue regardless of whether the lights are on or off :?
Maybe, but there's plenty of people who are vulnerable and genuinely won't see what we do. It's the responsibility of road users with greater ability to make harm (vehicle drivers) to minimise the risk and take care of them.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

X_STA/TA/Southlink wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:16 pm
Lt. Commander Data wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:11 pm "See and be seen". Vehicles with lights on are more visible than those without.
I dunno, if a driver/rider/pedestrian doesn't see a great big whopping bus coming in broad daylight heading for them then I think they have issue regardless of whether the lights are on or off :?
By that logic, trains & trams which are even bigger than buses shouldn't need headlights on during daylight either.

They are switched on for safety (visibility reasons). Not compulsory on buses during good visibility of course, but many drivers will choose to leave them on for the extra safety/visibility they provide. O-Bahn drivers are more likely to leave them on to avoid having to repeatedly switch headlights on/off when using the Busway or the city tunnel.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

TT wrote: ↑
It would’ve been 1734 bus, a retired MAN midi, that is used to check overhead clearances for the two (normally, currently 1) double deckers. I think it’s now stored at Aldgate: used to be at Mile End.
Yes, have seen it around Aldgate/Stirling a few times
Just dragging up a post from about 3 years ago, does this Midi still exist and do clearance checks in the hills for the 2 double deckers? Taking most of the seats out so it’s no longer a bus should get it around the 25 year retirement rule. If it has been retired has anything replaced it to do the clearance checks?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

1734 has been preserved and has had the double decker testing bar removed. I would suspect that the two double deck buses in the hills would do all the clearance checks they require by themselves; I doubt there any plans to add new routes to their current repertoire.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
T3331
Favourite Vehicle: 3331

Post by T3331 »

Does anyone know how many more of the new Bustech artics will be made? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are currently 3 at TT and 1 at Southlink which is the 3380. Are there any more details on these buses and how they are going?
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

T3331 wrote:Does anyone know how many more of the new Bustech artics will be made? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are currently 3 at TT and 1 at Southlink which is the 3380. Are there any more details on these buses and how they are going?
TT has 5 (1190–1194). Busways has 2865 and SouthLink 3380. That’s a total of 7. I believe there is going to be 9, but that may have changed. I’d assume they’d go to TT as 1195 and 1196.
Columbo

Post by Columbo »

With a route change such as that coming up on Monday for 230 and 232 what kind of training (if that is the word) is provided for drivers on the modifications? Is it as simple as the sheet of paper with the directions of where to turn when or is there other more specific information provided in the lead up?

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”