What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Swift »

Two faced people :) :arrow: :evil: .
Send them to a prison camp -NOW!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

People vaping indoors. Yes, I recently had to put up with someone stinking out a KFC with that crap, couldn't get out of there quick enough (it took forever to get my meal due to the dozen or so DoorDash/Deliveroo/Menulog etc. orders before it). Why am I not surprised in the slightest that it is perfectly legal in backwater Australia for someone to vape indoors (unless it's a school), just because the product being used isn't an actual cigarette. FWIW the one vaping was a 13-year-old.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Seen them to a prison facility too.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Apparently it actually is illegal in Victoria to vape in enclosed areas such as restaurants, whodathunkit. Not that I'd expect anyone with a skateboard to follow laws.

Yesterday I caught a 907 bus after passing a bunch of Cornholio-mode glue sniffers (one male, three female, late teens/early 20s who should have known better) who got off the same bus at Mitcham (the 907's terminus). The bus smelled like super glue all the way to Doncaster Park & Ride (~10 kilometre trip). Unfortunately there are no openable windows on Gemilang buses, unlike Volgren or Custom, or even E class trams (Flexity Swift) for that matter.

Shortly after pulling out, an entitled effwit in a silver "I bought a Jeep"-shaped Jeep pulled out of a driveway and decided at the last second that cutting off a bus ten times their car's weight probably wasn't the smartest thing to do so they sat there in the middle of the side street opposite Mitcham station waiting for the bus to pass.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I'm disapointed by the runnings of Newcastle Transport as of late;

Commuters left waiting for the next tram service, both TransportNSW Application & the indicator board both indicated the next scheduled tram was still running. The time comes for when that tram should've arrived, "Due now" says the indicator board. No such tram in sight. Looking at indicator board 2 minuets after the scheduled train was due to arrive, next one arrives in 9 minutes. Take a peak at Anytrip, the service was cancelled!

So why couldn't they advise commuters well in advance that scheduled tram was not running so alternative arrangements can be made? There was no announcements, the indicator board showed up until it was due to arrive it was still running and so did the TransportNSW application. It was a 3rd party application that has done a much better job and advised that the service was cancelled, wish I'd looked at it sooner because I would've walked to the train station so I could've made the replacement bus.

& Yet, they advise commuters to check the TransportNSW application for cancellations or disruptions, I've said it before but that doesn't apply to anyone outside of Sydney, numerous services do get cancelled here or changed and there's no alerts for them. Nothing.

It irks me too when a train pulls into the Interchange and before commuters can even get out past the opal barrier, the tram at the Interchange departs leaving commuters to wait 7-10 for the next service. No thanks I'll just get the bus at that point.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:09 pmIt irks me too when a train pulls into the Interchange and before commuters can even get out past the opal barrier, the tram at the Interchange departs leaving commuters to wait 7-10 for the next service. No thanks I'll just get the bus at that point.
Same thing here in Melbourne at the farce known as Knox Transit Link. The Victorian Government, being a useless sack of manure when it comes to public transport provision, was supposed to extend the Vermont South tram line aka route 75 a few k's down the road to Westfield Knox in 2005. Instead, the government implemented a semi-permanent tram replacement bus service, for seventeen years and counting, which not only doesn't wait for trams to actually stop at the terminus before it pulls out, but doesn't even meet every tram. If the tram's 30 seconds late, you can bet the "connecting" bus 200 metres away from the tram terminus will pull out on the next green light while 30 people are running towards it. At worst case (early mornings), that means a half an hour wait for the next. The last couple of trams don't even have a connection, so if you're there after 11PM or midnight, or whenever the last bus has finished around those hours (the last tram is 1AM), you're SOL. At least there's a 24 hour Maccas out the front.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Heihachi_73 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:03 pm If the tram's 30 seconds late, you can bet the "connecting" bus 200 metres away from the tram terminus will pull out on the next green light while 30 people are running towards it. At worst case (early mornings), that means a half an hour wait for the next. The last couple of trams don't even have a connection, so if you're there after 11PM or midnight, or whenever the last bus has finished around those hours (the last tram is 1AM), you're SOL. At least there's a 24 hour Maccas out the front.
And some say buses are a perfectly adequate alternative to trams when they run them like this. You don't see semi permanent trams as it wouldn't be worthwhile, but the flexible nature of buses make it all to easy to have a wishy washy service.
What is it with modern transport agencies and their very inflexible departure times where you have a situation like the above?
Before we had Transport For NSW running the show, our local bus company would wait for a late running train but now they have to depart right on the dot five or so minutes after the train is due, even with no passengers, due to TNSW policies that penalise the now contracted bus company if they don't leave dead on time, even though it's carrying fresh air. How is that progression?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Evidently in this situation, you not only need a connection, but checks and balances in place to ensure the drivers will wait out the connection.

Perth uses displays at interchanges to indicate the arrival of trains ex City, and how long ago/until that service arrived/arrives. The connections are scheduled 2-9mins apart depending on the type of connection, and whether we're talking hard-linked bus trips. During peak CSOs are at most major interchanges to keep a tab on buses connecting, hold buses or communicate issues. Finally, the drivers handbook stipulates drivers should wait a "reasonable" period, depending on the bus and train schedule. If buses come every 10mins, then waiting 9mins for a late train is foolish and hurts passengers down the line. If the next bus is an hour away (or not till tomorrow!) then 15mins isn't the end of the world, and while I can't say for sure, would not be used against the operator.

Passengers in Perth complain vocally when connections are missed, and often send in commendations when their buses wait for particularly late trains. Among regular users, the expectation is things tie together neatly. In some places you've competing interests, like two train lines to meet, coordination with other routes etc. But that is the exception, not the rule. It's disappointing to hear cities bigger than old Dullsville, whose residents often have this perverse pleasure in boasting just how "with it" their cities are, cannot get even the most rudimentary public transport initiatives right.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Add Bhuja to the shrinkflation list. Original Mix is now a lowly 150g (they were 180g until last week) which automatically puts it in my ignore list alongside the 150g "limited edition" Smith's/Thins flavours and Pringles. Woolies normally has a big bag (350g, 9316401202198) for $5, wonder if that too has shrunk or magically vanished yet (I was in Coles when I noticed Bhuja being 150g and noticeably narrower, no wonder they were $2.50 on special).

I swear if potato chips all end up dropping to 150g I'll just give up on them entirely (maybe that's what the companies are trying for). At least Aldi hasn't done the dirty yet (230g for regular chips, 200g for Kettle knockoffs aka Blackstone). Name brands are already hovering between 165g-175g (even Doritos are 170g). Early last decade and for the two or three decades prior the name brand large chip packets were 250g (100g for medium, now 90g; 50g for small, now 45g - note that the large packs have been dropped significantly compared to the smaller ones which are only a 10% drop in size; the large packets would be 225g if they were at the same shrinkflation rate).

Speaking of chips (or crisps), what happened to Tyrrell's? I used to always get the honey soy ones, now they've gone crinkle cut and ditched every single flavour except for three boring generic flavours that every other company has. They can't be directly competing with Smith's Crinkle Cut or Samboy as they're too bloody expensive so there must be some other excuse to why their entire product line has been dropped and resurrected for the worse. I highly doubt it was COVID. The entire point of Tyrrell's is that they make "crisps", which are supposedly meant to be flat like Thins/Kettle etc. There's no honey soy or any of the other special flavours, just plain salted, sweet chilli and I think cheese & onion or something like that (don't quote me on those, I don't buy any chip flavours besides BBQ, honey soy or hot chilli e.g. Kettle/Aldi chilli, not to be confused with sweet chilli).

Looks like I'm not the only one who noticed either...
https://www.productreview.com.au/listin ... ll-s-chips
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

This morning has just been a crap show (I'd like to user a better word to describe today but it goes above the PG rating).

It is kinda my fault for not checking what was going on before hand but I rocked up to my local station this morning to get my usual train into Newcastle so I can get to work. This morning the genius Brainiacs at TNSW decided to throw out all train services & employees (add to that the propaganda of blaming the transport union as the cancellation of services as a "strike" when that wasn't the case according to sources). There was no replacement buses running, station master and a big sign at the front said something something "industrial strike, no trains or replacement buses are running", just excellent that that has just cut off a bunch of people including students to be able to travel to school & work (or wherever they need to go by relying on train).

Not all people were fortunate enough to get to head to Newcastle this morning, those reliant on the train without another way to get there were told they'd have to seek alternative arrangements. (This was despite the opal travel application again proclaiming replacement buses were running when that was not the case)

Fortunately for me, I have a car but It is more cost effective & simpler for me to get the train into Newcastle instead of driving however prior to arriving at the station, I'd heard on the radio there was a truck accident on the main way that takes you to Newcastle. In the end I had no choice but to drive into Newcastle and yes I got stuck in the heavy traffic and sat in heavy traffic for 45 minutes.

Now because I don't usually drive to Newcastle for work I'd had to seek parking arrangements. On the upside this worked in my favor. I pulled up to this parking lot ran by of course a private company, the boomgate was open but being the honest person I am I still make an attempt to pay. Try to make a contactless payment with the machine by tapping my card only for the machine to say "Contactless payment not accepted" (okay so why offer it then?)

So I swipe my card but the machine for whatever reason isn't responding and I don't know if it has charged me, eventually another motorist pulls behind me and says just to drive in and it'll be fine so I did. On the upside I parked within Newcastle for free all day basically.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I hardly ever visit hardware stores as I don't have reason too, today however was the exception.

Had to pick up some supplies for work so stopped by Bunnings and the place was a bit of a maze for myself but after speaking to two different staff members I found what was needed and paid for it at one of their various registers throughout the store. As I make my way to the exit there is the all too common greeter, both of my hands were literally full (I honestly don't expect to have both hands occupied for what I needed) but as I'm approaching the exit I have the receipt ready in hand to show to the greeter my proof of purchase and I do hold it a couple of times clearly visibly on the front of the receipt, the person the greeter was speaking to looks at me then looks back at the greeter without saying a word or gesturing any action to myself and continues on with their conversation, it's only when I walk a couple of centimeters past the greeter I am met with an firm "EXCUSE ME" and I stop and then the greeter scans some sort of barcode on my receipt and nothing further is said and I continue on my way.

I really should've said to the greeter that I was making attempts to literally show you my receipt (proof of purchase) however you clearly took no interest as your conversation with another employee was more important. on the other hand I know & understand retail employees have enough of a crap job as it is, I don't need or want to add to that.

Main store staff were lovely, greeter I know you job is crap too but please readjust your attitude.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I cop attitude from staff, mainly young attactive girls who are mostly useless anyway so I never bother asking them unless there's no one else. There's this one though who is very knowledgeable in the paint section and very nice.
One middle aged chap is not so nice who makes you feel like your taking precious time out of his day.
Overall, I've had the best experience from the older girls, one of whom even said just to take these loose washers and screws that had fallen out of packets onto shelves and try those when I was looking for certain sizes.
scott

Post by scott »

My local Fish and Chip shop I go to who have the biggest bits of grilled flake, has shut up shop. Now I have to find another shop that has grilled flake that is actually generous in size.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Stan Grant's hiss fit on Q&A because a guy dared to suggest the Ukraine conflict is anything other than Russian bad guys and Ukraine angels.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Trying to book my COVID-19 booster shot and as you guessed, it is still a crap show.

You go through https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.gov.au/booking/ to look for a clinic, pharmacy etc for a place doing the vaccines / boosters and the majority of them around here still either rely on using Hotdoc which then when you click on that tells you their no longer doing online appointments, others only have weekday slots open during business hours and nothing for the weekend (I don't work on weekends and honestly weekend works better if I was to get it done there and then). The weekdays don't line up because I work M-F during said business hours and by the time I've wrapped up work the places are as good as shut for the day. As a casual I can't take time off, it's near impossible (in my line of work).

I wouldn't be complaining if I could get at least a measly weekend time slot but all of the places I come across virtually go along the lines of "No open appointments for this day".

Edit: Just called one of the pharmacy giants close to me, response "No we don't do weekend bookings at all" and yet their open all day for the weekend, no idea why weekends make it suddenly so they don't offer vaccinations.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Have you considered using your state’s health website, rather than the federal one? I’ve managed to wind walk in vaccination clinics (open 7 days at that) in 4 states in about 2 minutes by following the bouncing ball, so to speak.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:52 am Trying to book my COVID-19 booster shot and as you guessed, it is still a crap show.

You go through https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.gov.au/booking/ to look for a clinic, pharmacy etc for a place doing the vaccines / boosters and the majority of them around here still either rely on using Hotdoc which then when you click on that tells you their no longer doing online appointments, others only have weekday slots open during business hours and nothing for the weekend (I don't work on weekends and honestly weekend works better if I was to get it done there and then). The weekdays don't line up because I work M-F during said business hours and by the time I've wrapped up work the places are as good as shut for the day. As a casual I can't take time off, it's near impossible (in my line of work).

I wouldn't be complaining if I could get at least a measly weekend time slot but all of the places I come across virtually go along the lines of "No open appointments for this day".

Edit: Just called one of the pharmacy giants close to me, response "No we don't do weekend bookings at all" and yet their open all day for the weekend, no idea why weekends make it suddenly so they don't offer vaccinations.
A lot of the information regarding booking covid jabs is very confusing. I tried to book mine via the D.O.H. Vic (I'm under 18 here and people are able to get a booster from 16 onwards they announced), waited a week, still no changes so I had to call them, I told them about the site (as not everyone feels comfortable talking to a stranger on the phone) and apparently, they're aware of the situation. The changes to how the vaccines are booked to allow teenagers 16+ to book should not have taken no more than a day and it took a week (I'm not sure if that problem still exists), I eventually managed to get my booster and it was only because the local clinic can just accept walk-ins with no booking required.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

It's a pain isn't it? They put so much emphasis on wanting people to do this but don't make it easy to access.

Thankfully I've since found a clinic local to myself that is doing booster shots of a weekend but by appointment only. The others places since I made my post simply flat out said they don't do weekends at all which is why I typed up my post in the first place. Just in what kind of logic can't they simply administer booster shots simply because it is Saturday but could still offer every other service under the sun?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

They probably only have one person who is trained in vaccinations and that person is not rostered on weekends.
Living in the Shire.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

The so called "Roadworks" that created an unnecessary traffic jam coming home yesterday.

So I'm heading home from working at this country town for the day, this means a long drive on a highway that will eventually turn from a two lane road to one lane road after the Power Plant on ramp onto the highway, it was 2:30 PM or so and traffic was backed up for a good 10 Kilometers before the power plant off ramp (from the direction I was going). I was thinking it was another accident or heavy overwidth escort truck (you get those a lot out there). Only to find out that the slow traffic is because there was roadworks zone ahead and they were slowing motorists down to 40 or 60km (from 100). There was even a sole traffic controller sitting on the highway guard rail right next to the first road works signs with their lollypop sign resting across them.

I drove the next 600 - 800m before realising there isn't any roadworks happening (as I hadn't seen anymore signs or workers after passing the first person) before deciding to speed up. Yes I might've broken the law there by technically going back to full speed in a roadworks zone but I mean I never passed an end roadworks sign or any hint of roadworks still occurring and I'll be darned If I cause more of a gridlock because of the incompetence of the roadwork crew to properly advise the roadworks were done for the day and it was safe to go back full speed. I'd like to know why there was a sole lollypop person just sitting on their backside and not having removed the first lot of signs if work was done for the day?

This happens often especially with them never putting down the end roadworks signs so you go the reduced speed forever still keeping an eye out for when it is legal to return to the full legal speed limit. Now If I got pulled over by the police I would happily show them my dashcam footage and ask why It is acceptable for the road workers to be getting motorists to slow down if NO ROAD WORKS are taking place, if road works are in place then I am fine & don't have a problem and will obey but when there is no further evidence or warnings what are you suppose to do?
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

I know this may not be the place for politics (and please don't judge me) but today's what gives me the s#!t's is what Scott Morrison said last night in his debate with Albanese about children with disabilities (particularly autistics) when he was responding to a mother of an Autistic child. Stating he is "glad his children don't have to go through that." Honestly, I think it's the most dumbest and insensitive thing a public figure like him would say. I find it quite offensive as an actual autistic person.

Another thing that annoys me in general is constantly conflicting information. Doesn't anyone hate it when someone says one thing and then contradict what they said. It makes things less clear and all a person generally needs is clarity.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Swift

Post by Swift »

The Stays holiday homes ad directly lifted from the U.S VRBO commercial although re-edited. Plainly made as a pro leftist ad.
https://youtu.be/Oqt6ggQ1BsY

So annoyed the Australian government capitulated to heavy lobbying by the U.S. embassy to allow imported ads from the U.S. to be used here without any localv production.
scott

Post by scott »

Was having my morning coffee at McDonalds yesterday and there was someone who was very aggressive and horrible to the girl making the coffee, as his coffee was too frothy, then he complained it was too cold and threw another tantrum, mine was the next one she made and it was fine. He threatened to talk to the manager and have her sacked, she said she made a few in that period and no one else complained.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

The trouble with coffee, is everyone's taste is quite unique. A coffee you find pleasant may be undrinkable to the next person, and vice-versa. Catering for such variable tastes, and the (rude, fussy) people who have them on an ongoing basis must be close to torturous.

I drink coffee black. If I'm not being lazy and drinking instant, make it in a French Press or on the stove. Unfortunately, with the proliferation of Espresso machines, asking for this at a cafe is practically suicidal - you get a cup of molten hot, extremely bitter swill that is nigh unto undrinkable. So I go with tea or just drink a cappuccino with the rest of them :roll:
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Went into Costco (Ringwood) today to stock up on my usual Coke cans. Walked out in two minutes after being told by a staff member that they no longer stock 36 packs; in their place were 30 packs going for $21.50. Coles was $1 cheaper at $20.50, which is their on-off everyday 40% off "special" they share with Woolworths (Aldi is $20.99 every day of the year).

Return to “The Lunch Room”