488 By the Sea

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
In Transit

488 By the Sea

Post by In Transit »

Its probably about time I demonstrated that 488 is still out and about on the odd occasion.

Last weekend I spent an enjoyable afternoon eating, swimming and viewing the sculptures at Cottesloe. Naturally, transport was by 488 and a convenient bus stop for the 381 (not used on the weekend) made it far easier for me to find parking compared to car-bound friends.

The old girl is still performing very well and had an enjoyable weekend pottering about predominantly the western suburbs with a dinner time detour to Hilton (with memories of the only photo I took of 488 in MetroBus days, when it was on a 105). There are still plenty of curious stares of recognition around Dalkeith from people no doubt wondering why this large bus sporadically comes to visit the area for a few days at a time, and visits every convenient coffee shop...

Many thanks to a certain board member who very kindly charged the batteries prior to my arrival!

In other 305G news, 668 is now in the workshops - the last stage before its inspection and much anticipated registration (its about time it was back on the road!).
sculpturebythesea.jpg
sculpturebythesea.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Re: 488 By the Sea

Post by User 11872 »

Will you be applying a livery? Body looks good!
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

How about in the 760-style Port to City.....would look superb.
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

I'm looking forward to returning 488 to MTT colours - but its not going to be cheap (especially for that colour scheme), and so its entirely dependent on having the cash to do it. Things like buying a second artic probably haven't helped 488's paint budget...

Still, its definitely going to happen eventually.

I don't think 488 ever carried the Port to City logos, coming as it did some time after the original batch (470-487). I suspect it went straight into service to the northern suburbs. Its a pity, as I'd like to recreate that appearance having caught the new linc buses many times on the 760/766. Then again, I'd like to recreate the long removed two single seats on the turntable (I used to make a beeline for those as a kid), but I think these were also only a feature of the first batch. The other difference with 488 is that photos seem to suggest that most, if not all, of the first batch received a repaint in MTT livery before Transperth came into being, and thus received the later MTT logo - but 488 didn't. This would suggest that repaints in those days were scheduled at six year intervals, given that 488 was a very early receiver of Transperth colours, and rules out use of that later MTT logo on 488 (if I'm to be historically accurate).

Happy for any evidence to the contrary!
Dennis96

Post by Dennis96 »

My pictures suggest that 488 is not likely to have received a repaint in MTT dark green, but her first repaint would have been into Transperth white livery. A picture taken on 7th September 1987 on route 390 at the Wellington Street Bus Station at night shows Transperth livery.

Given that 488 and 489 went into service something like 18 months after the 470 - 487 batch, the first repaint would have become due in the Transperth era. Using 478 as an example, I have a picture of her in arrowhead with later MTT logo taken on 23rd July 1986 on the Busway passing the now demolished TVW Channel 7 Entertainment Centre. So the first batch probably did receive dark green repaints. A picture of 478 taken on 5th October 1988 at Warwick has Transperth stickers affixed to cover the MTT logo, whilst the bus still carried the dark green and white colours.

It is possible that 488 ran briefly with Transperth stickers covering the old style gold MTT logo before a repaint into Transperth colours. Briefly being the operative word.

BPSWA has a yellow Port to City logo which could be copied onto an adhesive backed sticker, so if 488 was to enjoy a repaint into her original MTT livery, I am sure the gentleman who has assisted with the decals on so many of our preserved buses can assist there! And wouldn't it be great if BPSWA was in a position to elevate 472 to the top of the list of buses being worked on and recommission her; and find the not inconsiderable amount of cash for a repaint into MTT colours too. We can dream. An enthusiast's outing to Fremantle with 472 and 488 in MTT green would be a great day's entertainment. Designing the layout and securing funds for more covered garage space is the current priority for the boys at Whiteman Park.
Passengers must not talk to Driver
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Very glad to hear that 668 is almost ready to go. I take it you've seen the steering wheel centre cap in the flesh now :wink: I always enjoyed riding her whenever the chance allowed. The same went for 488. I love how your transport when you are in WA is a linc bus. The people of Dalkeith must love you lol!
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
User 11872

Post by User 11872 »

Do it Tony, city to port....close enough!
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

The temptation is strong......! Its not going to happen overnight unfortunately, so there is still plenty of time to consider the options.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

Stig says nothing but I say go for it!
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:

Return to “Photos - Perth/WA”