Rail Observations 2024

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Re: Rail Observations 2024

Post by Stonesourscotty »

I was shocked to see at one of the larger better used T1 stations yesterday a female member of Sydney Trains staff asking where trains to Westmead depart from to another member of staff.

It was on the platform of the Penrith branch of T1 where its quite obvious where Westmead trains depart from. She was also stood less than 10 metres from a Screen with the information on.

If peak hour staff don't know the basic stopping patterns then the criteria must be quite low I'm not expecting everyone to know a stop post Wynyard but a basic knowledge between Penrith and City should be mandatory??

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:48 am I was shocked to see at one of the larger better used T1 stations yesterday a female member of Sydney Trains staff asking where trains to Westmead depart from to another member of staff.

It was on the platform of the Penrith branch of T1 where its quite obvious where Westmead trains depart from. She was also stood less than 10 metres from a Screen with the information on.

If peak hour staff don't know the basic stopping patterns then the criteria must be quite low I'm not expecting everyone to know a stop post Wynyard but a basic knowledge between Penrith and City should be mandatory??

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
She could be new, she could’ve been called in for last minute changes or overtime and she isn’t familiar with the station or never used it. Give the person a break, you don’t know all the circumstances. Everyone have their blond moments on the job or get called in to places they never worked or done a particular role.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Why does staff member need to be qualified with "female". You referred to them with the pronoun She eventually.
superbossgc

Post by superbossgc »

Today is 23 June 2024 mark 45th Anniversary of opening of Eastern railway to Bondi Junctions.
Austral Volvo B10M mk3 Artic (375-380) 1991-2012
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

BAMBAM wrote: Tangara set T42, known for its derailment in 2021 at Kembla Grange had 3 Cars transferred from Mortdale Maintenance Center to Auburn Maintrain with locos at the front and end. It will be joined up for normal 4 car block and return to service in the future.
T42 was on the despatch road yesterday at Maintrain as a four car set. Not sure if D6212, the driving trailer that ended up on its side, was part of the set or it another carriage has been subbed in.
Glen

Post by Glen »

superbossgc wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:30 pm Today is 23 June 2024 mark 45th Anniversary of opening of Eastern railway to Bondi Junctions.
"We open the line in 79".

Remember it well, listening to Nifty Neville's speech then racing down to be on the first train from Bondi Junction.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Have noticed NIF sets running under their own power on the Northern Line over the past few days.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Transtopic wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:50 pm Have noticed NIF sets running under their own power on the Northern Line over the past few days.
They’ve been running on their own power for a while now. It’s just the changes needed that made them not in service yet. To date, only 1 has been modified to meet the standards that that we currently operate with.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

At the conclusion of Train Running, Friday, July 5, Waterfall Signal Box will cease operation permanently.
Control will be transferred to the Rail Operations Centre at the Sutherland Desk and will be commissioned into operation from Monday, July 15.

Over the Weekend, July 6 & 7, the Illawarra Line is completely closed from Sydenham to Dapto.

During the Weekday period, July 8 to 12, Pilot Staff working will be in operation between Heathcote and Helensburgh on the Down Line (for Down Trains) and the Up Line (for Up Trains). During this Weekday period:-
1/ T4 Suburban Services will Terminate/commence at Sutherland.
2/ Intercity Passenger Services will only traverse the Section during Peak periods, Up direction Morning Peak, Down direction Evening Peak.
At other times the Intercity Service will only run between Thirroul and South Coast destinations.
3/ Freight will operate over the Section under an Altered Program.

Under the New Arrangements at Waterfall, the Up Yard will now include two (2) Sidings, each with the capacity to hold 5 x 8car Suburban Trains.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Is this the last separately operated signal box on the suburban network? I know that something about the signal box caused real-time tracking to be unavailable around Waterfall station, presumably that will be fixed once the new system is commissioned ?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I think Penrith is still independent?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Three others remain in suburban network.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”