The History of Kefford Rtes - Part 7(Point Cook-Werribee PS)

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

The History of Kefford Rtes - Part 7(Point Cook-Werribee PS)

Post by system improver »

The first move of the Kefford Corporation into passenger transport was with the purchase of the Point Cook - Werribee Passenger Service Pty Ltd (which also traded as Blue Riband) in January 1976 from Ted Holzgrefe. Mr. Holzgrefe (previously Ventura's manager in the late 60s) had purchased this company from Mrs. I Fraser in the early 70s. Mrs. Fraser was the wife of Mr. A J Fraser, the second chairperson of the Transport Regulation Board who had purchased the service in 1947 from its originators, Messrs. Tomasetti, Weber and Hall.

These photographs come from the John Masterton Collection.

The first picture is a CAC Bedford SB flat screen, new in 1955, and reg GKA 222. It was the habit for many years for PCWPS to register vehicles with the last three digits indicating the fleet number of the bus (in this case it was number 2). The livery is pale grey:

The company operated a service from Melbourne to Werribee and had a city depot. Here is a shot at that North Melbourne Depot, which also indicates the change from CAC to Freighter SB Bedfords:

A closer shot of one of those Freighter products, HUX 999 new in July 1963:

Here is an Albion Viking with Freighter body, new in January 1970 and reg KMK 020:

Next, another Freighter Albion, this time a Clydesdale, new in May 1971 and reg LVA 145 and also sporting the Holzgrefe new livery of white with blue:

Russell Mee provided a new bus to PCWPS in June 1972 to a rather unique design, some would say the best Mee design ever. It was on a Bedford VAM70 chassis and reg LEJ 001:

The first of 4 ex MTT Adelaide AEC Regal Mark IVs with (Freighter) Lawton bodies. This one, former MTT number 749 new in Feb 1957, was 'trimmed' by Russell Mee in June 1973 and he used a similar front as on the new VAM in the previous photo. It was reg LPD 009:

And finally, the second new bus purchased by Kefford after the acquisition was this PMCSA Leyland Leopard, new in April 1977 and reg IUQ 925:

The first two photographs are by John Masterton, the third is an official Freighter photo, the fourth is by Bruce Tilley and the remainder are by Geoff Mann with the exception of the Mee Bedford which comes from T&BT.
Last edited by system improver on Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
ALBION1881

Re: The History of Kefford - Part 7 (Point Cook-Werribee PS)

Post by ALBION1881 »

Impressive line up of pictures I like ex mtt regal and way the deso boxes were rebuilt in it.
Albion Victor
Favourite Vehicle: REO

Post by Albion Victor »

:) :) :) Thoroughly enjoying the story thus far!

Any more photos of Blue Riband Albions that you would post?
system improver

Albion Victor wrote::) :) :) Thoroughly enjoying the story thus far!

Any more photos of Blue Riband Albions that you would post?
It seems you might be the only one. I was rather hoping that the posts that I was making might " prompt" a few additions from people's archives. But, it seems, some people simply don't want to share. I would like to see additions to all of my posts on Kefford (Parts 1 to 7) to bring us up to date, since these companies pass out of Kefford Corp ownership to CDC next Monday.

But I am glad that one ATDB member, at least, has enjoyed them.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

Hey system improver I enjoy anything do with buses if I had few pictures of keffords buses myself I certainly post them.
system improver

As requested, here's another Albion plus a couple of more recent photos of heritage vehicles.

First, this Freighter Albion Viking VK41L was new to C Lucas, trading as West Newport Bus Service, in October 1964. It was sold with the service to Sita on 28/3/80 and Sita then sold the vehicle to PCWPS in June 1980. I have a feeling that it met a rather sticky end in an episode of The Late Show:

Whilst this vehicle carries the rego HJJ 666, it is not the original vehicle to do so (a Comair SB3 new to PCWPS in April 1961, the fourth 'sharkmouth' made). I believe it was new to Peach of Hamilton, also a Comair SB3 reg HRB 099 on 25/10/62, and acquired by PCWPS in 1981 via a caravan dealer.

And this Eagle was the pride of the Kefford heritage fleet until recently. Alas, it was sold for conversion to...I can hardly say it ...a mobile home. Perhaps someone can remind me of its history:
busbuddy

Post by busbuddy »

wow,

that brings back lots of memories, well im only 29, but seeing 25 and 34 and some of the later ones shows that the years have passed :lol: though I do remember as a young boy sitting down at the yard with on site live manager Rick Murphy, and being able to play in all the buses on a sunday. life was easy then. these days you cant get in to most of these places without getting past some sort of security, maybe thats a good thing i suppose as u dont want just any loony bin walking the yards. Anymore of the buses numbered 40 onwards, post some pic's.they were good old volvos but dont know were they ended up.!!
timetable gunzel

Post by timetable gunzel »

The Silver Eagle was ex Coachtrans 242, ex Greyhound Pioneer 1052 ex Stateliner 1052.
beddy
Favourite Vehicle: Thomas Tours No.7 (Mine)

Post by beddy »

I have also enjoyed this series alot system improver. I just don't get why people wont share photos. If i had any, i would have certainly posted them. quote]quote="system improver"][/quote][/quote]I have a feeling that it met a rather sticky end in an episode of The Late Show.

Do you have any details on this incident. Would be interesting to see what happened to it.
Never Fear, Bedford's Are Here!
Carlisle 8
Favourite Vehicle: A.E.C. Regal III.

Post by Carlisle 8 »

I'd also like to thank you for this series, system improver. I am greatly enjoying it.

I was interested in your use of "sharkmouth". Over here, we call them "maneaters".
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

I have a feeling that it met a rather sticky end in an episode of The Late Show.
You can see it on the 'Best Bits of The Late Show' DVD available form any ABC shop and other places like Kmart. They seem to be going cheap now, although the relevant skit is only about 4-5 mins long.

Or you can view it on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is6t57Wt3d4

What was the other bus?
Brendan03
Favourite Vehicle: Not an S set.

Post by Brendan03 »

Ahh Wow, Very cool.

Much appreciation from me for those pictures, Especially the "Hoppers Crossing 436" One, Seeing as that's my local route.

I must say I do love how the Westrans logo kept the same style as the Blue Ribband scheme.

Anyway, Thanks again for posting this.

Brendan
I just wish we could all get along like we used to in Middle School, I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.
beddy
Favourite Vehicle: Thomas Tours No.7 (Mine)

Post by beddy »

All i can say is What a waste of a good bus!!.
Never Fear, Bedford's Are Here!
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Agreed, it was by no means their funniest skit... :wink:
system improver

krustyklo wrote:...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is6t57Wt3d4

What was the other bus?
Actually, looking at the video, the one in my photo, ex number 34, was not involved. Rather, it was its twin, number 35, also ex Sita, ex West Newport, JCL304, a Freighter Albion VK41L from 10/64 and the other bus was number 36, a later Freighter Albion VK41L new to West Newport as JMC526 in 4/66.

I dare say that all three ended up as tin cans via Sims Metal!
system improver

Tiny 1

Post by Tiny 1 »

I love this site. I worked for Doug Kefford at Blue Riband for 4yrs in the early 80s. Just a bit of history, the current sign written stripe feature on the Westrans busses (and Blue Riband) was developed by Lindsay Newton ( Service Manager Blue Riband) in about 1982-83. From memory, one of the first busses painted was a Domino Coach (number 39). Kefford purchased 3 x B56FA Volvo coaches from Murray's. They were painted Grey with the now signature 3 blue stripes.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”