Leyland Lion - Graebers Lobethal

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tim Williams

Leyland Lion - Graebers Lobethal

Post by Tim Williams »

IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (76.62 KiB) Viewed 8896 times
This is a wonderful treasure - built for the Commonwealth Department of Supply and used for staff transport at Woomera SA. I used to travel to Woomera each week in Airlines of SA Convair 440 Metropolitans for 3 months in 1967/68 and then I was based there for 9 months and saw the 2 (?) Lions regularly, but my trips were in the Leyland Leopards and occasionally Bedford SB's all with Freighter Lawton bodies. I never traveled in one of these Lions, more is the pity!!.

The Lion was a combination of Atlantean (back end etc) and Worldmaster (chassis rails and front end) - not very many Lions were sold - WA had a few.

This photo was taken by the late (and missed) Neil Mackintosh, not sure of the date.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: Leyland Lion - Graebers Lobethal

Post by system improver »

A bit of background (although Dept of Supply buses not mentioned):
https://www.busnews.com.au/features/160 ... eyland-cat

It would appear that there were 3 DoS such buses. One stayed in SA with Graeber's, and the other two (initially) went to Victoria in January 1971 - one to Invicta and the other to Ryan's.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Didnt "Sundowner Scenic Tours" have one?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Wow, what a unit. Was it 0600 powered like the Dos Leopards? Did they have fast diffs as it looks coach like?
Quite advanced and similar to a GM New Look a far as engine placement and the parallelogram windows go.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”