[NSW] Once upon a time - Parramatta Ryde Bus Service Part 1

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

[NSW] Once upon a time - Parramatta Ryde Bus Service Part 1

Post by Centralian »

I have seen some amazing photos covering the fleet of this operator over its long history, so my sample over the next few posts is very modest. I have no doubt that other enthusiasts out there have some great pictures and will share some with us as well. A sad day when this operator sold out, even if 50% at a time. As usual, I cover a sample of the fleet that was around in the late 70's and into the 80's, with a couple of more modern offerings.

Parramatta - Ryde operated, you guessed it, Route 173 (later 540) from Parramatta to West Ryde Station with some deviations. It also acquired the former Willcox route from Auburn to Silverwater and Ermington and for a while operated a Red Arrow service from Chatswood to Parramatta.
The operator built and modified their own bodies for decades, and ran all their activities from premises in Atkins Rd, Ermington. Enjoy!

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16644
The coach and charter side of the business traded under the name Trailer Tours, for this historical reason. The last trailer unit operated was registered 5461 in the mid 70's. Here is one of their former trailer units I photographed in Newtown about 1974 owned by a church group at the time.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16653
White was a popular chassis with Parra-Ryde and they bodied many examples to this fairly standard own design, with slight variations.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16668
Another example of this style, unfortunately well after its days with Parramatta Ryde.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16669
5439 was a White truck chassis conversion fitted with a raised deck body by Parra Ryde in 1968.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16676
Another shot of 5439 later in its life with Parramatta Ryde after it received a spruce up, the most obvious being the new front and paint job.
Last edited by Centralian on Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Lee

Post by Andy Lee »

The last shot is after it was re-chassis'd with a Leopard chassis and still survives today and is to be restored in the near future, it was sold from Parra-Ryde to the Vision Valley youth camp.
As you get older you start to tick more boxes.....................why is it so?
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Thanks for that Andy, I didn't know about the re-chassis. I did notice the steering wheel and the front wheel hubs which made me think that some more major changes could have taken place, but I couldn't find anything about it. Cheers.
Maff

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time - Parramatta Ryde Bus Service Par

Post by Maff »

Hello, I know this is old but I have just joined this forum because of this post. I own the white superpower with gospel hall on it & am looking for more information and images. Please contact me at skate.photograph@gmail.com if you have any info. Cheers :)
GM

Post by GM »

The First "Bus" to operate from Ryde Station in the direction of Parramatta was operated by Aif Wigzell in 1895.
The next operator c1915 was Harry Howell whose International is shown.
(Later Harry was to operate Routes 164 and 165 out of Parramatta).
c1925 the service passed to William Henry Phillips.
Bus No 3 was a Federal Knight with a body by Bert Staunton, (with the Phillips Family).
Bus No 4 was a 1927 Reo with a body by Peter Bros.
Next was another Reo m/o 73.
Later in 1934 a Fageol was purchased, then a Garford.
Attachments
Establishing a Bus Service - r.JPG
Phillips W H - mo xxx Garford - Ex Metropolitan Omnibus Co - r.JPG
Phillips W H - mo xxx Fageol - Purchased 1931.JPG
Phillips W H - mo xxx Fageol - Purchased 1931.JPG (67.57 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
Philips W H - mo 73 Reo Speed Wagon Peter Bros - West Ryde Station - W H Phillips & Unk.jpg
Philips W H - mo 73 Reo Speed Wagon Peter Bros - West Ryde Station - W H Phillips & Unk.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
No 4 Bus - 1927 Reo Speed Wagon, Body by Peter Bros - 1930 - r.JPG
No 3 Bus - 1925 - Federal Knight, Body by Bert Staunton - Phillips Family - r.JPG
No 2 Bus - 1921 - International - Mr Howell - r.JPG
No 1 Bus - 1895 Alf Wigzell - r.JPG
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Greetings GM, gems of information and images as always. Maff tells me that in the early '90's the bus he refers to above and an identical unit were parked in an industrial area around Somersby and then the unit was owned by an elderly gentleman in the Gosford area who converted it into a mobile home. Any recollections by anyone ?
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

One picture of m/o-5461 with a different trailer attached the other picture of m/o-5439.Picture from the Leon Batman collection
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13065
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13064
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
VIKing

Post by VIKing »

The White as the church bus was Parramatta - Ryde m/o 4421, a White with a diamond T petrol motor. The body was built at the Parramatta Ryde depot, 65 Atkins Road, Ermington by one of the
subsidiary companies - Ermington Motor Body Works P/L - though the bodies were always referred to as Parramatta - Ryde bodies. It was a 41 seater, completed in 5/1961. Chassis number was 252949.
I have recorded it was sold in 3/1975 for use as a church bus, rego HFX 834. I noted it parked on Epping Highway. I am guessing the photo was taken at the Billy Graham crusades at Randwick Racecourse in
Maff

Post by Maff »

I'm not sure about the church sale or maybe this isn't my bus. Trying to find info years ago my partner spoke to a man who was apparently the builder of our bus & he said that in that period there no two that were identical, there were slight differences. I would have thought that if ours was sold to the church it would not have the 173 to left of the destination board. This photo was taken in 2002 ish.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13748
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-16653
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

173 was Parramatta-Ryde BS route number between Parramatta and West Ryde. Subsequent owners of buses sometimes retain the original labels and just stick their own signage over the top.
Edit: oops, just realised your point about the route number still being there in the 2002 photo, whereas it's the church bus signage in my shot.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Maff

Post by Maff »

Yeah it's weird. After living in my bus for nearly 17 yrs I look at the image with gospel hall & it just feels right, little details are exact. Though if you look closely my bus has the same front wheels as the other one, the gospel ones are different. But then look at the gospel & mines front bumper, they are exact both even look slightly crooked in the same direction. That's why I thought maybe these were the two parked together at somersby but the wheels swapped over. Doesn't explain the 173 bit though. Unless mine is another bus all together.
Maff

Post by Maff »

Actually you may right about that. The north Ryde was probably a sticker on the outside which could be easily peeled off or deteriorated in the weather.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

You can plainly see that the North Ryde sign is a label crudely affixed over the route number and starting to peel off in the shot at Randwick.
Everything checks out in the fronts in both photos.
-Grill design.
-Skinny Bumper (appearing to slope slightly downwards toward the near side - as you pointed out)
-In board vent flaps either side of the upper part of grill.
-Badge positioned exactly between bottom of windscreen and top of grill.
Regarding the front wheels, I cannot detect any difference in the second photo and the third.
I think it is just the different camera angles. The wheels in the first shot showing m/o 4671 look to be different with straighter looking spokes on the spider wheels.
I am convinced your bus is ex m/o 4421.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Maff

Post by Maff »

I think you're right swift. I just looked closer & realised I was looking at it wrong. :) thanks. Yeah I'm convinced 100% now.
GM

Post by GM »

Some more vehicles fro W H Phillips, Ryde-Parramatta Bus Service and Parramatta-Ryde Bus Service.
1) Parramatta, Cnr Church and Macquarie Sts., c1930
2) Ryde-Parramatta Reo, possibly m/o 73
3) m/o 115 Ford with 30 seat Syd Wood body from Reo, 09.12.1948 - Note the background. South side of Argyle St Parramatta
4) m/o 788 Ford with 31 seat Parra-Ryde body 14.12.1948 - Note the background. South side of Argyle St Parramatta
5) m/o 117 Bedford GMH body
6) Three Semi-trailers m/o 917, 876, 390 Hollywood Picnic Ground Lansvale 05.12.1948
7) Ford, Oldsmobile with body off White from Maunder St Ives, Bedford c1944
8) Fleet 1961 from R-L, Ten MBA bodied Whites, Six White powered Semis.
9) Fleet 1961 L-R, Six White powered Semis. Ten MBA bodied Whites
10) Semi-Trailer and Camel Train GM
Attachments
Parramatta - Church & Macquarie Sts.,- c1930 - r.jpg
Parramatta - mo xxx Reo - Route 173 Ryde- Parramatta W H Phillips - Church St & Macquarie Sts., Parramatta.jpg
Phillips W H - mo 115 Ford Syd Wood 30 - Parramatta Stn 09.12.1948 - An RD Photo - r.JPG
mo 788 - 01 Ford Phillips 31 - Parramatta Stn 14.12.1948 - An RD Photo - r.JPG
mo 117 Bedford GMH.jpg
mo 117 Bedford GMH.jpg (63.96 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
Parramatta-Ryde - mo 917, 876, 390 Ford Waddingtons 51 - Hollywood Picnic Ground, Lansdowne  05.12.1948 - An RD Photo - r.JPG
Parramatta-Ryde - Ford, Oldsmobile (ex Maunder), Bedford - c1944 - r.JPG
Parramatta-Ryde - Fleet 1961 R-L - r.JPG
Parramatta-Ryde - Fleet 1961 L-R - r.jpg
Parramatta-Ryde - Fleet 1961 L-R - r.jpg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
Camel Train & Semi Trailer Bus.JPG
Swift

Post by Swift »

Any pics showing the many all over advertising treatments I remember seeing on Parramatta Ryde's AECs in the late 80s?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

We have just one in the photo gallery http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-15190 only added in the past week or so
Living in the Shire.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Love the semi's. Thanks GM.
billh35

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time - Parramatta Ryde Bus Service Part 1

Post by billh35 »

Where did the Fageol come from?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:42 pm We have just one in the photo gallery http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-15190 only added in the past week or so
Forgot to thank you for that Fleet Lists. Great blast from the past. I remember that one.

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”