Public Transport in Adelaide at a cross road

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Admet75

Public Transport in Adelaide at a cross road

Post by Admet75 »

Public transport by its definition should be carrying the masses to and from work and or school or for entertainment. However, in reality patronage has declined worldwide since the Covid pandemic started in December 2019.

Patronage is one factor that is dropping, but also to an extent customer satisfaction and governments and operators are scratching their heads what else can be done to increase patronage. It’s a case of damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Recently in Victoria the capped V/LINE fare for all Victoria is now $9.40 or $4.20 for concession, which has yielded apparently some boosts in patronage. One particular bus service the one from Warrnambool to Mt Gambier has seen an increase of patronage by ¼, no news on rail patronage just yet but it will probably show an uptick especially the Melbourne to Geelong corridor which had the largest decrease in patronage of all lines during the height of Covid.

Tasmania recently trialled free public transport on its buses, with Metro Tasmania (Government operator of Hobart, Launceston and Burnie bus services) giving away free travel.

Most recently we have heard that Perth is introducing on the first Sunday of each month free travel on its public transport services to ease the cost-of-living pressures.

However, other capital cities and states have been relatively quiet but sadly the problem seems to be that in one capital city Adelaide- public transport seems to declining in patronage but rail patronage seems to be on the rail up (albeit slowly- spark effect on the Gawler line anyone)

The problem seems to be that Adelaide had just recently wanted to change its entire public transport network courtesy of young transport minister (aged in his 30s) he wanted to reshape the bus system with more feeder buses, cut services in some places where people would have to walk up to 1km and 2kms to access their services (i.e., scrapping of the Galway Avenue Collinswood Go-Zone and bus routes).
The reality hit when there was an outcry and it didn’t look to good politically for the Government- the aim was to cut costs of operating the bus system and if it went ahead these changes would have been worse than the August 1992 cut backs according to those in the public transport industry.

As we know Covid brought about a necessity to rearrange timetables because of workers contracting Covid thereby services needed to be cancelled. Interestingly, Perth and Adelaide battled on still with the same timetable when this was occurring. However, Adelaide as early as the 1st May 2023, that a sudden timetable change yielded some cancellations to bus services which had been temporary according to the Adelaide Metro site up until 1st May 2023 but affected mainly Torrens Transit operated bus services and they have as well as the Government has promised to put back the services that have been cancelled after they have enough staff to cover shifts. Let’s see if they fulfil their promise.

Noting that Busways in the Outer South in January 2023 did some timetable changes that mainly provided more evenly timed services to make it easier for passengers to remember their services. However, not all services are evenly timed but most are which is blessing in disguise for many Outer Southern suburban bus commuters.
So, what can Adelaide do since patronage is decreasing but unfortunately for a government to implement changes would be harder than ever before?

Yes, I understand that contractors have a say about how they run their services- this is quite limited now because a few years ago State Treasury removed the patronage incentive payment to operators (remember those big changes from 2000 to 2009- Torrens Transit mainly).

As it turned out we have seen some increases in rail patronage- hot on the tail of electrification of the Noarlunga line (including an extension to Seaford- that was first suggested in the 1970s). However, the electrification of the Gawler line I am awaiting patronage results for that.
To implement changes unfortunately it’s a case of Robbing Peter to Pay Paul principle- in other words to increase service kilometres you must cut service kilometres elsewhere. Interestingly the only time I have heard a major change will occur once the Gawler line gets all its electric trains- I personally don’t know how far away that is.

Public transport unlike health is not as important as it once was for this current State Labour Government and we have a minimum of eight years rule from them because the election yielded disastrous results for the Liberal’s.

Our politicians and operators are both aware I think politically they cannot do drastic public transport changes in Adelaide because the problem is that any change that happens causes ruffles in the feathers of Adelaideans. However, recently I spoke to someone who read the same article as I did and said our annual population growth of 1.5% plus SA’s economic growth has somewhat increased. He pointed out to me that the population growth is very true. He mentioned many Eastern states residents especially Sydneysiders and Melbournians leaving their respective capital cities and coming to Adelaide because Adelaide is cheaper and especially University students finding it much more expensive to live in Sydney and Melbourne- in other words they have just realised this.

Population growth and where they are is a topic, I might touch on later but I think suffice to say timetable changes here in Adelaide will not be as major as we may think and trying to get an answer when they will be and what they will be is a question I think will be difficult for all of us to answer, until then Adelaide’s public transport is at a cross road.

These are my opinions what do you think?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Public Transport in Adelaide at a cross road

Post by Merc1107 »

Like Darwin, Adelaide's public transport system charges users a relatively low flat fare, but like Darwin, the cost is not so much of an issue as is the quality of the service.

While I've not visited Adelaide before, I notice that practically every major corridor into the City has an incredible selection of different routes, with a huge number of different variations; Main South Rd buses are particularly representative of this issue, where the 721 has no less than seven major variations. There are a number of other routes along Main South Rd, each with their own variations in route, stopping pattern, hours of operation etc. This sort of complexity would constitute a huge barrier for new patrons to overcome, especially for people needing to transfer somewhere along the way. The level complexity is such that I think it's really a joke to use the "GoZone" branding; it's quite obvious that it's not a case of "turn up and go", you have to be at the right bus stop, at the right time, to catch a service that not only stops there, but also at your intended destination or transfer point. Why bother to learn the intricate stopping patterns and route variations, when you can grab your keys and jump in the car?

Changing any of this seems too much to expect of the Government, with the botched "New Network" of 2020 (seemingly) putting a morbid fear of any change whatsoever into the Government and Service Planners. It's a shame, as Adelaide's bus network is obviously in need of huge reforms, if it is to arrest declining patronage. If you look to Perth, they have spent most of the last 25-30 years constantly tweaking and amending services to meet the evolving needs of the population; buses and trains complement each other (i.e. timetabled connections) rather than duplicate one-another, major corridors have had multiple services consolidated into a single, high-frequency service (often with more localised services supplementing them), and less-frequent feeder routes are usually coordinated so there is a modest level of service in any given area. The end result being that patronage has generally been on an upward trajectory until around 2016/17 when the economy slowed down. The two-zone fare cap, and more recently, free fares on the first Sunday of each month, are really the icing on the cake - they're not the sort of initiatives you launch with a lousy, underperforming bus network as your principle means of moving people.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

The 721 has six variations not seven.
The 750 also has six variations.
I believe these two routes have the most.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Skexis wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:20 pm The 721 has six variations not seven.
I counted the 721R in that.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Ah yes, the R. Forgot about that one. That would make seven however what about the L? Ran from Noarlunga Interchange and up South Rd then left onto Sherriffs Rd to the bus depot. I think the official termination point was Stop 49 South Rd. If that still runs it makes eight. Used to be the last Up service on a weekday.
Gayspie

Post by Gayspie »

The issues facing the reformers of Adelaide's ultra complex/confusing bus network are basically the same issues facing the reformer, who just happens to be me, of a relatively large Social Group for Autistic/Asperger Adults (Adelaide Autistic Adults) which has a very complex/confusing structure built up over years.

Just like how Adelaide's Bus Network has a plethora of aspects, such as F and T and X buses along with an alphabet soup of route numbers and multiple variations of the same routes, Adelaide Autistic Adults also has a plethora of aspects, such as the Promo Pages and Meetup Website and Social Group and D&D Campaign and Kick on and Discord Server and External Events and Jack box Games and Leadership Committee.

Just like how Adelaide's Bus Network experienced a radical reform aborted after strong passenger pushback, in the form of the 'New Network in mid 2020, AAA also experienced a radical reform aborted after strong member feedback, in the form of 'AAA rationalization' in January 2023.

Just like how Adelaide's Bus Network planners intend to phase in a less radical reform over time, in the form of a modified 'New Network' in the coming years, AAA reformers also intend to phase in a less radical reform over time, in the form of a 'AAA Simplification' in the coming months.

In short, reforming confusing bus networks is complex, as is reforming complex social groups.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Rann had some good ideas for public transport projects which could of boosted public transport patronage, sadly many projects stalled (i.e Gawler Line Electrification) or were abandoned (i.e Coast to Coast Light Rail)
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”