Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Petarkco

Re: Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Post by Petarkco »

stupid_girl wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:52 am
Petarkco wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:21 am https://transportnsw.info/southwest-link
There will be new T6 Lidcombe & Bankstown Line and T3 Liverpool & Inner West Line.
Also confirms that Metro North West & City becomes M1. (https://transportnsw.info/document/7154 ... orkMap.pdf)
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Petarkco wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:32 pm
stupid_girl wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:52 am
There will be new T6 Lidcombe & Bankstown Line and T3 Liverpool & Inner West Line.
Also confirms that Metro North West & City becomes M1. (https://transportnsw.info/document/7154 ... orkMap.pdf)
Also noting that Erskineville and St Peters will be operated as T8 line stations (think there was speculation they'd be operated by T4 line trains?).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

pgt wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:06 pmAlso noting that Erskineville and St Peters will be operated as T8 line stations (think there was speculation they'd be operated by T4 line trains?).
Under this timetable.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Glen

Post by Glen »

:shock:
Aurora wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:17 pm
pgt wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:06 pmAlso noting that Erskineville and St Peters will be operated as T8 line stations (think there was speculation they'd be operated by T4 line trains?).
Under this timetable.
Not long term?
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

From Jo Haylen's IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6YPTY6LIbP/?img_index=1

The Southwest Link bus shown in the post appears to be a Red Bus Service bus based on fleet lists. However, the woman on the right is a Transit Systems representative, as seen from this news clip (https://youtu.be/RjPEkl9kloU?si=6Yapv5bsuvHvJ_eg).
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

Glen wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:24 pm :shock:
Aurora wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:17 pm
Under this timetable.
Not long term?
From https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projec ... e-services
Erskineville and St Peters stations will continue to receive direct services to the Sydney CBD via the T8 Airport & South Line until these stations are moved to the T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line permanently.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

I thought the plan was to funnel everything through the Airport tunnels given there will now be extra capacity, and to free up extra space much needed for the T4? Have the Airport tunnel signalling upgrades been delayed?
Glen

Post by Glen »

What was the maximum frequency intended after the upgrade compared to the line capacity now?
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

Glen wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm What was the maximum frequency intended after the upgrade compared to the line capacity now?
Currently 4 min in peak (15 per hour) and 10 min off peak (6 per hour).

Many of the initial boards outside stations under construction touted 3 minutes.

I would very much like to see off peak increased to 7.5 mins (8 per hour) of even 6 (10 per hour) since this is now a CBDservice.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

London is still well ahead. To their standards 5 mins is a long wait - off peak.
The longer people have to wait at a station the slower you make their average speed getting places. This is not good enough for the expenditure and how new this is and without drivers. I guess we can't make the legacy snail rail system look even more awful.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Engineering wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:32 pm
Glen wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm What was the maximum frequency intended after the upgrade compared to the line capacity now?

Many of the initial boards outside stations under construction touted 3 minutes.

I would very much like to see off peak increased to 7.5 mins (8 per hour) of even 6 (10 per hour) since this is now a CBDservice.
I think they were referring to the Airport line, not the Metro line through the CBD.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Aurora wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:54 pm
Engineering wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:32 pm

I think they were referring to the Airport line, not the Metro line through the CBD.
Thanks, I was, I'll ask again below.
Glen

Post by Glen »

boxythingy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:30 pm I thought the plan was to funnel everything through the Airport tunnels given there will now be extra capacity, and to free up extra space much needed for the T4? Have the Airport tunnel signalling upgrades been delayed?
What was the maximum frequency intended after the upgrade of the Airport line, compared to the line capacity now?
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Glen wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:10 pm
boxythingy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:30 pm I thought the plan was to funnel everything through the Airport tunnels given there will now be extra capacity, and to free up extra space much needed for the T4? Have the Airport tunnel signalling upgrades been delayed?
What was the maximum frequency intended after the upgrade of the Airport line, compared to the line capacity now?
It is from 10tph to 18tph with upgrades to the current signalling, which doesn't include further upgrades with the proposed digital signalling.

From what I can see, the imminent timetable with the closure of the Bankstown Line for metro conversion, will continue to run some T8 peak services via Sydenham to and from the City Circle. There is also a further timetable upgrade proposed in 2025 when the Bankstown metro line becomes operational, which will probably then result in all T8 services running via the Airport Line as previously proposed.

T4 services will continue to run to Bondi Junction as they do now, but at an increased frequency, while SCO Intercity services will run to Sydney Terminal instead of Bondi Junction.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Transtopic wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:34 am
Glen wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:10 pm What was the maximum frequency intended after the upgrade of the Airport line, compared to the line capacity now?
It is from 10tph to 18tph with upgrades to the current signalling, which doesn't include further upgrades with the proposed digital signalling.
Really?

It has trains 3 minutes apart already. Would that not make its line capacity 20 tph ?
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/new ... 5fnlr.html
It seems the line is not yet handed over to the operator, and it will take another 6-8 weeks of trial operations after handover. :(
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Glen wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:48 pm
Transtopic wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:34 am
Really?

It has trains 3 minutes apart already. Would that not make its line capacity 20 tph ?
The Inner City Circle Line via Museum in the morning peak currently has 18tph - 4xT3 + 10xT8 via Airport Line + 4xT8 via Sydenham. There are 2 spare paths. The Outer City Circle via Town Hall has 20tph - 14xT2 + 6xT3.

The 2024 timetable will be an interim measure with T8 services via Sydenham continuing to run, including St Peters and Erskineville, There will be a further timetable update in 2025, when all T8 services at an increased frequency of 18tph will run via the Airport Line. As mentioned, St Peters and Erskineville will then be serviced by T4 permanently and the SCO Intercity services will run on the Illawarra Local to Sydney Terminal instead of Bondi Junction. The Outer City Circle via Town Hall T2 services will increase from 14 to 18tph, although there will be an overall reduction of 2tph on that sector.

I don't know why the full capacity of 20tph in both directions on the City Circle with the current signalling isn't being fully utilised, but it might have something to do with the limitations on the Airport Line and the mixed stopping pattern on the T2 Line until the digital signalling upgrades are completed.
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

Aurora wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:54 pm I think they were referring to the Airport line, not the Metro line through the CBD.
Sorry, my mistake.
PG1

Post by PG1 »

The reason they can run extra services through the City Circle is because of the elimination/closure of St James Station.

On the new map published on the Southwest link page, St James Station has been deleted!!
(Not really, the line/station indicators remain, the name hasn't been included).
Swift

Post by Swift »

As someone with the same name, I can relate to not being included.
I wish they'd do something with the spare platforms in the middle.
PG1

Post by PG1 »

The middle platforms at St James?

There has been some discussion on that topic in this Discussion Board.

see: St. James Station: recent ideas for unused tunnels. Jan 2013.
viewtopic.php?t=71559
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

Passing through Chatswood recently I noticed the Metro from Tallawong deposited all passengers at Chatswood, and then it continued empty down into the dive into the city.

While I believe this ghost through trial running has been going on for a while (seen it on reddit), it hasn't been reported here, nor had I seen it personally before this.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Engineering wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:45 pm Passing through Chatswood recently I noticed the Metro from Tallawong deposited all passengers at Chatswood, and then it continued empty down into the dive into the city.

While I believe this ghost through trial running has been going on for a while (seen it on reddit), it hasn't been reported here, nor had I seen it personally before this.
Thanks. That's important to hear about.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

At least they're not shutting the whole line down for a week or weekend again to test it.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

boronia wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:28 pm At least they're not shutting the whole line down for a week or weekend again to test it.
Actually the metro is closed this weekend 18 and 19 May.

https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/ems-32779

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”