What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Heihachi_73

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Eating chocolate on a 20-something degree day where the chocolate is soft and melts the instant it touches my tongue, only to get a sudden weird crunch part way through, and finding out the crunchy bit was a 3mm chunk of molar that used to be near my upper gum (the chocolate was Caramilk Marble, which is basically chocolate coated Nutella, not a Picnic or anything like that).

Of course, I'm going to be stuck with that broken tooth forever as I can't afford four figures on DSP because of course dental is not on Medicare, why would dental of all things be on the public health system when Average Upper Middle Joe with his own detached $1.2m house can simply cough up $3k in $100 notes to get his teeth fixed in an instant instead? Or travel overseas, stay in a luxury hotel and get teeth done for a fraction of the price of Australia, which doesn't even come with a luxury hotel or a flight.

Last year between the first two COVID-19 lockdowns I was quoted $1600 to get a disintegrating wisdom tooth looked at, "but there is a cheaper place on Warrandyte Rd near Eastland" I was told. Went to the only dental place I could find in Ringwood and it wasn't even open, closed until further notice, and the 5km restriction was in place so I wasn't going anywhere. Now it's two teeth and probably counting - wonder if I will have any left by the time I turn 50 (I'm 38 next week). I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't drink alcohol but do drink Coca-Cola. Given that some people have drunk Coke for 80 years and still have their teeth, I don't think that was the cause.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I've never realised how many websites are unusable without an Adblocker of some sort, I never used to mind the occasional banner ad at the top of the page or small ad on the side of the webpage but goodness having had to disable my Adblocker on some sites (or forgo because I'm on mobile and my device doesn't support adblockers) has just shown how far website operators are really pushing it.

Sure it helps keep the lights on and pay for the domain and hosting costs (definitely not all but some or most of it) but it ruins the user experience. I don't want 500 AD's slowing down my web experience or making it a walk of pins & needles as I navigate my way around the site. I tried using the Gumtree Mobile application on Saturday just browsing and I couldn't swipe down the page for more than 10 seconds without the same crap autoplaying video ad popping right back up in my face (I'm on IOS) and don't get me started on Gumtrees desktop website either. That That is the reason why I use an Adblocker.

On the topic of Ads, No Youtube I don't want to be "forced" to watch two (especially the same ones time after time) unskippeable pre-roll advertisements before then getting to watch the video I clicked on.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I don't know whether to laugh at the stupidity or be mad tho hear me out; this morning I had to make a phone call to my boss which required me to step outside so I wouldn't be disturbing anyone, as I step out at the front and after I've made my call but awaiting to hear back from someone else, I realise there is an Audi SUV stopped in the left hand lane of the road (Bus Zone / No parking) Eventually a Bus wants to pull into the stop but is blocked by the Audi SUV so it can't pull into the stop, the bus driver gives a friendly toot a first but the Audi driver doesn't respond, the bus driver then gives a bit of a bigger toot, no response still from the Audi, so then the bus driver just lays on the horn and that is when I about walk over to tell the driver of the Audi to tell them to move it & when I get a look at what exactly driver of said vehicle was doing, of course their on their mobile chatting away. Just how thick do you have to be to not only be in a bus zone, ignoring a buses horn advising you to move it but also being on your phone too while in control of a motor vehicle?

The Driver still drove away on their phone too. I did tho get a Thumbs up of appreciation from the bus driver after I got the Audi driver to move on.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Reading stuff bus passengers say about their bus service. One central coast passenger says he has more respect for dole bludgers than bus drivers (didn't like the bus not stopping after trying to intercept it at the next stop -after he was late in the first place).
Another feels offended drivers adhere to these "stupid rules". Looking after your customers takes priority over covering themselves from possible legal liability according to this clown.
Another didn't like that the drivers don't say hello anymore :roll: .
Who wants to be a bus driver dealing with these loonies all day??
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Swift wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:50 am Who wants to be a bus driver dealing with these loonies all day??
Perfect timing for you Swift, have I got one for you

So this morning I'm on my rail replacement bus, was heading to one station hoping to get photos of standby buses (spoiler: I rocked up and there was nothing, not one measly standby bus :( )

Anyway this "lady" passenger wants to hop off at the tourist centre but being a replacement bus, it doesn't & can't stop there as that is not a designated replacement stop. Oh this really ticked off the passenger as she started calling & insulting the driver every thing under the sun & yelling at the top of her lungs when she couldn't get off where she wanted, started calling the driver the SLU word on the way out (I'm sure you can guess what it is) and saying she'll be reported, the driver of the bus was female and I felt sorry for her for having to cop that abuse. Anyway the lady got off at the designated replacement stop after the tourist centre and then we continued onto the 2nd last replacement stop, after everyone had gotten off I checked on the driver to see if she was alright and wasn't shaken up or anything, said something like "she was fine and appreciated someone like me making sure she was alright". I let the rail replacement Marshall know what had happened and Marshall said that if it reached breaking point she has a duress button onboard the driver can use.

The lady was the type of person your probably thinking of too, nasty vibes all around.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Bad things happen when good people do nothing. That's the bus driver's lot most of the time. You no doubt saved her a lot of stress by showing support.

Sounds like that ladette was projecting.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Happens on rail buses in Perth too. The kicker is, if the bus stops, and security are following, it can get reported. So the driver is completely justified and supported in running the service as advertised.

Would the train stop at front of your house just because you ask? Of course not. So why should the Train Replacement Bus be expected to?
Swift

Post by Swift »

The problem is there are too many selfish p####s who expect you to bend/break the rules for their convenience because they don't see the repercussions and think it's harmless and only see it as you doing it to be mean to them and can't look past their own whims.
Another problem is a lack of support for the driver during the incident and afterwards as well. It's the driver who had to endure the screaming and threats on the spot by these anti socials they inevitably run across.
Managers have a lot to answer for in their attitude to incidents, with a culture to defaulting to the customer's side.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I've been on one too many buses over the past years where pax want to alight in the middle of the road (or at traffic lights) and then Whinge and whine at the driver when the driver refuses to let them off because it comes down to safety issues and not wanting to put anyone at risk and can become a huge liability issue for the driver if they were to be silly and do it anyway. Not a common occurrence but once in a full moon it'll happen on a bus I'm on. Most are cool about it when the driver says no, and the 1% are the type of people as seen in my above post (full screaming and insults).

As for Security, again I've been riding many replacement buses during daylight hours for a very long time now and I've never seen any form of Security even at the manned replacement stops (ones with Marshalls). Generally it isn't needed because everyone is well behaved but again issues do arise.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Those sickening excruciating virtue signaling woke Belong ads with that song obviously alluding to a certain community. So you want to sell a product or attempt to manipulate our personal beliefs?
I'm compiling a dossier if companies doing this insidious behavior with the intent to record information on them and to boycott their products.
Swift

Post by Swift »

The Bolt Report talking about woke advertisers and how they're failing to sell products.

https://youtu.be/iDNMUDKxf9s
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

When it comes to media production and editing, why are certain things so hard to find or obtain? For Instance I'm looking for some "lower thirds". Lower thirds are what you see at the bottom of the screen on the News for example with a description of the story they are covering. I'm not looking for anything fancy but graphic design is not my best skill and even through I'm willing to drop a small amount of money, I just can't find what works with me.

I did find this nice one on one of those stock media sites, it did list the file formats before hand but only something like JPEG and .EPS (Vector). It costed me $9 USD which translates to $14 AUD. I was given a .eps file and the .jpeg file. With the limited vector editors I could find, it was useless and wouldn't work with the .eps file format so $14 down the drain. Just kinda would be nice if those designing these would go for a more common format say PSD (Photoshop Document).

The fair few others that allow proper easy customisation out of the box only work with certain software. For example Adobe Premier (I use Davinci Resolve & in the past I had previously used Song Vegas Professional). Again the stuff that is available for Resolve is only a small handful and is just hard to come across online. Premier being what a majority of content creators out there use hence why there is more content available for it.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Why would you only be offered a lossy non-alpha-transparency-supporting JPEG file and an EPS, has the site been laying dormant since 1996? PNG and SVG have been the standard 2D formats for at least twenty years; PSD even longer.

VirtualDub used to be my go-to for quick video editing but I haven't needed it ever since my YouTube account was blocked due to me refusing to become one with Google+. That said, it's a fairly bare-bones program and I only used it to clean up raw videos e.g. to cut unwanted frames (for example, recording a train and then jumping involuntarily when an X'Trapolis horn went off on the other platform with me subsequently whispering the F word into the camera) and to convert the format to something that compresses just a little bit better than the camera's Motion JPEG/uncompressed PCM combo (a cheap 2009 Canon point-and-shoot that maxed out at 640x480 30 fps, no expensive HD/4K video equipment here, or even a smartphone for that matter). I don't think VirtualDub has any way of adding fade-in/out banners or scrolling text etc. but I could be wrong, it's been years since I have used it.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Envato.com was the stock website I used, I initially signed up there as they seem to be one of the few top sites that don't make you sign up to some subscription plan when all you want is one or two items. I've looked at other sites that do have much better resources overall but those fall under the "subscription only" umbrella and as such don't get my money, not until I really go hard on the video content creation side of things as I can't justify it.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

It is that time of year again where things get really chock-a-block, took me 30 minutes to get a parking spot at the Shopping Centre yesterday, I couldn't even get on street parking near the shops as all the parking spaces were of course filled up with cars, It sent me a little mad after doing 3 laps of the complex looking for a park, I was almost ready to throw the towel in and just go back home. I believe they really need to start investing in parking time limits maybe just for the Christmas period because if it took me 30 minutes to grab a park, that should be a major concern right there. Also those Parking spot lights that tell you if the space is free or not are complete junk, nothing more than a pretty decoration piece.

Top it off, Went to JB-HI-FI to look at Laptops for a trip I'm hopefully taking towards Christmas, had my heart set on a nice laptop with a Ryzen 3 processor that I felt was snappy and for me (wouldn't be using it for much besides web browsing and managing photos at the end of the day, maybe a few low end games just to keep myself entertained at night). I couldn't track down a Assistant in the laptop area and then after 10 minutes one appeared & went and asked one of the other customers near me if they wanted help but not myself, just ended up walking out after another 5 minutes. I've been searching for Laptops that aren't a hunk of old junk for the past two weeks and everything that comes up online contains those "low powered" Intel U Series CPU's. Sorta staying away from those but might be all I can get in the end. I'd say this is because of the on-going chip shortage. I can't even get a laptop at Retail that doesn't contain a U series CPU unless I'm willing to pony $1000+ for one.

And of course checking in & out of shops was made difficult, I don't know what is going on but the past two weekends I've visited the Centre the mobile network feels "congested" in most parts of the Centre, I'm not with Telstra but my provider uses their network. I couldn't get the NSW Check in Application to work a couple of times because the mobile data was just too slow and was causing the application to load incorrectly (missing elements like the check-out button for example).

Oh well, It is Sunday, hopefully today will be better than yesterday.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 am And of course checking in & out of shops was made difficult, I don't know what is going on but the past two weekends I've visited the Centre the mobile network feels "congested" in most parts of the Centre, I'm not with Telstra but my provider uses their network. I couldn't get the NSW Check in Application to work a couple of times because the mobile data was just too slow and was causing the application to load incorrectly (missing elements like the check-out button for example).
Some of the interstate apps will hold checkin data until the device has a network connection again. Works quite well, I think.
Swift

Post by Swift »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 am

Top it off, Went to JB-HI-FI to look at Laptops for a trip I'm hopefully taking towards Christmas, had my heart set on a nice laptop with a Ryzen 3 processor that I felt was snappy and for me (wouldn't be using it for much besides web browsing and managing photos at the end of the day, maybe a few low end games just to keep myself entertained at night). I couldn't track down a Assistant in the laptop area and then after 10 minutes one appeared & went and asked one of the other customers near me if they wanted help but not myself, just ended up walking out after another 5 minutes. I've been searching for Laptops that aren't a hunk of old junk for the past two weeks and everything that comes up online contains those "low powered" Intel U Series CPU's. Sorta staying away from those but might be all I can get in the end. I'd say this is because of the on-going chip shortage. I can't even get a laptop at Retail that doesn't contain a U series CPU unless I'm willing to pony $1000+ for one.
You let a hard to get ideal laptop go because of an instance of lousy customer service?

Related, am I the only one who can't find assistance when I want it and gets approached quickly when I don't?
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Swift wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:02 pm
ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 am

You let a hard to get ideal laptop go because of an instance of lousy customer service?
It is a laptop and isn't really the end of the world, Just that it was the most decent out of them there within that price range plus the specifications of that particular laptop. as I mentioned, I'd already looked for a staff member as I was ready to buy that one & go, couldn't track one down and then when one approached another Customer, they walked off again to somewhere after that customer said they didn't need help, I don't ask for much but I'd been around there long enough looking at other Laptops and all that time wasn't asked or approached once, not much else I could do to obtain that Laptop if I couldn't find someone willing to get it from whenever they store the non-display models.

Next time I won't worry dealing with sales staff, I'll just click & collect, cut the hassle which I should've just done in the first place.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Today's what gives me the s#!ts:
  • Those violent Anti-vax/anti lockdown protests in Melbourne.
  • news companies that report on "rare" coins that are apparently worth a lot of money (i.e. a rare one dollar coin for example) Nonsense in my opinion, here's an example of the "rare coin that's worth a lot of money nonsense" here: https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/worth-60 ... 026077.amp
  • As Stated in an older Post I made in this thread, Anti-vaxxors, especially those who have a position of power (i.e. journalists, reporters and politicians) I get some concerns they may have but vaccines are tested very carefully, we wanted this pandemic to end so that's why we have the vaccines, most take years to develop, we're just lucky that a vaccine for covid was developed in just over a year.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

On a packed bus, the person in front of me takes up two seats, using it as a leg rest. Another person gets on the bus and asks if he could sit. Person on the seat refuses. Selfish behaviour, I can understand using it as a leg rest in an empty bus, but in this case, it was packed. I understand not offering the seat, but flat out refusing to the person's face?

P.S. I couldn't offer the seat next to mine, as somebody else was already sitting on it.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Should have given the oxygen depleting cockroach an earful. Just reading that gives me raw sewerage levels of rage!
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Seems to be another day another case of rude passengers, most of the people are well behaved down here for the most part, I'd say most because it is actually the school students who are sitting an disgraceful example of behavior, the other week one was joking about clipping nails on the train with their mates and I'm sure they were actually doing it because we were in the quite carriage and you could hear the click of a nail clipper at work, filthy!

Then the other time a week or so ago bunch of High School students again in the carriage I'm in found abandoned airpods that must've been filled with the usual earwax and that jazz, again being loud and telling their friend to lick it, constantly and then there was another student from one of the local schools on the train ripping off all the "sit here" stickers. Yeah people might not like those stickers but no need to deface public transport, it's already grimy enough as it is.

I laugh at this, because when I was at High-School, the year groups would all get pulled into the school Hall if any students misbehaved on public transport and the principal made sure what they said stuck with the students and was mentioned we'd have our passes revoked if the behavior kept repeating (this was before Opal). I don't mind if they want to be a little loud but their behavior is usually way over the top, obnoxious and just annoys the other commuters who want to make their journey in peace.
Swift

Post by Swift »

This might be an odd one to some but why are so many young drivers buying up Falcons and Fairmonts these days?
They were a bit slow on the uptake. I knew how great these cars were since the XE range were a current model!
They were always overlooked by the young crowd and now every second driver is a kid!
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Bus Suggestions wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 pm On a packed bus, the person in front of me takes up two seats, using it as a leg rest. Another person gets on the bus and asks if he could sit. Person on the seat refuses. Selfish behaviour, I can understand using it as a leg rest in an empty bus, but in this case, it was packed. I understand not offering the seat, but flat out refusing to the person's face?

P.S. I couldn't offer the seat next to mine, as somebody else was already sitting on it.
Would be worse if the weather is cold and wet and the shoes have mud on them. :!: :shock: :!:
ScaniaGrenda wrote: Seems to be another day another case of rude passengers, most of the people are well behaved down here for the most part, I'd say most because it is actually the school students who are sitting an disgraceful example of behavior, the other week one was joking about clipping nails on the train with their mates and I'm sure they were actually doing it because we were in the quite carriage and you could hear the click of a nail clipper at work, filthy!

Then the other time a week or so ago bunch of High School students again in the carriage I'm in found abandoned airpods that must've been filled with the usual earwax and that jazz, again being loud and telling their friend to lick it, constantly and then there was another student from one of the local schools on the train ripping off all the "sit here" stickers. Yeah people might not like those stickers but no need to deface public transport, it's already grimy enough as it is.
I wouldn't be caught dead licking earwax of someone else's airpods. Definately not appropriate during a time like now during the event that-many-of-us-wish-was-over :shock:
Last edited by MotorOmnibus8562 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Wrong topic, but I will reply to Swift's message anyway...

With people buying up on Falcons, it's probably because they have (slightly) less stigma attached them compared to the typical bogan-mobile, the Commodore, and as such, they're less of a cop magnet too, unless of course they stick out like a sore thumb with the usual bogan mods e.g. lowered, tinted, loud exhaust, HOONIGAN stickers etc. (or what is obviously a turbo 6 or a V8 despite having a P plate in the window)

As an added bonus for those who want a sedan, a Falcon is not a SUV/crossover or a hatchback, and the ute versions are proper car-based utes, unlike a body-on-frame pickup truck such as a Hilux. On top of that, a Falcon/Fairmont/G6E etc., most likely costs far less than the equivalently-sized car (e.g. Mercedes/BMW/Volvo/Audi/Lexus) of the same age. Probably the only rival to a second hand Falcon these days would be the Kia Stinger, but I can't comment about them; they still seem uncommon around here.

For younger people, late model Falcons, with rear wheel drive and the awesomeness of the Barra 6, also aren't as bland as a front wheel drive Camry/Magna/380/Insignidore for example.

Return to “The Lunch Room”