ZF GEAR BOX IN B10

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
funbus
Favourite Vehicle: man sl200 mkI

ZF GEAR BOX IN B10

Post by funbus »

Hi guys,

Gearbox in B10 auto, has lost all gears. This seems odd, as when we have had issues with blown gearbox's they may still have reverse or limp forward sometimes.

Gearbox was working fine till then. It was driving, and then lost all gears. I know it would be easy and expensive to get a new box, but does anyone have any ideas or reasons that this may happen to a ZF, they are usually strong and long lasting.

Urgent replies please as bus is off the road.

:oops: :evil:
"Its only a bus if it smells like diesel!" Electric buses might aswell be trams!!**
The Cap a tan

Re: ZF GEAR BOX IN B10

Post by The Cap a tan »

The only reasons I know of that a ZF would lose all gears, is that the plug into the computer has wiggled loose and needs to be pushed in, or computer has no power like when the master switch is turned off while the engine is running. Also maybe check she hasn't dumped the fluid due to a leaking seal or fractured case.
funbus

Post by funbus »

Thanks for the information, its a 4HP500 box if that helps anyone. You can move it now when when its cold in reverse slowly.

I am hoping there is an answer, but we cant keep towing it here and there for opinions.

Well checking will continue....

:wink:
"Its only a bus if it smells like diesel!" Electric buses might aswell be trams!!**
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

funbus wrote:Thanks for the information, its a 4HP500 box if that helps anyone. You can move it now when when its cold in reverse slowly.

I am hoping there is an answer, but we cant keep towing it here and there for opinions.

Well checking will continue....

I have ZF manual for 2 speed an 6 speed if that helps
Guy Arab
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

One possible cause - is the engine idling too high? I had this problem once with a B10M with air-throttle.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
funbus

Post by funbus »

Thanks Guy, MTT, Cap a tan again,

Your manuals will unfortunately not help as it a 4 speed, we gave up and gave in, found a very good box in QLD for $3000 + freight. By the time we sorted out diagnostics, towing the carcass around then somehow repairing and rectifying, this is a much better scenario we believe.

Thanks again for your great help as always fella's!

:D
User7526

Post by User7526 »

One of the problems that can occur is quite simply a wire that breaks somewhere in the loom, you need to make sure that all of the inputs and outputs to the control box, selector panel and to the transmission itself are all getting the signals/commands that they should be. Another fault could be the selectore panel itself and in extreme circumstances the control unit could even be faulty, you need to know whether all of this stuff is good before you throw in a transmission because if it isn't the replacement 'box won't work. I've pulled so many harnesses apart between my time at Westbus and Busways, don't open them up unless you really need to.

Peta.
drpeps
Favourite Vehicle: UQB605 & TP1044

Post by drpeps »

Great to see "Peta mechanic" has returned to the forum. I like reading the well thought out responses.
AL

Post by AL »

Check your oil level to see if it is burnt or black. Pull out the main filter. When they fail for good they block the filter up with junk which stops the hydraulics and no go all of a sudden. You can run it with no filter to be able to limp the vehicle for a short distance. If this is the scenario though the box is unfortunately no good.

Otherwise it'll be dodgy electrical connection.
funbus

Post by funbus »

Thankyou,

It was a faulty plug in the end :roll: , the good boys at ZF emailed me the German diagrams in German!!!! :shock:

But it took 2 auto electricians about 8 hours to sort it. :P

Its worth putting things on the forum, as there is a wealth of knowledge out there from all the forum experts :!:

User7526

Post by User7526 »

Glad it worked out, I was seriously thinking that you wouldn't need another transmission.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”