Tram stop changes

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Myrtone

Tram stop changes

Post by Myrtone »

Last year, or just before then, eight tram stops were removed. Perhaps there should be more tram stop changes, removing stops like:
  • Centre road, Carnegie, maybe should have been done when this section of track was duplicated
  • Brearley Parade, West Coburg
  • Mary Street safety zone, St Kilda
We don't have bus stops every 200 metres or less outside city centres, do we? If not, then we certainly do not need trams stops that close together in the suburbs.

For Melville road, I was thinking of having easy access stops in the commercial locations and removing most or all other stops.
Last edited by Myrtone on Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heihachi_73

Re: Tram stop changes

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Give it time, we still need to do something about accessible stops, and of course tram priority and lack thereof. Sitting at a red light for upwards of 60 seconds after already waiting another 30-60 seconds for a right-turning car or five to get off the tracks (because something as simple as a hook turn is too much to ask for) is a much bigger problem than opening and closing the doors at a tram stop in the middle of suburbia.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Also, I was thinking that trams should skip stop 25 in Royal Park whenever the sports centre is closed.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Myrtone wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:06 pm Also, I was thinking that trams should skip stop 25 in Royal Park whenever the sports centre is closed.
If noone is waiting or presses the "next stop" button, there shouldn't be an issue... :wink:

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

But sometimes there may be people waiting there even if the centre is closed. If the stop is closed during those times, they would surely wait somewhere else.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

First you suggest the stop should be "skipped"; this happens if there are no passengers wanting to use it at the time. Then you ask about it being "closed"; what does that mean?

Although the centre may be closed (no events), there might still be people working there who might want to use the tram service.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

I did not realise there might be people working there when it is closed.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Also, athletes use the training facilities outside of the event days.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

I had no idea that the training facilities were used even outside event days.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”