HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Re: HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Post by Eurostar »

I spotted bus shelter in Montacute , was there a bus service to this area?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
matthewtrim

Post by matthewtrim »

Hey I am new in Adelaide, could you guys let me know the full details of BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

matthewtrim wrote:Hey I am new in Adelaide, could you guys let me know the full details of BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES
See https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Timetables-Maps. The Network and City maps are a good starting point.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

Was there any bus shelters on Mount Barker Road between Devils Elbow and Crafers or was it mainly just bus stop painted on stobie pole/freestanding bus stop signs?
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

I think this is on a post somewhere so my apologies that i can't find it but could someone please tell me where TT Edinburgh north depot is i went for a drive the other day and couldn't find it
Thanks
jibb

Post by jibb »

I believe it is on West Avenue Edinburgh,same location as previously.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

Former driver37 wrote:I think this is on a post somewhere so my apologies that i can't find it but could someone please tell me where TT Edinburgh north depot is i went for a drive the other day and couldn't find it
Thanks
East Avenue, Edinburgh
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

Eurostar wrote:
Former driver37 wrote:I think this is on a post somewhere so my apologies that i can't find it but could someone please tell me where TT Edinburgh north depot is i went for a drive the other day and couldn't find it
Thanks
East Avenue, Edinburgh
Cheers for that mate
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Eurostar wrote:
Thanks
East Avenue, Edinburgh
Has it moved? According to their website it's on Ridgeway Rd.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

Skexis wrote:["Former I think this is on a post somewhere so my apologies that i can't find it but could someone please tell me where TT Edinburgh north depot is i went for a drive the other day and couldn't find it
Thanks
East Avenue, Edinburgh[/quote]
Has it moved? According to their website it's on Ridgeway Rd.[/quote]

Southlink Elizabeth Depot is on Ridgeway Road, Torrens Transit Edinburgh Depot is on East Avenue which was a Telstra property if I remember rightly
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Elizabeth Depot (technically at Elizabeth West) was renamed to Edinburgh North Depot when the suburb of Elizabeth West was renamed Edinburgh North, and is located on Ridgeway Rd.
Edinburgh Depot is located on East Ave.

Edinburgh North Depot is run by SouthLink and Edinburgh Depot is run by Torrens Transit.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Yet on the SL website Edinburgh North is still referred to as Elizabeth.
Busboi1984au

Post by Busboi1984au »

Hi, does anyone have a detailed route description of the old
350 Port Adelaide to Paradise interchange ? And even a map
Of the route if possible.

Thanks
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

The 9 March 1986 public timetable shows the route as being Commercial Rd, Grand Junction Rd, Hampstead Rd, Mullers Rd, North East Rd, Sudholz Rd, Darley Rd, Gameau Rd to Paradise Interchange. Realistically it was only a feeder to/from the 360, between Paradise and stop 28 Grand Junction Rd (just West of the Hampstead Rd/Grand Junction Rd corner). There were two trips in each direction, departing Paradise at 06:27 and 07:08 and departing stop 28 Grand Junction Rd at 16:48 and 17:38. These connected with the 16:20 and 17:10 trips respectively from Port Adelaide. The trips were not included in the public timetable with effective date 22 June 1987.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

Just wondering if anyone here would have a list or even a link to see all of the numbers that have been used for STA/Trans Adelaide, Adelaide Metro etc routes since going to 3 number routes and also their destinations. Obviously current Routes are easy but the last time that route number was used ie 205 was last City to Elizabeth Station via Hampstead Road, Bridge Road and Salisbury I/C.
Cheers
Now Running Express - Next Stop: City
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Post by Crispy! »

Route 506 wrote:Just wondering if anyone here would have a list or even a link to see all of the numbers that have been used for STA/Trans Adelaide, Adelaide Metro etc routes since going to 3 number routes and also their destinations. Obviously current Routes are easy but the last time that route number was used ie 205 was last City to Elizabeth Station via Hampstead Road, Bridge Road and Salisbury I/C.
Cheers
I have a Metroguide from 1998-1999
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

The Phonj wrote:The 9 March 1986 public timetable shows the route as being Commercial Rd, Grand Junction Rd, Hampstead Rd, Mullers Rd, North East Rd, Sudholz Rd, Darley Rd, Gameau Rd to Paradise Interchange. Realistically it was only a feeder to/from the 360, between Paradise and stop 28 Grand Junction Rd (just West of the Hampstead Rd/Grand Junction Rd corner). There were two trips in each direction, departing Paradise at 06:27 and 07:08 and departing stop 28 Grand Junction Rd at 16:48 and 17:38. These connected with the 16:20 and 17:10 trips respectively from Port Adelaide. The trips were not included in the public timetable with effective date 22 June 1987.
Just reading this post it reminded me of what I think was a 351 or 352 cross suburban route that terminated at the old Hillcrest Hospital around the same time. It may have gone down Regency Rd from Arndale or Port Adelaide from memory.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Recently I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research on the history of Mount Barker, and I often find myself stumbling across long-forgotten bus routes.

Today I’m sharing a former incarnation of the Mt Barker loop services, dating from 1992. It was only around for ~4 months, run by Briscoe’s (trading as Mt Barker Passenger Service).
Mt Barker Town Feeder Service
Route 839
13.4.1992 - 7.8.1992

From the Morphett St terminus (cnr Morphett and Stephen Sts, facing south-west) via Morphett St, l Adelaide Rd, r Dumas St, l Wade St, r Ray Orr Dr, r Memorial Drive, l Kay Rd, r Flaxley Rd, l Hurling Drive, l Carr St, r Gilbert St, l Hughes St, r Princes Rd, r Albert Rd, l Hurling Drive, l Victoria Rd, l Alexandrina Rd, r Exhibition Rd, Hutchinson St, l Morphett St to the terminus

7 anti-clockwise trips in the morning; first departing at 07:05

4 clockwise trips in the evening; last departing at 18:05
Incidentally it shares the number with the current loop service, which takes a somewhat similar route. I believe this route would have failed for a few reasons;

- Citybound 840 services doing their own loop through the southern part of Mt Barker (servicing a similar area)

- Not calling past Mt Barker Hospital (Wellington Road opposite Cedar Gr), a major potential patronage generator

- Not running during the day or on Saturdays, thus missing any shoppers

- The population of Mt Barker (at the time) not able to justify a feeder service. Until 2000 when the Heysen Tunnels were opened, it was still very much a “country town”, and had an inconsistent 120minute service on Sundays until 2007

An interesting service for the time; I often wonder what the Hills network would look like today if MBPS were still operating in it. Comments, questions, and discussion is welcome

With thanks to the Mount Barker Courier, Mt Barker Passenger Service timetables, and Garth Evans for original information.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Interesting finding there Mr. Data, I wonder if the service was subsidised by the local council or another authority.

It needs to be remembered that Mt. Barker Passenger Service, being a private company had to cover their costs from the farebox revenue. In 1995, the adult fare from Adelaide to Hahndorf was $4.10. According to the RBA's inflation calculator; in 2019 that same fare would be $7.26. Mt. Barker was a little more, I can't quite remember if it was $4.30 or $4.50. Half fare for concessions (government subsidy on those) but no free travel for seniors. May be a 10% discount for "multi trip" tickets. For comparison, the regular, two hour, all times, multitrip fare was $1.60 per trip. Today's fare is $3.84 on a Metrocard, an increase of 140% on the 1995 price. Based on that same fare rise, my ticket to Hahndorf would now cost $9.84. Would the current levels of patronage be there if it were $10 for a ticket?

They wouldn't be running services that consistently had no or minimal patronage and most likely would still have pick up/set down restrictions between Adelaide and Aldgate, thus depriving them of the resultant revenue in the 'inner' section of the current 864 route.

Based on that information, my suspicions would be that Mt. Barker would have an hourly service during daylight hours, two hourly at night all via Aldgate, with additional freeway express buses for peak hour commuters. Later starting and earlier finishing hours. Service concentrated on the "trunk" to Mt. Barker, with sporadic services on the 'branches' to Lobethal, Nairne and Strathalbyn. Naturally, only speculation on my part, it is anybody's guess as to what would actually have happened if it weren't merged with the Aldgate operations, or gone metroticket.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
leftyandy76
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M artics

Post by leftyandy76 »

I think you would've seen the demise of Mr BPS in its current form had they;
A) continued the way they were going
B) hadn't been bought out by a larger operator
C) continued with cheap fares, whilst being being heavily subsidised by the government.
Chooke

Post by Chooke »

Hi, newby here though a long time lurker.

I remember back in the 1970s I sometimes caught the bus from the city to Albert Park. At the stop just before the Grange rail crossing there was a clock which the driver would get out and open it with some sort of key and do something. What was the purpose of this and when did it cease being used?

It's funny some of the little things you remember as a child back then. The bus tickets had proverbs on the back of the ticket. Still to this day I remember a particular one as I was heading home punishment for wagging school the previous day "today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday".
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

The purpose of the clock was to record on time running. If the bus was a little early the driver would often stand by the clock for a minute or so before clocking in. They were referred to as Bundy Clocks where I grew up in Melbourne and were used extensively on the tram system.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

It is an assumption, but the clocks were all about on-time running. I can remember inspectors opening these clocks and checking when each service went passed and punched the clock.

I can remember as a kid waiting at such stops, and imagining that I was a driver punching these clocks! My father actually gave me a key once the clocks were removed. But that has long been lost.

I moved to Hendon in 1979 and I clearly remember the clocks at stop 24 (Holdens Woodville). When the public timetables went to running times in the early 1980s (once before you only got told when they left the city or left their suburban terminus), stop 24 Port Rd was shown as a time point.
T3331
Favourite Vehicle: 3331

Post by T3331 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:26 pm Recently I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research on the history of Mount Barker, and I often find myself stumbling across long-forgotten bus routes.

Today I’m sharing a former incarnation of the Mt Barker loop services, dating from 1992. It was only around for ~4 months, run by Briscoe’s (trading as Mt Barker Passenger Service).
Mt Barker Town Feeder Service
Route 839
13.4.1992 - 7.8.1992

From the Morphett St terminus (cnr Morphett and Stephen Sts, facing south-west) via Morphett St, l Adelaide Rd, r Dumas St, l Wade St, r Ray Orr Dr, r Memorial Drive, l Kay Rd, r Flaxley Rd, l Hurling Drive, l Carr St, r Gilbert St, l Hughes St, r Princes Rd, r Albert Rd, l Hurling Drive, l Victoria Rd, l Alexandrina Rd, r Exhibition Rd, Hutchinson St, l Morphett St to the terminus

7 anti-clockwise trips in the morning; first departing at 07:05

4 clockwise trips in the evening; last departing at 18:05
Incidentally it shares the number with the current loop service, which takes a somewhat similar route. I believe this route would have failed for a few reasons;

- Citybound 840 services doing their own loop through the southern part of Mt Barker (servicing a similar area)

- Not calling past Mt Barker Hospital (Wellington Road opposite Cedar Gr), a major potential patronage generator

- Not running during the day or on Saturdays, thus missing any shoppers

- The population of Mt Barker (at the time) not able to justify a feeder service. Until 2000 when the Heysen Tunnels were opened, it was still very much a “country town”, and had an inconsistent 120minute service on Sundays until 2007

An interesting service for the time; I often wonder what the Hills network would look like today if MBPS were still operating in it. Comments, questions, and discussion is welcome

With thanks to the Mount Barker Courier, Mt Barker Passenger Service timetables, and Garth Evans for original information.
Hello, I created a map on google my maps based off this. It has the current 839 route in green and the old 839 route in blue. Forgive me if the link does not work but is this accurate?
Here is link to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

The map you’ve created appears to be private, however I look forward to seeing it :)
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”