Some Half cabs seen in the early 1990s

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
SMS88AEC
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Merlin MO 7291

Some Half cabs seen in the early 1990s

Post by SMS88AEC »

First up this bus fitted with 2 sets of doors was seen close to the Powers Brewery beside the Highway between Surfers and Brisbane Image
Vic plates on this Leyland seen in Campbelltown in December 1990
Another bus with doors and a fine 1960s style livery, this was located behind a country gas station on the highway not far south of Fremantle
In March 1993 this bus was seen in Kununnara in the small street that bordered the bush behind the backpackers where I stayed
Probably a well known bus, this was the first Aussie half cab i ever saw, seen in Engadine in mid 1988
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Post by leopard1543 »

Interesting photos, thanks for posting :!: :D
I'm quite sure that the AEC at Engadine (WA rego # PH2948) was not an ex DGT one :!:
Bring back the Leopards!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I was wondering the same thing. The headlights are original issue, hardly likely to be a retrofit, and it still has a full width desto box.

Could be ex Rover Motors, but I dont think they had route number boxes?? Saints had an AEC, but the route no box was smaller.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

boronia wrote:I was wondering the same thing. The headlights are original issue, hardly likely to be a retrofit, and it still has a full width desto box.

Could be ex Rover Motors, but I dont think they had route number boxes?? Saints had an AEC, but the route no box was smaller.
Could it be from Johnston's, Edgeworth (the AEC Regal 6821S xm/o.628) :?:
Bring back the Leopards!
boronia

Post by boronia »

m/o 628 was originally at Saint's I believe.

However 628 and Rover's 5721 were the only private AECs listed as still surviving in 1977, in Greg Travers' book.
@ The Museum of Fire.
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

leopard1543 wrote:Interesting photos, thanks for posting :!: :D
I'm quite sure that the AEC at Engadine (WA rego # PH2948) was not an ex DGT one :!:
These captions come before the photos, so PH2948 is in Kununnara and may well have been missed from a 1977 book if it has been hidden in the north west for 30 years
boronia

Post by boronia »

The list records all the other private AECs as having being "scrapped" by their respective operators well prior to 1977.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

Its definately not Johnsons m/o 628 as it still had the small 2 figure route number box up till the end.
boronia

Post by boronia »

And photos of 5721 show it didn't have any route number box. :?: :?:
@ The Museum of Fire.
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Re: Some Half cabs seen in the early 1990s

Post by DiAmOnD T »

SMS88AEC wrote:First up this bus fitted with 2 sets of doors was seen close to the Powers Brewery beside the Highway between Surfers and Brisbane Image
This is 2514, with its second owner. As noted below (Taken from fleet listings-post war AEC deckers) its been around! and is still with its last noted owner.

2514 - sold 1/77 to Taylors Murwiillumbah NSW regd MO 7716 then noted 10/92 at Carrara Gold Coast QLD for Brisbane Bears AFL Football Team reregd 977.ACT qld then resold to Choices Restaurant Broadbeach Gold Coast reregd 295.BWV qld for Courtesy bus then noted 94 resold to Surf & City Liquor Store Nerang as 295.BWV then noted resold to a private buyer at Hendra QLD - use unknown then sold again noted 99 at 3WJ Motors Roselands for resale then resold 12/01 to Scott Wilson Brookvale for preservation

Im surprised that Mosman was, Vash the stampeed or leopard lover haven't picked up on this yet.
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
boronia

Post by boronia »

Not to mention a certain Randwick driver frothing at the mouth, perhaps he is working today.

But at least there is a Leyland air-door to balance the sanity of the post.
Last edited by boronia on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Sb617

Post by Sb617 »

Have to say with the first pic.. that 'koala' mascot for the Brisbane Bears AFL club is shocking!
Unless stated otherwise, comments that are posted above are those of my own only, and are not those of any company or organisation.
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

here are a couple more shots, the first shows the well known wreckers yard along the highway from Sydney to Campbelltown, and the blue bus advertising swimming pools, I cannot remember where it was taken
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Engadine bus is definitely DGT. The Kununnurra one has 44" desto- I would certainly like to know the number of that. The Blue Haven Pools bus is ex 2379.
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

SMS88AEC wrote:here are a couple more shots, the first shows the well known wreckers yard along the highway from Sydney to Campbelltown.................taken

Casula Wreckers
. I think that the bus at the back (closest to the camera) is AEC Regent: 1845 and Leyland OPD2: 2163 is in front of it.
Bring back the Leopards!
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

SMS88AEC wrote:
leopard1543 wrote:Interesting photos, thanks for posting :!: :D
These captions come before the photos, so PH2948 is in Kununnara and may well have been missed from a 1977 book if it has been hidden in the north west for 30 years
Thanks for that correction SMS88AEC :!:
Bring back the Leopards!
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Dave Wilson wrote:.........The Kununnurra one has 44" desto- I would certainly like to know the number of that..............
I also have a photo of this decker (somewhere). Will look it out and see if I can post it.
Bring back the Leopards!
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

If anybody wants to find this bus today, perhaps the best place to start is the street this photo was taken in.All i can tell you is that directly accross the road from this bus was a walking track (no car access) into Hidden Valley National Park, and one block (max 300 metres ) behind this bus was 1993 old address for the YHA backpackers.I visited in March 1992 and March 1993 seeing this bus on both occasions so this address was its longterm home. Perhaps those plates would enable any friendly :wink: policeman to come up with a chassis number if the plates have not been re-assigned.Even if it has gone away I bet the neighbours might remeber such a distinctive vehicle................
boronia

Post by boronia »

boronia wrote: However 628 and Rover's 5721 were the only private AECs listed as still surviving in 1977, in Greg Travers' book.
As it seems 5721 was located near Sydney in 1990, that eliminates it as a suspect.

So, did one of the "scrapped" buses actually survive :?:
@ The Museum of Fire.
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

boronia wrote:
boronia wrote: However 628 and Rover's 5721 were the only private AECs listed as still surviving in 1977, in Greg Travers' book.
As it seems 5721 was located near Sydney in 1990, that eliminates it as a suspect.

So, did one of the "scrapped" buses actually survive :?:
I guess those PH plates were issued in Port Hedland, which is a very long way from Sydney at Regent speeds :P , perhaps the wide desto box and the lack of a platform box make this a bus supplied new to a company in Northern WA,maybe in mines?
boronia

Post by boronia »

A few deckers found their way from Sydney to Perth for a second commercial life, so possibly some adventurous caravaners could have made it to PH and elsewhere around Australia.

I think the records of bus chassis that came to Australia have been well scrutinised, and any "missing" chassis would be known about. It is a Sydney Comeng or Clyde body, so most unlikely to have been bodied here for service in PH, even if they had mines there in those days.
@ The Museum of Fire.
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

boronia wrote:A few deckers found their way from Sydney to Perth for a second commercial life, so possibly some adventurous caravaners could have made it to PH and elsewhere around Australia.

I think the records of bus chassis that came to Australia have been well scrutinised, and any "missing" chassis would be known about. It is a Sydney Comeng or Clyde body, so most unlikely to have been bodied here for service in PH, even if they had mines there in those days.
Which operator used Regents on service 747??? This looks like a genuine period routenumber
AEC Decker
Favourite Vehicle: AEC air-door Decker of course.

Post by AEC Decker »

boronia wrote:Not to mention a certain Randwick driver frothing at the mouth, perhaps he is working today.

But at least there is a Leyland air-door to balance the sanity of the post.
Yes he was at work, Saturday and Sunday, driving Volvos not AEC Air Door Deckers. :(
(It stated in the job advertisement when I started "some shift and weekend work required", so you expect it).

No frothing at the mouth needed, I already knew mosman was, had acquired AEC Air Door 2514 for preservation. :D :wink:
STA CNG Scania 3461-3520,3621-3661=Scania Blοater
STA O405NH=Classic Blοater
STA O500LE 4868-4877,4879-4902,1800-1811=Heavy Blοater
STA O500LE 1812 onwards=Blοater
STA O500LE Euro 5 Diesel=Non Blοater or AdBlueter
AEC Decker
Favourite Vehicle: AEC air-door Decker of course.

Post by AEC Decker »

The yellow AEC Decker OCV 759 with APEX on it, was a mobile kitchen and was for sale near Miranda in the late 80s or early 90s. I took it for a test drive and mechanically it was worn out. I can't remember its' DGT number, but it was an early one with the mushroom accelerator.

Does anyone know its' DGT number ?
STA CNG Scania 3461-3520,3621-3661=Scania Blοater
STA O405NH=Classic Blοater
STA O500LE 4868-4877,4879-4902,1800-1811=Heavy Blοater
STA O500LE 1812 onwards=Blοater
STA O500LE Euro 5 Diesel=Non Blοater or AdBlueter
boronia

Post by boronia »

SMS88AEC wrote: Which operator used Regents on service 747??? This looks like a genuine period routenumber
Unfortunately, none of them. Rover's had no route numbers at all, and I dint think Hunter Valley's did either. As mentioned earlier, Saints' had only single track blinds. The glass is big enough for a 3 track blind, which was (or should have been) unique to the DGT.

I'd say the 747 has just been painted onto the glass, perhaps making reference to a "jumbo" sized bus.
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”