1998 Mercedes 0404 Tiptronic problem

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
wrighty

1998 Mercedes 0404 Tiptronic problem

Post by wrighty »

Hi guys. Hope someone can help.
I purchased a 1998 Mercedes 0404 from a tour company based in Alice Springs. The bus has been nothing but drama for me. I was told by the son of the seller (a friend at the time) that this was the best bus and most reliable.
It turns out that it is impossible to get parts for. Don't get me wrong, when it runs its great!
My newest problem is the tiptronic gearbox. I had it parked up for a while. Once I went to move it, the selector (under gear stick) started clicking and it wouldn't let me select gears. I looked and it seemed to be a solenoid in the selector box. I couldn't move the thing. After nipping up a few things and checking relays the clicking in the selector stopped but it will still not allow me to select gears. Pushing the stick forward there is no click but pushing it backward I get the usual gear clicking sound but it doesn't select a gear. If I try reverse, it jumps into reverse but no clutching just straight into reverse and hence the bus stalls.
My question is, does anyone know who services the APT buses in Alice Springs? I believe this was an ex APT coach. Not only can I not find parts for this thing but I can't find an OBD reader to try and generate a fault code. I live in Coober Pedy so there is no one here that has the equipment or experience to look at the bus. I thought if I could at least borrow or rent a reader to get a code I would have somewhere to start. At this point I don't know if the problem is in the computer, the transmission the clutch.... I just need to know where to start looking and someone with a little experience with this bus might know.
Highway Traveller

Re: 1998 Mercedes 0404 Tiptronic problem

Post by Highway Traveller »

The bus you brought was owned by Dysons Bus Service in Melbourne ask to speak to the workshop manager he may be able to help you.
Or contact Wayne Thompson at ATG Downunder at Karratha WA he may also point you in the right direction.

On another note i used to work for Dysons doing APT work what coach did you end up buying give me VIN details.
The curse of all Coach Captains is the dreaded ARB's. (see if you can work out what ARB stands for)
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Re: 1998 Mercedes 0404 Tiptronic problem

Post by Guy_Arab »

I THINK THE 404 IS A STANDARD V8 MOTOR IF SO CONTACT ME TEL ME THE GARBOX MAKE I SHOULD HAVE IT TO S IT IS UPDATE FROM 303 I HAVE A PARTS MANUAL FOR MERCEDEES
GUY ARAB

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”