VOLVO’S FIRST ELECTRIC BUSES IN AUSTRALIA DUE MID-2021

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: VOLVO’S FIRST ELECTRIC BUSES IN AUSTRALIA DUE MID-2021

Post by Merc1107 »

As far as I'm aware, they should be running on Joondalup CATs. Try in the morning or during the day, next time?

Over east, a number of Custom-Denning electrics are presently off the road with batteries being alleged as the issue (see NSW Bus Observations 2022 Thread). If the Volvos use the same make/model of battery, it could be why they're not out.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

bullswool wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 pm Does anyone know when the electric busses usually run? I had no luck in Joondalup this afternoon - the CATs were running as diesels.
Surely not 2880 as it has apparently been stripped of all CAT logos.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

While the preference may be to utilise buses with the appropriate livery or decals, if need be, any bus is better than nothing.

It has not been uncommon to see "normal" buses on the Freo CATs over the years, or even the 555s in Rockingham. In fact, if memory serves correct, Perth CATs have even hosted extra buses not in livery in the past.

It is also possible the electrics might be making a tour of other depots as a show and tell, as 2960 did when first delivered (why, I don't know - the B8s are largely the same buses, with the same irritating quirks as the B7 predecessor). Or even back at Volvo/Volgren for some sort of servicing/repairs.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

Buses from Palmyra would help with Perth CAT runs during peak hours in the past. However, I haven't seen them since 2777-82 were shifted over to Claisebrook.

That said, I'm curious as to which buses were spotted on Joondalup CAT while the BZLs were out of action.
bullswool

Post by bullswool »

Unfortunately I wasn't paying close enough attention to note the bus numbers (2880 *could* have been one of them). I'll make sure I pay closer attention for you guys next time :wink:
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I can see that I'll be struck by Murphy's law of bus chasing. When I finally get over to Perth and head up to Joondalup to try a ride on a BZL I'll find that they're not running! Do you have a bus tracking app over there like we do in NSW?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

The Transperth app will show you where a scheduled service is on its journey, and its ETA at the selected stop. That is all it will show you. No fleet numbers, no actual account of how late the service is, no maps showing the position of every bus in the fleet. I don't believe there are any third-party apps getting this data, but I may be wrong.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:The Transperth app will show you where a scheduled service is on its journey, and its ETA at the selected stop. That is all it will show you. No fleet numbers, no actual account of how late the service is, no maps showing the position of every bus in the fleet. I don't believe there are any third-party apps getting this data, but I may be wrong.
Unfortunately no I use a number of third party apps and they can only use the information provided by TP for live tracking which is pretty basic the general public doesn’t need to know fleet numbers or railcar numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

TP1462 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:13 pm
Merc1107 wrote:The Transperth app will show you where a scheduled service is on its journey, and its ETA at the selected stop. That is all it will show you. No fleet numbers, no actual account of how late the service is, no maps showing the position of every bus in the fleet. I don't believe there are any third-party apps getting this data, but I may be wrong.
Unfortunately no I use a number of third party apps and they can only use the information provided by TP for live tracking which is pretty basic the general public doesn’t need to know fleet numbers or railcar numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe so, but this data is available for many other capital cities around the country as has been implied. Could be useful if someone calls in lost property or similar though.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

bullswool wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 pm Does anyone know when the electric busses usually run? I had no luck in Joondalup this afternoon - the CATs were running as diesels.
4001 was seen at Trucks Centre Kewdale this afternoon, which might explain its absence.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Singapore is really taking off with its three-door RHD electric buses. Now Volvo has done a radical rearrangement of its BZL chassis to enable a three-door version for Singapore. Transperth should consider this for the CATs. Third door is only a wider single leaf and aisle is a bit too narrow, but it's a start. Note the more efficient plug doors.

https://landtransportguru.net/volvo-bzl ... ent-152658
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

tonyp wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:01 pm Singapore is really taking off with its three-door RHD electric buses. Now Volvo has done a radical rearrangement of its BZL chassis to enable a three-door version for Singapore. Transperth should consider this for the CATs. Third door is only a wider single leaf and aisle is a bit too narrow, but it's a start. Note the more efficient plug doors.

https://landtransportguru.net/volvo-bzl ... ent-152658
It has apparently been registered as SG4007T and spotted on test runs.

Singapore has also been in the midst of procuring Scania Citywide LFs albeit in normal 2-door version like the TP BZLs.

An Ankai demonstrator with 3 doors was also seen in Singapore lately.
Last edited by Enviro 500 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

There is a Scania chassis already in Australia, but two-door only.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

tonyp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:25 am There is a Scania chassis already in Australia, but two-door only.
So is the Scania Citywide Chassis is available in the Australian Market now? I've seen the brochures of the Citywide chassis on the Scania Australia website but I wonder when the body manufacturers will start building vehicles on the Citywide chassis? I'm certain Volgren will go for it soon. And perhaps Bustech and Custom Denning for their endeavour bodies? Volgren currently have three chassis options available (BYD D9RA, Volvo BZL and likely the King Long Chassis)

Kind regards, MO8562
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:05 pm So is the Scania Citywide Chassis is available in the Australian Market now? I've seen the brochures of the Citywide chassis on the Scania Australia website but I wonder when the body manufacturers will start building vehicles on the Citywide chassis? I'm certain Volgren will go for it soon. And perhaps Bustech and Custom Denning for their endeavour bodies? Volgren currently have three chassis options available (BYD D9RA, Volvo BZL and likely the King Long Chassis)

Kind regards, MO8562
It was displayed at the Sydney Bus Expo. The Scania rep told me they were planning to get a Volgren body on the demonstrator. It's based on the Scania N series chassis. The only issue I see is that they've retained the old cooling tower on the nearside rear corner but dedicated to an electronics cabinet. Like the N series, it costs two seats off the rear row.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

tonyp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 pm
MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:05 pm So is the Scania Citywide Chassis is available in the Australian Market now? I've seen the brochures of the Citywide chassis on the Scania Australia website but I wonder when the body manufacturers will start building vehicles on the Citywide chassis? I'm certain Volgren will go for it soon. And perhaps Bustech and Custom Denning for their endeavour bodies? Volgren currently have three chassis options available (BYD D9RA, Volvo BZL and likely the King Long Chassis)

Kind regards, MO8562
It was displayed at the Sydney Bus Expo. The Scania rep told me they were planning to get a Volgren body on the demonstrator. It's based on the Scania N series chassis. The only issue I see is that they've retained the old cooling tower on the nearside rear corner but dedicated to an electronics cabinet. Like the N series, it costs two seats off the rear row.
N Series? That would be a descendant of the N113CRB that is my favourite vehicle of all time.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”