Ventura Group news August - December 2015

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Alstom 888M

Re: Ventura Group news August - December 2015

Post by Alstom 888M »

I recall a slide show that detailed certain KPI figures such as accidents by depot, on-time running, complaints received, etc. One figure that horrified me was that the depot I was working at the time received over 800 complaints in that quarterly period, of which only 11 were actually actioned upon.

I have often wondered if some of the best howlers end up on the fridge in the starters office...
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

1184 (in PTV livery) was the first bus out on the 742 today in heavy fog (pre-dawn). I really hope there is a plan to replace all of the older desto gear with Hanover units, as the one on this bus is useless to the point of being almost nonexistent, with the writing not visible at all until about 10 metres from the front of it.
Paul_Nicholson
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Worldmasters

Post by Paul_Nicholson »

I would imagine many "legitimate" complaints concern drivers and air-conditioning. Even on the warmest days, some drivers still don't have the air-conditioning on. Today's low floor air-conditioned buses can get uncomfortably warm inside even if the outside temperature is in the low to mid 20s.

One wonders about the "howlers" and who makes them.

Paul in Melbourne

PS: Older enthusiasts may remember the times when a bus and coach society in Victoria used to receive regular "complaints from the industry" about various member of the bus enthusiast fraternity. Was it really a concern of "the industry" about who sleeps with who? But we digress..(from the Ventura Group thread).
jamesadams7

Post by jamesadams7 »

Paul_Nicholson wrote:I would imagine many "legitimate" complaints concern drivers and air-conditioning. Even on the warmest days, some drivers still don't have the air-conditioning on. Today's low floor air-conditioned buses can get uncomfortably warm inside even if the outside temperature is in the low to mid 20s.
Hear hear, re: air-conditioning. Previously, I've been told by a Transdev rep that the air-conditioning is only designed to reduce the temperature in the bus by 10 degrees C. However, like you've said, I've sat in buses that feel about 30C while it's only 20C outside!
man mk1

Post by man mk1 »

V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

jamesadams7 wrote:
Paul_Nicholson wrote:I would imagine many "legitimate" complaints concern drivers and air-conditioning. Even on the warmest days, some drivers still don't have the air-conditioning on. Today's low floor air-conditioned buses can get uncomfortably warm inside even if the outside temperature is in the low to mid 20s.
Hear hear, re: air-conditioning. Previously, I've been told by a Transdev rep that the air-conditioning is only designed to reduce the temperature in the bus by 10 degrees C. However, like you've said, I've sat in buses that feel about 30C while it's only 20C outside!
I would agree that this is more often than not, due to the low standard of drivers employed these days who, in a nutshell, don't give two ####s about passengers comfort.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
scott

Post by scott »

I travelled on a stinking hot bus yesterday afternoon, asked the driver nicely to turn the aircon on, just ignored me. I understand if the A/C unit is faulty and a change over was not immediately available, but it was like a sauna inside.

It was a bubble bus from Knox depot.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

man mk1 wrote:1047 in a smash at boxhill south http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 7571625420
Hopefully they are charged the full cost of both the car (a very new-looking VF Commodore, rego conveniently missing or unreadable in every single photo) and the bus (a very new-looking Optimus), regardless of damage - the Commodore is obviously written off; let's hope they have to buy Ventura a brand new bus too, while 1047's minor damages are repaired. But seeing this is Australia, they will probably get off scot-free (or with a small slap-on-the-wrist fine) since an under-18 teenager is no different to a newborn baby in the eyes of the law. Maybe the cop can throw an attempted murder charge at them too, even if they have to wait for their 18th birthday before anything is done.

As a side note, if it was an unmarked police car, why weren't there any hidden CCTV cameras installed in it like they do with bait cars?
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

Heihachi_73 wrote:
man mk1 wrote:1047 in a smash at boxhill south http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 7571625420
Hopefully they are charged the full cost of both the car (a very new-looking VF Commodore, rego conveniently missing or unreadable in every single photo) and the bus (a very new-looking Optimus), regardless of damage - the Commodore is obviously written off; let's hope they have to buy Ventura a brand new bus too, while 1047's minor damages are repaired. But seeing this is Australia, they will probably get off scot-free (or with a small slap-on-the-wrist fine) since an under-18 teenager is no different to a newborn baby in the eyes of the law. Maybe the cop can throw an attempted murder charge at them too, even if they have to wait for their 18th birthday before anything is done.

As a side note, if it was an unmarked police car, why weren't there any hidden CCTV cameras installed in it like they do with bait cars?
Sadly you are probably right. Our piss weak legal system with its bleeding heart lawyers will stick up for the offenders, and they will soon be back on the streets wreaking havoc again.

Im sure there is no shortage of CCTV footage in any case, Im sure the Bus CCTV in itself probably tells an intriguing story.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
scott

Post by scott »

Croydon based 758, MB 0405NH CC CB60 seen on route 737 Monash bound around 4:15pm.

Has it moved house to Knoxfield or only a visitor?
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

I for some reason thought 737s were run by Croydon Depot
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Leyland B21 wrote:I for some reason thought 737s were run by Croydon Depot
Croydon depot currently only runs the routes that were previously operated by Mt Dandy Bus - 688, 689 & 690 plus a number of school runs in the outer east to schools in the region, including some charter runs to Donvale Christian College and Yarra Valley Grammar. Previously it operated some of the National runs (270, 271, 366 & 367) as well.

There is often rumours of moving other routes there, with some Lilydale routes also being candidates but little has evaluated so far.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Andy O

Post by Andy O »

ventura 1243 seen late today leaving Scania (or Vicroads) in Dandenong South
Craig

Post by Craig »

Ventura #1156 (Scania L113CRL, Volgren) now wears an AOA for Holmesglen TAFE. Based at Oakleigh depot, it was seen here running an Route 8 tram replacement towards Toorak on 2/12/2015.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
man mk1

Post by man mk1 »

hi seen today 734 lilydale bus is the chrismas bus
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

man mk1 wrote:hi seen today 734 lilydale bus is the chrismas bus
That's one of the two Christmas Buses. There is a second one too doing the southern depots, but they're only posting the runs of #734 on the Twitter feed.

And I just saw a tweet just then that there's a competition running presently to win free movie tickets if you take a selfie of you with one of their christmas buses if anybody here is that keen.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

And I just saw a tweet just then that there's a competition running presently to win free movie tickets if you take a selfie of you with one of their christmas buses if anybody here is that keen.
Seems to be a few takers posting their selfies with the bus on Twitter. I have two sets of photos from past years' excursions to take the kids on the bus, and will probably do the same again this year.
Alstom 888M

Post by Alstom 888M »

Is the Christmas Bus an artic like last year?
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

The one I saw in Lilydale this morning was -- but I was unable to catch its number!

Regards (and seasons greetings to all)

Paul
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

paulgersche wrote:The one I saw in Lilydale this morning was -- but I was unable to catch its number!

Regards (and seasons greetings to all)

Paul
Lilydale #734 is the artic
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Roderick Smith

Ventura Christmas bus

Post by Roderick Smith »

Ventura’s festive Christmas bus brightens passengers’ journeys.
December 22, 2015 Maroondah Leader.
Bus driver Andrew Fairhall decked out the bus himself with tinsel and decorations. Picture: Stuart Milligan
FORGET  the sleigh – this Santa’s helper is delivering joy the old-fashioned way.
Ventura driver Andrew Fairhall is helping Santa spread Christmas joy this year, driving the region’s renowned festive bus.
The bus is decked out with tinsel, baubles and a Christmas tree to help passengers get into the festive season.
Mr Fairhall said the passengers’ faces light up when boarding the bus, which frequents the Maroondah and Yarra Ranges region.
“The awe they experience is amazing and most comment on how the bus has brightened their day,” Mr Fairhall said.
“Everyone is offered a candy cane as part of that Christmas feel the bus gives.”
Mr Fairhall said the festive bus had been running for 30 years and was funded by Ventura, while a second bus now covered even more stops on the north and south routes.
They operate from the first week of December through to Christmas Eve.
“It takes 14 hours to decorate the bus because everything needs to be firmly fastened to withstand the daily bumps,” Mr Fairhall said.
“(It’s worth it) because customers leave happy and full of praise for the bus.”
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east ... 24abcd8d92
krustyklo

Re: Ventura Christmas bus

Post by krustyklo »

Certainly a great effort by all involved. :D
I took my 5 year old on it today, it's starting to become a bit of a Christmas tradition, although my 8 year old feels she is too old now, and didn't come...
734 approaching the Box Hill Central bus interchange via the ramp from Station St.

View from the back.

Christmas tree, and front. Mr 5 claimed to enjoy the ride despite the look on his face... :roll:

For comparison, here's the 2013 bus. Not sure how I missed last year's one, I have a feeling that the dates for the end of work didn't give enough opportunity to ride it given it doesn't work Christmas Eve apart from Carols by Candlelight.
BrillOBuffalo
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE CR228L

Re: Ventura Christmas bus

Post by BrillOBuffalo »

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”