Regional Bus Contracts

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
hillsbus

Regional Bus Contracts

Post by hillsbus »

It's been over 6 months since the tenders closed for the Regional Bus Contracts

https://www.tenders.sa.gov.au/tender/view?id=238881

I thought they were meant to commence on July 1, 2023.

Does anyone have any updates? Will be interesting to see if there are any changes to operators from LinkSA and Premier Stateliner who have the bulk of existing contracts (besides Town services).
busben777
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.360 EEV

Re: Regional Bus Contracts

Post by busben777 »

Apparently Des’s have won Pt Augusta & Link SA have won Mt Gambier town services.
Not sure any others have been announced yet.
Admet75

Post by Admet75 »

Source for the above information.
Its good to see a South Australian company winning both Whyalla and Port Augusta. It looks like maybe Port Pirie Bus service found Port Augusta a little too much for them- that is my opinion.
Keolis Downer aka Link SA for Mount Gambier is interesting because wasn't it operated by one of the eastern states bus companies.

Hopefully we may see some timetable changes but I highly doubt maybe some tweaking here and there but apart from that I am not expecting a huge change.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Admet75 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:22 am Source for the above information.
Its good to see a South Australian company winning both Whyalla and Port Augusta. It looks like maybe Port Pirie Bus service found Port Augusta a little too much for them- that is my opinion.
Keolis Downer aka Link SA for Mount Gambier is interesting because wasn't it operated by one of the eastern states bus companies.

Hopefully we may see some timetable changes but I highly doubt maybe some tweaking here and there but apart from that I am not expecting a huge change.
From what I understand the new contracts mainly ensure Disability Discrimination Act access is met on 100% of services now but there's no extra state funding for additional services.
loungeman76
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Fuji artics

Post by loungeman76 »

I’ve heard too that Premier Stateliner have won the Riverland towns services & LinkSA has won the SeaLink bus service to & from Cape Jervis
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

loungeman76 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:51 am I’ve heard too that Premier Stateliner have won the Riverland towns services & LinkSA has won the SeaLink bus service to & from Cape Jervis
Wow that's a big change if LinkSA won the Cape Jervis bus service? Presume that it might be altered to run from Seaford Railway Station like the LinkSA Victor Harbor services?
Norman
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Norman »

hillsbus wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:39 pm
loungeman76 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:51 am I’ve heard too that Premier Stateliner have won the Riverland towns services & LinkSA has won the SeaLink bus service to & from Cape Jervis
Wow that's a big change if LinkSA won the Cape Jervis bus service? Presume that it might be altered to run from Seaford Railway Station like the LinkSA Victor Harbor services?
I don't think so, the Kangaroo Island market is very different (i.e. more tourist-oriented) to the Victor Harbor market. The customers would expect CBD or hotel drop-off.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

I suspect that the contracted service to Cape Jervis refers to one (return) trip daily, as shown on the Sealink website at https://cms-cdn.travellink.com.au/volum ... 023-24.pdf. It wouldn't surprise me if Sealink continue to operate their own services to Cape Jervis, connecting with the ferry for their tourism operations.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

The Phonj wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:06 am I suspect that the contracted service to Cape Jervis refers to one (return) trip daily, as shown on the Sealink website at https://cms-cdn.travellink.com.au/volum ... 023-24.pdf. It wouldn't surprise me if Sealink continue to operate their own services to Cape Jervis, connecting with the ferry for their tourism operations.
I think you're spot on. Sealink already run their own tourist transfer from the CBD and hotels at 630am each morning and leaving Cape Jervis at 830pm each evening. This is separate to the contracted public bus in the link above. I wouldn't be suprised of LinkSA add in a Seaford to Normamville extra service or something like a Yankalilla to Victor bus a few times a week.
loungeman76

Post by loungeman76 »

LinkSA has an updated Goolwa/Victor Harbor to Marion SC & Adelaide bus timetable from Sunday 1st October which includes the NEW ROUTE 1259:
Ferry arrives 0 915hrs

Cape Jervis dep 0 930hrs
Adelaide arr 1125hrs

Adelaide dep 1515hrs
Cape Jervis arr 1730hrs

Ferry departs 1800hrs
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Also LinkSA have some initial details up regarding the new Mt Gambier town loop service that they won the contract for.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Also new 1258 route from Cape Jervis to Goolwa 7 days a week is good to see.

Also now additional Goolwa/Victor to Adelaide City services too.

Stateliner and Yorke Peninsula Coaches have also published updated timetables effective from October. Nice fresh new format from Stateliner too.
Lt. Commander Data

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

hillsbus wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:40 pm Also new 1258 route from Cape Jervis to Goolwa 7 days a week is good to see.

Also now additional Goolwa/Victor to Adelaide City services too.

Stateliner and Yorke Peninsula Coaches have also published updated timetables effective from October. Nice fresh new format from Stateliner too.
Do you think the 1258 will see any usage? To me, it looks like selling tickets on a dead run to/from the Goolwa depot rather than trying to provide a new service. The additional round trip to Adelaide will be welcomed though, I’m sure.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
The Phonj
Administrator

Post by The Phonj »

I suspect it may have some local Goolwa-Victor usage but precious few travelling to Cape Jervis. It's good to see a new option available though, even if the loading is minimal.

It's also good to see additional services for Stateliner - from what I can see comparing the new timetables with the current, Mount Gambier gets an additional bus via the coast per week and the Riverland goes from one to two buses a day on weekdays. I look forward to seeing the new timetable for Port Pirie etc.

Additional services for Yorke Peninsula Coaches as well; a new Sunday service to Yorketown and Peterborough, as well as Easter Saturday for both services; while Moonta and the Copper Triangle goes from four buses a week to a daily service.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Good to see these extra services but rather than calling them new I'd suggest its reinstatement of things that previosly existed 40-50 years ago. Back then the coast to Mt G was daily except Saturday, two daily to the Riverland and there were two buses on a Sunday night from Adelaide down the Yorke Pen as well as one to Moonta.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Admet75

Post by Admet75 »

“ new Sunday service to Yorketown and Peterborough”
Who rubs this one can’t see it anywhere
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

Admet75 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:09 pm “ new Sunday service to Yorketown and Peterborough”
Who rubs this one can’t see it anywhere
The Phonj wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:37 pm ...

Additional services for Yorke Peninsula Coaches as well; a new Sunday service to Yorketown and Peterborough, as well as Easter Saturday for both services; while Moonta and the Copper Triangle goes from four buses a week to a daily service.
The new timetables are on the YP Coaches website.
The Phonj
Administrator

Post by The Phonj »

The new timetables are available on the Stateliner website for the Iron Triangle and the Eyre Peninsula.

Increases to all timetables compared to the current service level; Ceduna gain one bus per week (from one to two); Port Lincoln gain two buses per week (from three to five); and the Iron Triangle go from 13 buses per week to 18. As 1whoknows suggests; this is likely a return to earlier levels of service as we emerge from COVID.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Looks like YP Coaches have changed their name to just Peninsula Coachlines

Interesting their website now has a Port Lincoln and KI tab. When you click on them, it says information coming soon effective 1 October 2023.
Lt. Commander Data

No investment in the regions eventually gets noticed:
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10290668 ... tid=S66gvF
loungeman76

Post by loungeman76 »

Tenders called for more regional bus services.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about- ... ent-tender
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Disappointing to again see the "no cuts" rather than any incentive to improve services. The government clearly has no interest in providing better services to regional SA.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Lt. Commander Data

1whoknows wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:02 am Disappointing to again see the "no cuts" rather than any incentive to improve services. The government clearly has no interest in providing better services to regional SA.
I would argue they don’t have interest in providing better services to anywhere in SA, including the capital.

I’ve heard from family friends that many Mount Gambier residents simply drive to Warrnambool and catch a V Line train to Melbourne, instead of a coach to Adelaide. Cheaper, similar time, and a bigger city at the end. Which suggests any investment in regional links would be greatly welcomed by residents
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:45 pm I’ve heard from family friends that many Mount Gambier residents simply drive to Warrnambool and catch a V Line train to Melbourne, instead of a coach to Adelaide. Cheaper, similar time, and a bigger city at the end. Which suggests any investment in regional links would be greatly welcomed by residents
If they were to undertake that trip entirely via public transport, at least there is a daily V/Line coach service to Warrnambool, which runs a second trip on some days, plus a weekday coach service to Ballarat, providing an overall offering of 14 weekly coach services towards Melbourne.

The minimum service level expected for significant far-away towns in VIC & NSW would generally be a daily coach service, which I guess you can argue that Mount Gambier has from Adelaide via two separate routes, but clearly the level of rural service delivery that the state is willing to fund in South Australia is substantially less than would be expected elsewhere.
Skyblue1

Post by Skyblue1 »

Not sure if this is the right thread but the ex Hornibrook Buslines (Clontarf, QLD) volgrens that were transferred to LinkSA for Mount Gambier services, can anyone let me know if they are there and which ones are actually in service at all?? Pics would be fab. Thanks in advance. 😁

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”