What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Fleet Lists »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:31 pm
I am not convinced privatisation can be solely blamed for this. Publicly owned operators (Brisbane City Council, Metro Tasmania, Transport Canberra) are also short on driver - perhaps not to the same extent of some private operators though. On the flip side, there are some private operators who are not missing any trips (Busways SA on the top of my head but I’m sure there are others).
Busways in Sydney is certainly having a driver shortage.
Living in the Shire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:57 pm
I am not convinced privatisation can be solely blamed for this. Publicly owned operators (Brisbane City Council, Metro Tasmania, Transport Canberra) are also short on driver - perhaps not to the same extent of some private operators though. On the flip side, there are some private operators who are not missing any trips (Busways SA on the top of my head but I’m sure there are others).
Encourage the use of far bigger Trailer buses which do not waste time going around all the backstreets by default 30 km/h back streets where everybody has to leave a 2m gap when passing including cars so people can use bikes, mobility scooters and strollers on the roads.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Just lost an eBay auction for a standalone 1990s Volgren exterior badge, from a bid snipe/auto bidder. This is the second time it’s happened to me, and there will not be a third time, because I’m not touching another auction again.

Seriously, if you’re on eBay and you value your wellbeing, don’t bloody bother with eBay auctions, especially when they allow automatic bidding, third-party bid sniping software, and the related dodgy bidding practices to take place. It is unfair to those who are actively bidding on the website and the mobile application, it is disingenuous as all hell, and it turns honest buyers away. (But of course, that’s big business)
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:57 pm
Well haha haha try treating the drivers with respect instead of basically expecting them to wear daily nastiness from passengers. No wonder heart attacks are rife on the job. Who wants that, not to mention stabby behavior from fellow drivers, who are often worse than management.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

On the topic of Ebay, those who buy the latest Transit Graphics releases (Ozbuses etc) only to instantly resell them on fleabay. Nothing Transit Graphics can do to really combat this but as one who was up against many others trying to secure a model as part of their latest release after waiting so long this does rub me the wrong way. Much like Xbox Series X & PS5 Scalpers a while back, only buying them so they could resell them to jump on the profit bandwagon.

One of their newest MAN A95 ND323F's has already got a $305 bid sitting on it, good luck getting that if anyone wants to remotely bother, I see it ending well over $500 as someones going to have that amount of disposable cash ready at hand to pay for it.

Shame our market is so tiny compared to Creative Master & the likes from Hong Kong / UK, would've probably created less of seagull frenzy whenever a model hits the online auction market.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

The fact that Foxtel is still in business no matter how many times they breach the ACMA and dozens of other laws.

Unrelated to the above, but lately Foxtel has been spam-calling me to send back an old IQ3 box, which is not mine since the account was with someone who died last year and I have never been with Foxtel, while knowing full well that I do not have a mobile phone and cannot complete the Parcelpoint return form, which absolutely requires a mobile number (e.g. starting with 04) presumably so it can send a text with a parcel tracking number and/or QR code, and maybe even a printer in order to attach said codes to the parcel.

More recently, they're now trying to harass whoever picks up the phone with a $300 fine if the box is not sent back within 14 days. Good luck with that, if they won't take the IQ3 back without putting me out of pocket upwards of $20 (if not $50 via a courier) for a 3kg parcel they can take $0 out of the estate like everyone else because she didn't own jack (she died owing money).

Update:

Got my neighbour to add their mobile number (as expected, the SMS had nothing more than a QR code and a link to a PDF of the Parcelpoint tracking number) and got around the Foxtel account requirement by using a Telstra bill (as she had Foxtel through Telstra, which is apparently different to "naked" Foxtel) and removing the leading "2000" from the account number since the Foxtel returns app doesn't allow more than 9 characters as it was only designed for standalone Foxtel accounts, not Telstra.

Seemed to work enough for me to receive a PDF with the tracking number. As I haven't used a printer in several years (why do businesses expect households to have printers, label makers and other office equipment? Likewise with expecting no less than 100.0% of the population to have a mobile phone), the ink dried up long ago, so I saved the PDF to a USB stick and took it with me to the Parcelpoint drop-off location. I gave the box to the counter along with the USB stick, and the woman told me she didn't need the USB as it was already on the system, and she printed it out in front of me and that was it. Not my problem now, if it's the wrong account number because Foxtel won't accept truncated Telstra account numbers as there is no option for such a thing on their website, they can talk to a few hundred grams of ashes.
Last edited by Heihachi_73 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Sorry to hear how that dastardly company treats you.
I hated dealing with them which is why I have never and will never subscribe again.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

I can imagine it is having an impact on your mental health with a company like Foxtel trying to extort you over something someone else bought :(
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Surely they expect to write some off, especially when they become the older model.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Growing up my school Library in the early 2000's had an older Austar set-top box on one of those TV carts you use to see the teachers wheel out. Never once did I ever see that box get used and I assume the school or education department had long stopped paying for service before my arrival to school yet the school held on to it, never heard any teachers nor the school librarian mention anything about it henceforth my next point.

I think Foxtel cares more about getting the money out of people than recovering the old end of life hardware. I mean where is it going to go when it reaches Foxtel HQ or end point? If it's declared end of life & the manufacturer isn't supporting it anymore, It really is straight up E-Waste. Foxtel should be paying You / US to e-waste it but we know that's not how life works.

Tell Foxtel politely to eat a lemon & if they continue their spill that you'll be going to the ACCC for harassment. If you can't return it or have nothing to do with it and their bombarding you with "do this, do that" then yeah that's harassment.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I'm pretty sure they can't do XXX about it. They're just trying it on. Contact a free legal hotline for legal advice.
That's what my mother did when a video store sent letters from debt collectors over an alleged DVD she didn't return when she's adamant she did. She was advised the letters held no weight and to just ignore them and they eventually stopped.

Tell Cockstel to eat a plate of pooh.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

ScaniaGrenda: Exactly. An IQ3 is completely worthless to them, never mind an IQ3 that stinks of cigarettes and has scratch damage from being a footrest for a DVD player and being moved several times during cleaning.
BanksfielderIdiot823

Sorry, just want to let off another gunzel rant in relation to the Sydney fleet, because I feel like the stupidly large amount of Bustechs, Gemilangs and Yutongs around is nearly making me lose my enjoyment of being a bus enthusiast.

Having a bit of a childhood in Bankstown, the 487 was strongly ingrained in my memory since childhood, especially being one of the main ways to get home. And even though that was decades ago, I was still wishing that there would be at least some Volgren buses on the 487.

The fact that the batch of K310UB Optimus was at Kingsgrove for only 3 years and because I’ve been so caught up with things, I never got to ride them on the 487 because of the lockdown in that third year of 2020, and I got out of LGA prison with some free time only to find that they were all cattled up to flipping Region 8 and they were replaced in Region 6 and the 487 by those K310UB Gemilangs and those abysmal K320UB VSTs still painfully bothers me to this day as a gunzel, let alone a Volgren-fanatic gunzel.

I’ve hardly cared anymore for the 487 (and Kingsgrove depot’s equipment for that regard) since then. It’s always either mind-numbingly boring (only Custom CB80s with little to no Ansairs left) or polished garbage that makes me lose my enjoyment for gunzelling (Bustechs and Gemilangs on Scania chassis).

Seriously, the Bustechs were bad enough, but the Gemilangs with them seriously feel like a spit in the face. I shudder and feel the need to give a venomous glare every time I see ANY of those Gemo B8Ls on the T80. Yeah, not even the CDis could give me that much of a rise of passionate rage. Heck, seeing those Gemo K280UBs going up and down Lonsdale St in the CBD in Melbourne was even enough to make me cringe hard. (Seriously, what was Transdev’s deal with almost never running an Optimus on the City - The Pines SC 905?!)

For me, missing any load of Volgrens and getting force fed with Bustechs and Gemilangs is like missing a car show full of Falcons (Go Ford!) and Commodores, and instead getting a carpark full of Toyota Prius; it’s a snore-fest and it drives me up the wall.

Just glad though that I don’t live in Reg 2 and I also live far, far away from Leichhardt depot’s running area, because oh boy…
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:02 am Sorry, just want to let off another gunzel rant in relation to the Sydney fleet, because I feel like the stupidly large amount of Bustechs, Gemilangs and Yutongs around is nearly making me lose my enjoyment of being a bus enthusiast.

Having a bit of a childhood in Bankstown, the 487 was strongly ingrained in my memory since childhood, especially being one of the main ways to get home. And even though that was decades ago, I was still wishing that there would be at least some Volgren buses on the 487.

The fact that the batch of K310UB Optimus was at Kingsgrove for only 3 years and because I’ve been so caught up with things, I never got to ride them on the 487 because of the lockdown in that third year of 2020, and I got out of LGA prison with some free time only to find that they were all cattled up to flipping Region 8 and they were replaced in Region 6 and the 487 by those K310UB Gemilangs and those abysmal K320UB VSTs still painfully bothers me to this day as a gunzel, let alone a Volgren-fanatic gunzel.

I’ve hardly cared anymore for the 487 (and Kingsgrove depot’s equipment for that regard) since then. It’s always either mind-numbingly boring (only Custom CB80s with little to no Ansairs left) or polished garbage that makes me lose my enjoyment for gunzelling (Bustechs and Gemilangs on Scania chassis).

Seriously, the Bustechs were bad enough, but the Gemilangs with them seriously feel like a spit in the face. I shudder and feel the need to give a venomous glare every time I see ANY of those Gemo B8Ls on the T80. Yeah, not even the CDis could give me that much of a rise of passionate rage. Heck, seeing those Gemo K280UBs going up and down Lonsdale St in the CBD in Melbourne was even enough to make me cringe hard. (Seriously, what was Transdev’s deal with almost never running an Optimus on the City - The Pines SC 905?!)

For me, missing any load of Volgrens and getting force fed with Bustechs and Gemilangs is like missing a car show full of Falcons (Go Ford!) and Commodores, and instead getting a carpark full of Toyota Prius; it’s a snore-fest and it drives me up the wall.

Just glad though that I don’t live in Reg 2 and I also live far, far away from Leichhardt depot’s running area, because oh boy…
You wouldn’t like living in region 15 aka MAN Bustech VST central where there are fleets of Bustech VST bodied MAN 18.310s 18.320s and 19.320s with the ocasssional CB60 bodied Scania CB80 bodied MAN Custom Endeavour bodied Mercedes or BYD electric
Swift

Post by Swift »

Hilarious rant as a generation X gunzel who grew up on a lot of 1950s to 80s British chassis with family owned private operators.
The insipidity is getting off the scale these days, but I have taken to the Busways VST mark III bodied MAN 18.310s with ZF transmission. Not so much for the bodies but their engine sounds have grown on me and have improved with age as they've bedded in with years of daily service. Some of them are not bad sounding at all (in a modern context) and I have associated the body style with the sound as that's the only body I come across on that particular chassis.
Even the characterless five cylinder Scanias have grown on me just for the power they have up hills and knowing they have that grunt behind the soulless sound they make. Amazing how you can appreciate what you have.
BanksfielderIdiot823

Yeah. Still, if only Bosnjaks was still around. I still remember Westbus well. Spent a lot of time near the Bonny depot.
MotorOmnibus8562

That software like MS Office and Adobe products have basically turned into subscription-based services now compared to a decade ago when they were either free or you could just buy the product and not have to worry about renewing your subscription. Would rather pay an expensive price and not have to worry about renewing something rather than pay a cheap price and keep having to renew over and over again.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Evil companies becoming money vampires.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:28 pm Evil companies becoming money vampires.
I think they just grew an extra pair of fangs! :?
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Facebooks Garbage trash recommendations algorithm. No I'm not interested in XYZ subject, I've never looked it up or anything relating to it & when you go to click on the drop down menu to click "don't recommend" It is always broken on my end and Facebook comes up with "oops something went wrong, we're working on it". The only reason I have the account is for my page & that's it however still the amount of non-related or no interest crap I get recommended is trash. Even Twitter with Musk at the wheel is terrible now but at least when I go to click on "Don't recommend" if something appears on my timeline the button actually works.

Drivers on the road when the overtaking lane appears and don't move to the left so I can get past them. Was on a country road travelling home from work yesterday and the majority of the road up there is one lane (each side) but eventually a couple of overtaking lanes appear that are at least 1KM in length. Got stuck behind someone who was oblivious to big white "Keep left unless overtaking sign". Not a major issue however still have some common courtesy, I had to switch to the left overtaking lane & then back to the right (since by the time I decided to overtake them the overtaking lane was about to come to an end in 500m)

Mobile Speed Camera - Sure there's mixed opinions on these whether your for or against but is it really necessary to have one set-up in peak hour traffic if the speed limit is 50kmph but traffic is crawling at a snails pace due to gridlock? That and I've been told the operations are contracted out to a big bank which is why I don't like them, should be something the state government is subject to only run but we seem to have a big passion for outsourcing work.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

Not taking sides but listening to the federal opp deputy same the now prime minister is throwing the old out of care homed .........Well HELLO nothing was said about during the last 10 years were they cut money from care homes I lost a parent due to this & NO mention of when "SCOMO" relaxed on the beach in "HAWAII" while the country burnt plus had a photo shot sweeping the street in lismore with a broom. don't hold a hose! fairs fair this govt has been in not quite a year the other mob 10 years to busy helping there mates!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Magnetic

Post by Magnetic »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:02 am I had thoughts myself of going into the industry however for the time being I've decided against (at least for the time being) personally because the pay is on par with what I currently make in a completely different industry, add to doing a lot of overtime and dealing with crap from management (who only sit in their office chairs and don't care what drivers on the ground put up with) as well as listening to stories from former drivers I'd rather go buy my own personal bus and drive that around on my own personal time if I was that inclined.

Don’t KD drivers earn like $1000 a week when they start out then after many years earn like $1200?
When I was younger I really wanted to give bus driving a go and work for Newcastle buses, but that won’t be happening. I cannot afford to live off that in 2023.
I couldn’t live off $2000 a week these days.
BanksfielderIdiot823

1. Gather Round (The AFL’s competitor to the NRL’s Magic Round), Also known as the “Let’s do a South Australian tourism round where we shove all 18 teams into one city that is totally not like the 2020 hubs, and let’s remind Victorians of what life in lockdown was like” Round. Another bunch of games in a neutral venue with a neutral crowd…

2. I absolutely ‘LOVE’ the selective outrage in some of the online footy communities!
> Raise a complaint about the nonsense idea for the Showdown (Adelaide vs Port) to be hosted at the MCG: “YEAH! I AGREE! LET’S FIGHT IT TOGETHER!”
> Raise a complaint about a Victorian match being booted away from the MCG and hosted in an interstate ground for a round that benefits another state with tourism dollars: “GrRrRrR!!! DiE yOu ViCbiAs ScUm!!!!1”
MotorOmnibus8562

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:41 am Facebooks Garbage trash recommendations algorithm. No I'm not interested in XYZ subject, I've never looked it up or anything relating to it & when you go to click on the drop down menu to click "don't recommend" It is always broken on my end and Facebook comes up with "oops something went wrong, we're working on it". The only reason I have the account is for my page & that's it however still the amount of non-related or no interest crap I get recommended is trash. Even Twitter with Musk at the wheel is terrible now but at least when I go to click on "Don't recommend" if something appears on my timeline the button actually works.
I'll have to agree here, Social media Algorithms are indeed a bit rigged. Often, the algorithms reward narcissism such as weird and unfunny pranks, some stupid dances, Dramatic videos. But I've heard that people don't intentionally watch those videos, they watch them because it's pushed by the algorithm. I think sometimes, the algorithm is biased. Some people often title videos a certain way for clickbait.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Makes me sincerely miss the very earlier days of Youtube, people actually created content for the fun of it & not because some algorithm was deciding what genre would be popular at this time and what isn't. You use to be able to find a lot of straight to the point videos, tutorials, DIY etc.

Now It's Intro, sponsorship, minute worth of content then if your not using 3rd party extensions to (block ads) you get two youtube ads, one you have to fully watch, the other you can skip after 10 seconds. It was always going to come to this as time advanced & the platform grew massively so there isn't any denying that.

Contovesery aside with Tiktok, I don't think I could even get into it, again there your up against a more brute algorithm & I'd say more harsh than Youtube, if it decides it hates you, it hates you and won't recommend your content for exposure so you'll gather very little following unless your ready to self-market yourself and even then I'm not too well sure how much that'll work.

Algorithms are why I gave up on Youtube, try creating something that takes over 5 hours to put together and well edited, nope I get very little exposure by the algorithm and it just demotivates myself so I prefer to stick to maintaining my Facebook page; travel is the biggest part but also fun as it pays off if you capture something exciting or unique you were not expecting to come across. Photo takes 5 minutes to maybe brighten if I undershot it and put my brand logo on, if it doesn't get as much attention there then I'm not as bummed, I got plenty of others to post in due time and there'll be the person that'll like what they see.

Return to “The Lunch Room”