Toyota Coaster: manual vs automatic

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
elbowandchin

Toyota Coaster: manual vs automatic

Post by elbowandchin »

Hello bus drivers and converters!

I'm in my mid 50s (single mum) and am seriously considering moving into a converted bus after my kids leave home (3-4 years from now). I'm currently renting and I know I'll have to move out around then. My rent is nice and affordable right now and I won't find another arrangement so good again, so I don't like the prospect of living in financial stress as I get older. I've got a lot of ideas and I think I could make this work well for me.

I'm pretty sold on Toyota Coasters, not for any reason other than reputation, really. I've started researching how I want to design and set up the bus and I'm familiarising myself with the used Coaster market. I anticipate it would be my home for up to 10 years, so I'd like to spend a bit more for a newer, lower kms model.

I've always been a driver of manual cars and I really don't like how automatics feel to drive, but I'm thinking that an automatic bus might be the sensible option for a woman my age. I'm just concerned an automatic Coaster might not be as robust as a manual. I'm a well trained, capable driver (can even reverse a caravan - golly!), but I am getting older, so I wouldn't mind it if I went automatic, I think, as long as it drives as well as a manual.

Can any of you experienced bus drivers give me some advice with this, please? Is it worth going with an automatic? Or are they more expensive to maintain? More things to go wrong? Would a manual be a pain to drive and manoeuvre, or are the newer manual models easier to manage?

Hoping someone can help. Many thanks.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Toyota Coaster: manual vs automatic

Post by boronia »

The Coaster used to have similar mechanicals to the Land Cruiser. Like most Toyotas, if they are well maintained and not abused, they will go for years.

The auto box shouldn't be a problem. The hardest part might be remembering not to go looking for the clutch pedal each time you pull up LOL. You might get higher fuel consumption in the auto, but that could depend on which year model you get.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
elbowandchin

Re: Toyota Coaster: manual vs automatic

Post by elbowandchin »

Hi! Thanks for that info. I'll keep it in mind.

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”