Political discussion

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Re: Political discussion

Post by Enviro 500 »

AmeriKKKa is flushing itself down the toilet.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

There's a real possibility of a red wave or even a republican red wash at the upcoming mid terms
eddy

Post by eddy »

Angela Merkel wanted to use the Nord 2 gas pipeline from Russia to act as a trade lever while Germany went green but Ted Cruz pushed for Donald Trump to stop it to sell expensive American gas.

Now it has been overturned I think if Germany falls into recession and people start dying in their winter they will just turn it on.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Campbelltown busboy

Do governments in Australia do enough when it comes to the encouragement of transport usage because every video on YouTube about public transport in America says that public transport over there mainly run in the downtown areas of well known cities
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What are you trying to prove?
Living in the Shire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:59 am Do governments in Australia do enough when it comes to the encouragement of transport usage because every video on YouTube about public transport in America says that public transport over there mainly run in the downtown areas of well known cities
I think electric bikes and scooters are illegal in NSW but they are the future so buses can stay on the main road for a fast trip.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Campbelltown busboy

Fleet Lists wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:00 pm What are you trying to prove?
the part of the reply about state governments in Australia encouraging public transport usage was a question and the part about the videos about the American public transport are ether people complaining about how bad the transport over there is or it's a European doing a American transit v European transit comparison video
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

eddy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:44 pm
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:59 am Do governments in Australia do enough when it comes to the encouragement of transport usage because every video on YouTube about public transport in America says that public transport over there mainly run in the downtown areas of well known cities
I think electric bikes and scooters are illegal in NSW but they are the future
Not too sure about electric bikes being illegal since their pretty much everywhere in Sydney for example (Most popular with your Deliveroo like employee). E-Scooters on the other hand being a different kettle of fish. AFAIK they to date are still considered "illegal" to operate outside of private property in the state of NSW but that hasn't really stopped people from not keeping it on private premises either. A coworker of mine commutes to work using one (when it isn't raining). Their located about 10-15 away from their worksite in the city so easier for them to jump on & commute. They don't deal with parking costs, they don't deal with opal costs etc, the costs they'd deal with is likely the costs to charge the battery at the end of the day.

I think the general thing with E-Scooters and police is if you don't ride like fliphead and don't draw attention then most police will let you be, if their on a blitz or an officer is having a bad day your likely to get stopped and issued a fine. NSW really hasn't got the legislation up to scratch and because of the speeds E-Scooters can reach there's the thought of whether riders should have to obtain registration (Not sure where you'd stick plates on a scooter? Perhaps a QR code sticker police can scan?)

My own personal opinion is I think there's places they should be legal to operate on (travel in bike lanes and not on the sidewalk footpath) and as for scooters that can reach really top speeds, anything that can reach above 10KMPH should require a license to legally operate. It's just that some of the people that own them seem to believe that it's now a free reign to not give pedestrians warnings their approaching and a general lack of safety both for themselves and others. If your just out for a Sunday ride, I think anything 10KMPH and below is going to suffice, there's no reason why you'd need anything more faster in this situation. If these things are catching up to the speed of vehicles (well maybe not 60 KMPH but 25-30KMPH) why wouldn't you not want a licensing & registration system in place?

Even I think registration for E-scooters is a good and bad thing but if the state at the end of the day wants to start considering them something akin to little moped scooters then they'll likely at some point say "Hey your going to need insurance, rego, license etc to operate that" and imaging if that were to happen I could see E-scooter use dropping.

Don't get me wrong I think their great solution and if they meet various complacence and regulations & standards then I'm all for E-Scooters being a thing but there's factors also beyond the standards themselves that need to be taken into consideration.

(Sorry for the wall of text, just had a lot I wanted to say since it was brought up).
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

The problem is we're not Japan where it's citizens actually are responsible, unlike Australians who don't like to obey rules.
If the government allows something with conditions, it's an iron clad guarantee you'll have a large proportion flouting those. That's why you can't allow them here.
Too many uncivilized people here who can't be trusted.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Swift wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:39 pm If the government allows something with conditions, it's an iron clad guarantee you'll have a large proportion flouting those.
That's the entire situation regarding E-Scooters as a whole in NSW (uncertain about other states). Their not illegal to own like people like to proclaim however they are illegal to operate outside of private premises. Can you ride one at home? Of course but I doubt the majority of E-scooter owners have exactly the backyard space that makes it ideal and for what they cost just doesn't make restricting them to private property ideal, of course people are going to ride them out on street & in cities.

The other issue is you have to put "trust" in those who operate them to do the right thing with them, I'm not going to say everyone who rides them doesn't do the right thing, that is simply unfair and very wrong of me to say so I will say the majority of riders tho don't seem to do the right thing. They will go at top speeds on the sidewalk where there are pedestrians and children about and go past them without a warning signal or bell that their approaching, they don't share any safety concerns for themselves or others & once their on the scooter they exactly act like you (the pedestrian) are the hazard to them, not the other way around. If you use to believe cyclists were bad on the roads, try E-Scooter commuters.

In my OP I mentioned I was very welcoming to them and I still am (another less pollutant way to commute) but as these can reach very concerning speeds It's really important that the government needs to step in and ensure proper regulations & rules are in place. Those who simply choose to do the wrong thing can kiss that privilege goodbye and your not going to lose said privilege if you can follow the rules and not put others at jeopardy.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Swift wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:39 pm The problem is we're not Japan where it's citizens actually are responsible, unlike Australians who don't like to obey rules.
If the government allows something with conditions, it's an iron clad guarantee you'll have a large proportion flouting those. That's why you can't allow them here.
Too many uncivilized people here who can't be trusted.
There are many instances of conditional exemptions from mines, car licences, even buses mate.

All we need is similar to whoever runs into the rear of a car is the one at fault, the same should apply to any bike/scooter whether electric or not that hits a person from behind is the one at fault and may have to compensate them regardless if they have insurance or not.

PS
Rather than giving NSW cars a toll refund it may be better to reduce truck tolls so they use the stronger roads and stop wrecking the side roads.
eddy

Post by eddy »

I love the word BALANCE and I think having states within a federal system is great and perhaps rather than a federal voice where all the aborigines are expected to agree maybe they can have a state voice.
Campbelltown busboy

Corporate America should drop all this for profit stuff for everything and hand the American health system over to Washington so the president the presidents administration and both houses can start fixing the dumpster fire that the corporate for profit system has made American healthcare into whitch is why having a public system with a opt in opt out private insurance option as we have here is a better thing
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:11 pm Corporate America should drop all this for profit stuff for everything and hand the American health system over to Washington so the president the presidents administration and both houses can start fixing the dumpster fire that the corporate for profit system has made American healthcare into whitch is why having a public system with a opt in opt out private insurance option as we have here is a better thing
They should also overhaul their politics too. And make it operate a bit like ours (our political system has flaws too but it's better than the US) especially with a preferential voting system like we have and make it mandatory from 18 years onwards (optional from 16)
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:44 am
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:11 pm Corporate America should drop all this for profit stuff for everything and hand the American health system over to Washington so the president the presidents administration and both houses can start fixing the dumpster fire that the corporate for profit system has made American healthcare into whitch is why having a public system with a opt in opt out private insurance option as we have here is a better thing
They should also overhaul their politics too. And make it operate a bit like ours (our political system has flaws too but it's better than the US) especially with a preferential voting system like we have and make it mandatory from 18 years onwards (optional from 16)
There are alot of issues with America a few of those issues are healthcare public transport and very poor work life balance where employees have plan their lives around their job as a boss can call at any time to order into work no matter what with very low minum wage
eddy

Post by eddy »

In the same way as Putin and the comedian will not talk while the whole world suffers so too are the NSW train drivers and the NSW government while the Sydney public suffer.

I see an easy solution is to train the guards up as drivers and break the trains in half so the driver can see safely on stations that have a slight bend.
eddy

Post by eddy »

NSW Liberals say do not take illegal drugs but the greens say it is ok if you can get them tested first???
eddy

Post by eddy »

To ease the housing shortage people who share accomodation should be given the same pension as a single person because so many people live on their own.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That is actually done - I am aware of some couples who live under those conditions. Even one married couple who have "separated" but still live in the same house.
Living in the Shire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Just looking at pension increases and there is even less incentive to share than before making the housing shortage worse.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But if you change it, you will get a great protest from single people who have more that half the cost of a couple.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

People are saying that the whole country is now labor it would be interesting to see how many councils are outright labor councils and how many councils would have to be under labor rule for a state to be a actual labor state
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What was meant that all Governments at Federal and State levels except Tasmania are now Labor. Local Government is a totally different kettle of fish. I dont think we want to get involved in a discussion of that nature.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I read how business leaders are urging this new administration to forge ahead with the Perrotet government's projects "for the good of Sydney".
Not to line their slimy pockets now would it?
If you want the premier's job, run for it, otherwise shut up and let the elected government decide what it's policies are.
I hope premier Minns does the opposite to what they want to shock them into the reality they don't run the show!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Swift wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:29 pm I read how business leaders are urging this new administration to forge ahead with the Perrotet government's projects "for the good of Sydney".
Not to line their slimy pockets now would it?
If you want the premier's job, run for it, otherwise shut up and let the elected government decide what it's policies are.
I hope premier Minns does the opposite to what they want to shock them into the reality they don't run the show!
Off memory we changed NSW government before the first harbour tunnel was built and they continued with it because it was half done and I think the same will apply to the western harbour tunnel.

Return to “The Lunch Room”