What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Merc1107 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:30 pm Makes me sincerely miss the very earlier days of Youtube, people actually created content for the fun of it & not because some algorithm was deciding what genre would be popular at this time and what isn't. You use to be able to find a lot of straight to the point videos, tutorials, DIY etc.
I miss the "homegrown" YouTube channels of old. There are still quite a few around that I watch, many of which have been around for many years.

Their search system seems to have been rigged in more recent times, gone are the separate pages of results, replaced with endless scrolling and two relevant results peppered with "Videos you Previously Watched", "Videos You Might Like Like", Sponsored videos. Very very frustrating.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

My same Youtube channel I use for my Transport videos now days is by technical means my first Youtube channel I created except it was never a Transport channel from the start as I was a child at the time and this was long before my interest into the Transport world & my parents still had dial-up internet so you can imagine uploading a video even back then. My first upload was some low quality video on how to install a Sims 2 modification. Video is long gone to time both from Youtube & the device I created it on (Long gone to e-waste).

I think my first Youtube Transport video was seeing a Cityrail train in the Hunter on the way home from school recorded on my then Ipod touch 4th Gen. Youtube was on the edge of still having majority hobbyist creators but slowly monetisation from bigger channels. I don't think I have the raw video file anymore but last I checked I may still retain the video on my channel but it is private, I unfortunately consider it low quality too and not worthy of showing.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Woolworths replacing the 15¢ reusable plastic bags and charging 25¢ for non reusable paper bags as replacements. Shameless money grubbers. That will be a windfall for this big company and won't help the environment by chopping down trees to make these one use paper versions.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

We get a order home dlv each week I'm sick to death of having milk & frozen goods dlv in paper bags we are usually the last house on the run to often the guy dlv comes down our front path then rip the soggy paper bay rips from the bottom things go everywere you call up head office they offer you a refund lot of good that is when you want the goods NOW thats the whole idea of gettin online shopping also over ordering most things you want each shop it comes up on the site "IN STORE ONLY"
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift

Post by Swift »

I remember supermarkets used paper bags until sometime in the 1980s when single use plastic bags took over. We've gone full circle now, except they're not given free now. That quarter of a dollar you don't notice adds up to millions in the coffers for that giant from us suckers.

Onto the latest peeve, Uncle Ben's rice being changed to Ben's Original and the gent's face who happens to be black American removed due to racial stereotypes.
    He was a man attached to that brand! Who's the racist removing his image because he is black?
    The woke garbage has to be stamped out!
    Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:13 pm Woolworths replacing the 15¢ reusable plastic bags and charging 25¢ for non reusable paper bags as replacements. Shameless money grubbers. That will be a windfall for this big company and won't help the environment by chopping down trees to make these one use paper versions.
    If you only get one use out of the paper bags, all I can ask is, are you trying to carry a pallet of bricks in it!? :mrgreen:

At one point I had a handful that got used several times a week without issue. If they wore out they got used to hold recycling in until it went to the bin.
    MotorOmnibus8562
    Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

At least the paper bags can be recycled, if not, composted.

I reuse my paper bags, if they break, I either put them in the recycling or shred them and turn them into mulch for the garden.
    I also reuse the "Better" plastic bags as well most of the time, but many people still often throw them out into landfill.
    Last edited by MotorOmnibus8562 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Only Stupid people invented vapes.
    Betting ads are pests
    Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
    Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
    ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I am experiencing a growing reluctance to pursue attending the upcoming Maitland Steamfest event, as it has been canceled in the recent years due to COVID. Although it was scheduled to take place last year, the occurrence of heavy rain and subsequent flooding impeded the arrival of several older Steamtrains, ultimately leading to the cancellation of the event, fair enough.

Upon reviewing the weather forecast for this upcoming weekend, it appears that there is a high probability of rain on both Saturday and Sunday, which is unfortunate as of course the Steamfest is scheduled to run on those two days. Both motivation & hope is very low in me that this forecast will change or be wrong.

It is something I've been wanting to reattend, every time it is scheduled to finally occur after such a lengthy period of not running a new roadblock rears it's end and leads to cancellation of the event.
    Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
    ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So sick of motorists on the road not being able to flick their hands up to use this wonderful stick called the indicator stalk. Let's just change lanes without indicating or when exiting or using a roundabout not bother to use them at all forcing motorists like me to come to a stop thinking their coming my way, nope they took the first exit off on the roundabout and I could've gone :/

Speaking of roundabouts, I was raised that you use your left indicator to exit, makes sense to me given when you exit a roundabout your not going right rather straight and can show other motorists that your not going to be coming around anymore however I see a number of motorists using their right indicator to exit and here's me thinking their coming around still.

Went to fuel up the other night and some silly Woman probably in her 30's was using her phone while at the fuel pump, had I not been in work clothing I might've said something. I'm surrounded by Technology myself but I know when I can and can't be using them. Same clowns who text and drive and get into wrecks on the road because they can't live without facebook or instragram for 15 minutes.

Speaking of fuel stations, is it an Australian icon or phenomenon to have the tyre pump out of order at Servos? Seems the majority I go to aren't working and spend lengthy months out of order.
    MotorOmnibus8562

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 am Speaking of roundabouts, I was raised that you use your left indicator to exit, makes sense to me given when you exit a roundabout your not going right rather straight and can show other motorists that your not going to be coming around anymore however I see a number of motorists using their right indicator to exit and here's me thinking their coming around still.
    I beg to differ.

I'm licenced in Victoria and the rule is optional. I'm still on my L plates right now and indicating off a roundabout is optional, usually seen as a piece of road etiquette rather than an actual written rule itself. I'm going straight through the roundabout so I usually don't indicate. Especially in quiet areas, I often exiting a roundabout in busy locations.
    ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 am Went to fuel up the other night and some silly Woman probably in her 30's was using her phone while at the fuel pump, had I not been in work clothing I might've said something. I'm surrounded by Technology myself but I know when I can and can't be using them. Same clowns who text and drive and get into wrecks on the road because they can't live without facebook or instragram for 15 minutes.
    My phone will be in the boot as soon as I'm on my Ps whenever I'm driving, so I can concentrate on driving without distractions. I have to have my phone near me when I drive right now so I can record my hours.
    Betting ads are pests
    Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
    Swift

Post by Swift »

Those super bright white LED headlights that are proliferating on late model cars. I see so many of the vile things and they're like looking into the sun and find myself needing to shield my eyes from them when I'm walking in the opposite direction on the vehicle's left side. Disgusting. They should be prohibited.

I decided to do a count over 30 minutes outside my place.
    The results are below.

Conventional halogen or sealed beam headlights.
    IMG_20230506_183148_copy_800x452.jpg
    IMG_20230506_183148_copy_800x452.jpg (50.34 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
    LED or xenon headlights.
    Screenshot_20230506-183109_copy_270x480.png
    Screenshot_20230506-183109_copy_270x480.png (52.6 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
    ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Just about a bit of everything at the moment;

I have a love / hate relationship with Newcastle, the inner city suburb is alright for walking around & getting much needed fresh air but there's only so much that interests you after a while.

As a worker in Newcastle the choice for picking up hot food for lunch is getting extremely limited, use to enjoy getting the occasional hot chips from the Fish market store in Market-town shopping centre, seems like something has driven them out (rent cost no doubt) as while their store front still stands it is at present gated up with the lights off and has been for about the past two months now. You have KFC & Mcdonalds nearby but who wants that when you could easily get that from your home location around the corner? I'd love to see something unique to Market town that you just simply can't get elsewhere.

Woolworths Market Town use to do hot food you could pick up a good 3 years ago (buffalo Wings, Chicken chips, tenders etc) now all you can get is the sushi stuff (Which doesn't particularly interest me). I usually make my own lunch but my work schedule is tight that sometimes I'm just not in the mood to do it for the next day when I get home after a tiring workday, I'd love just to be able to go into the centre the following day and pick up something hot & fresh, why is getting said food so darn hard in the heart of Newcastle City in the busiest prescient?

Bad timing however Keolis Downer will be unveiling a restored Mercedes O305G bus + open Depot day tour (very rare to the general public) not this Saturday but the next. Unfortunately as much as I'm wanting to make it as Saturday is one of those better days for getting up there by Public Transport I'm going to be attending a work farewell function on the same day (which was put together prior to the announcement of the KD Open day event). Shame but hopefully plenty of pictures and media content will suffice.
    Magnetic

Post by Magnetic »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:31 am Just about a bit of everything at the moment;

I have a love / hate relationship with Newcastle, the inner city suburb is alright for walking around & getting much needed fresh air but there's only so much that interests you after a while.

As a worker in Newcastle the choice for picking up hot food for lunch is getting extremely limited, use to enjoy getting the occasional hot chips from the Fish market store in Market-town shopping centre, seems like something has driven them out (rent cost no doubt) as while their store front still stands it is at present gated up with the lights off and has been for about the past two months now. You have KFC & Mcdonalds nearby but who wants that when you could easily get that from your home location around the corner? I'd love to see something unique to Market town that you just simply can't get elsewhere.

Woolworths Market Town use to do hot food you could pick up a good 3 years ago (buffalo Wings, Chicken chips, tenders etc) now all you can get is the sushi stuff (Which doesn't particularly interest me). I usually make my own lunch but my work schedule is tight that sometimes I'm just not in the mood to do it for the next day when I get home after a tiring workday, I'd love just to be able to go into the centre the following day and pick up something hot & fresh, why is getting said food so darn hard in the heart of Newcastle City in the busiest prescient?

Bad timing however Keolis Downer will be unveiling a restored Mercedes O305G bus + open Depot day tour (very rare to the general public) not this Saturday but the next. Unfortunately as much as I'm wanting to make it as Saturday is one of those better days for getting up there by Public Transport I'm going to be attending a work farewell function on the same day (which was put together prior to the announcement of the KD Open day event). Shame but hopefully plenty of pictures and media content will suffice.

Do you have a link to information about the open day? I couldn’t see anything online about it
    ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Magnetic wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:48 am Do you have a link to information about the open day? I couldn’t see anything online about it
    Apologies for the terrible long Facebook link

Was mentioned on Sydney Bus Museums page a few weeks back.

https://www.facebook.com/SydneyBusMuseu ... n__=%2CO*F
    ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Must've brought this up in the past so I'm bringing it up again;

I'm currently searching for a pair of long pants in my size, and it's proving quite a challenge. The size below mine is too small, and the next size up is too baggy. I'm really hoping to find my exact size, however it seems that when I check online stock, it's frustratingly out of stock at the local stores or the stores that do have it are too out of my way.

Why?
    Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

In my size bracket, people are apparently 10-20cm taller than I am (and I wouldn't consider myself short). The other issue is, it seems to be getting harder to find regular find long pants, the trend is towards slim & skinny fit (no thanks!)
    Bus Suggestions
    Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Funnily enough I'm having similar problems finding pants, but rather because I'm too skinny - very few places seem to have a waist size 26...

On a completely different tangent, today's issue is people and authorities understating/not valuing the importance of good maps, infrastructure project updates, and diagrams. Specifically, the PTA's seeming inability to produce those project updates and up-to-date maps. No projects listed on their project webpage, except for the ones that redirect to Metronet, have recent project updates or maps displaying the final outcome of the project - a good example is the Stirling Station bus interchange upgrade, which is kept relatively up-to-date with access information due to construction works, but with no details of what the final outcome will be.

As of the extension of Tonkin Hwy in 2020, road networks of some areas are about 4-5 years out of date on the network maps, the links to which were taken off the site about 8 months ago... because the version with Airport Line and updated bus network wasn't ready yet. Still not ready, it seems, as the URLs themselves (which still work) continue to display the out of date map.
    I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
    ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Is it just me or did we suddenly have another round of price inflations after the news of the minimum wages increasing?

Paid $14 for a kebab wrap of all things on Wednesday at one Kebab joint (although advertised price on the signage was $12, lazy owner not updating pricing, had I truly known it was now $14 I would never have gone through with it). Other Kebab shop wants the same price for a wrap, snack pack by itself costing $15 for tiny size (just meat & chips) where as it use to cost $12. Biggest snackpack has gone from $20 to $24.

Not just kebab shops either with the price increases, I visited a well known meat factory outlet that begins with an "s", they've hiked the prices up on the majority of their bulk buy items by a couple of dollars. I'm sure supermarkets aren't too far behind with their sneaky "price inflations" but we'll of course call it a "special" during the weekly sales where we drop it back down to the price it was before the inflation (i.e something that retailed for $4 is now $5 but well pretend It was never ever below $5 and claim that $4 is the lowest price this item has ever been).

Nothing to do with the min wage increases I'm sure but sneaky fuel giants upping the prices back to $2L for fuel in time for the "NSW long weekend". Nonsense like that should be illegal, only here do we tolerate it and go "so what's the problem?".

I'd like the government to actually throw us some sort of actual useful lifeline but that's also looked down upon and "we wouldn't have the money for it" but look over there, billons for some submarine has been allocated.

Yes I'm real frustrated, again.
    Swift

Post by Swift »

Good rundown on what's going on.
    ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:57 am

Paid $14 for a kebab wrap of all things on Wednesday at one Kebab joint (although advertised price on the signage was $12, lazy owner not updating pricing, had I truly known it was now $14 I would never have gone through with it). Other Kebab shop wants the same price for a wrap, snack pack by itself costing $15 for tiny size (just meat & chips) where as it use to cost $12. Biggest snackpack has gone from $20 to $24.

That's false advertising. A nice fat fine should negate all his sneaky earnings.
    ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Nevertheless, the price tag of $14 for a meat wrap strikes me as rather steep, and I struggle to now justify such an expense for what it offers. There was a time when I would often opt for it, because I am a shiftworker which meant my shifts frequently conclude late at night, leaving me with very other limited options unless I wanted to work throughout the night on an empty stomach.

In the past, I found purchasing ingredients from the supermarket to be a more economical choice as it always should be. However, recent inflations have left me now uncertain about the viability of this option as well. As I mentioned earlier, even supermarkets are not hiding their increased prices on groceries.

We have the news min wages changes will be happening and suddenly prices start rising again in the very same week, go figure. A game of cat and mouse all over again.
    Swift

Post by Swift »

More exposure of Australia's unscrupulous businessmen and women. Very very corrupt and scammy.
    Fleet Lists
    Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That is the way business is - it is NOT just in Australia.
    Living in the Shire.
    Swift

Post by Swift »

But it is at it's worst here. Australian businessmen in the corporate world are among the worst in the world.
    Being dirty rotten scoundrels is a way of life for them, especially heads of charities!
    MotorOmnibus8562

Ah, This week's what gives me the Sh'ts, get ready, it's gonna be a big one

Impatient Drivers on the road (especially those driving those stupid SUVs and off-road-utes-that-are-next-to-useless(in my opinion)) that speed and overtake me at unsafe locations. Yes, I'm aware the limit is 100 or 80, but just because the speed is that, doesn't mean it is safe to drive that fast.

There's a few roads in the region where I live (I'm looking at the roads Linking Beechworth and Yackendandah) that can be be dangerous and are often quite windy and have blind hills (hiils where you have to follow the line to be safe and have only personally driven through twice as I'm learning to drive) had some idiot drivers that stupidly overtake me at unsafe areas (yes, I was driving during a rush hour)

And also the GOOSE driving a ute at the bus bay at a shopping centre in Wodonga that stupidly entered with a bus already in front of them at the bay. I arrived there on another bus creeping behind them. Because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, they had to go onto the pedestrian area to avoid being sandwiched. What a week!
    Betting ads are pests
    Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
    ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Ah it's Wikipedia this time around, deciding that suddenly my 7 year old account named after "bus manufacturer brand" suddenly doesn't meet their standards anymore.

Although they state the following which I understand - "I noticed that your username, "insert bus brand name", may not meet Wikipedia's username policy because it represents a company’s name (even though you, yourself, might not actually represent insert bus brand name itself).

It took Wikipedia 7 years to decide this is a now a problem? I've never misrepresented the company in any shape or form (if I deliberately did and reports were raised then fair enough). The name / word (if you can call it a word?) is so vague that outside of the country no one would know what it is or means. All I've done in my 7 years of "Wikipedia" Is added a couple of transport photos, updated some articles to meet current standards (i.e up to date mentions of operator fleet). Barely anything that really should be raising flags.

once again I understand their "point", I'm just disappointed after having the username for 7 years they now warrant it as a possible violation, if this was raised shortly after I opened the account (say under the first year) I'd of course be more understanding.

Unfortunately I'm the small fish in this situation, anything I say in the argument is going to be met back from Wikipedias side with "well no you shouldn't have used that username to begin with".

Return to “The Lunch Room”