Once upon a time..... Nth Epping Bus Service

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Once upon a time..... Nth Epping Bus Service

Post by Centralian »

Here's another operator from Sydney in the '70's that is no more. The proprietor was John Burke who also traded under the name of Commodore Coaches. The depot was located in Malton Rd, North Epping. Operated Route 87 - Eastwood to West Ryde Stn and Route 163 Epping Station to North Epping . See also my other post today on Nicholson's Bus Service that had some info about Nth Epping as well. GM I'm sure will appreciate the location of 2 of these shots.

Apologies for a couple of poor quality shots (decided to still post for their interest value).

4976.1.jpg
5460.1.jpg
448.1.jpg
357.1.jpg

That's all I have of Nth Epping Bus Service. As always, hope you enjoyed the little bit of nostalgia, and hopefully others may post some images or further information on this operator. Cheers !
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Bidgee
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7R and MAN SL202

Re: Once upon a time..... Nth Epping Bus Service

Post by Bidgee »

I love the Leyland Mastiff (Never been on one but looks good)!
GM

Post by GM »

Centralian, I certainly do recognise the location of two of the Photos.
The buses were parked opposite the home of their driver whom at one time operated a school bus service in Dorrigo.
Didn't Eric Wenban operate m/o 448 Bedford at one time?
The Mastiff went to Cumberland?
I have attached some photos from the Ken Magor Collection regarding Nichoals & Burke. GM
VIKing

Post by VIKing »

John Burke started as an operator in October 1966 when he purchased route 87 Eastwood - West Ryde from Griffiths. This was a one bus run and John drove the bus. In April 1972 he expanded with the purchase of route 163 Epping - North Epping from Carl Tattam. Over time a successful and respected charter and tour operation, Commodore Coaches was developed. Commodore Coaches operated long distance extended tours as well as day and local charters. John Burke sold the runs and all vehicle to Cumberland (Todds) effective 4/8/77. By that time there were 8 vehicles (3 Ford R226/CCMC buses, 1 Bedford YRQ/ CC coach, 1 Bedford YRQ / PMC coach, the Leyland Mastiff PMC coach a Leyand Tiger Cub rebody /CC semi coach and a Bedford SB5 / CVI). Cumberland immediately ceased the long distance tours and concentrated on day tours, several of the coaches were sold almost immediately. John Burke retired from the bus industry, he purchased and ran the Bellinger Valley Motel at Bellingen near Coffs Harbour. Digressing - many of the materials used to construct the motel were recovered from old buildings in Sydney and re-used EG the slate tile roof, the sandstock bricks and the most impressive bar in restuarant is solid cedar recovered from the original Parramatta Court House). John's health was failing by the early 1980s, so he sold the motel and returned to Sydney for major surgery. All was looking well but he unfortunately passed away suddenly in May 1982.
GM

Post by GM »

Centralian, I certainly do recognise the location of two of the Photos.
The buses were parked opposite the home of their driver whom at one time operated a school bus service in Dorrigo.
Didn't Eric Wenban operate m/o 448 Bedford at one time?
The Mastiff went to Cumberland?
I have attached some photos from the Ken Magor Collection regarding Nichoals & Burke. GM
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Wow ,the photos are great.I'm amazed that these buses once ran in Epping and Eastwood.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Nat

Post by Nat »

The plates 448 and 357 went to Metro West and then N&W and 357 to STA!

I think the Bedford 448 was acquired by M-W.
ross johnson

Post by ross johnson »

Back in the 1960's i worked at Pennant Hills and lived at Castle Hill. The Nicholson Bros buses were a regular sight, and at one stage were garaged [serviced ?] underneath and at the side of the SHELL service station in Old Northern Rd Castle hill, which was knocked down only recently to allow the Castle Hill Bypass to be constructed. Nicholson Bros buses had destos equipped with the sign SHOWGROUND which i think was displayed when they ran a shuttle from Castle Hill Shops to Castle Hill Showground for visitors to the Country Style Show [that featured the shire's farming produce etc on display].,
rOjO43
White Super Power

Post by White Super Power »

Bidgee wrote:I love the Leyland Mastiff (Never been on one but looks good)!
Unfortunately the Perkins 8V510 motors weren't all that crash hot. They were available as a UF or RE.
Mark Ando

Post by Mark Ando »

I can't download the original pics in this post. Can anyone help me out?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Unfortunately after nearly 13 years the attachments concerned are no longer available to us.I dont know whether Centralian still has copies.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”