STUCK Scania Ignition Key

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
R-C

STUCK Scania Ignition Key

Post by R-C »

Scania 2 Series and 3 Series.

Ignition Key stuck in barrel (cannot remove after switching bus off)
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how to fix it or even better, convert the bus to BUTTON start.
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Re: STUCK Scania Ignition Key

Post by kelvin12 »

No real idea, how about some WD40 down the hole.

Dirk
ekoja
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Mustang Laguna Sega

Post by ekoja »

I wonder if there is a button that has to be pushed before the key will release.
Having said that, if you have been driving the bus for any length of time, ignore my suggestion.
Accipe Hoc
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Will the key turn in the barrel?
38karter

Post by 38karter »

common with scania's we have had, need to turn power on then it will release
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

Are you hitting the stopper and failing to turn the key off before turning off the master? You can't get the key out with the master off. Has it always been a problem or have you never tried? There are 4 K112/3 chassis parked within 15m of me and two currently on the road.

Thats a kick-in-the-arse offence and one of my two pet hates- getting into a vehicle with the bloody AC left on and the key left in the ignition position with master off. Master on, beep fkn beepedy beep beep and air con flattening the batteries and tearing out belts... :roll:

Daz
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
ekoja
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Mustang Laguna Sega

Post by ekoja »

Whats the other pet hate?
Accipe Hoc
R-C

Post by R-C »

No only happened recently.
Bus has power (batteries charged), stop solenoid button used to stop bus, Key wont turn to off position, hence release.
Seeing it cant be moved to the off position to reset the bus, hence cannot be started with key either and has to be started using the rear engine electric box starter switch!
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Does the vehicle have one or two alternators
Does the battery light on the dash work
Is the battery light staying on dull when the power is turned off.

The first thing that I would do is check the regulators in the alternator / s.
There are also two main relays in the fusebox that are probably not at fault but if you pull them out and push them in again it will allow the key to be turned off.
Volgrunzel

Post by Volgrunzel »

Thats a common fault with Scania's. Not being able to turn the key to the off position usually means there is a problem in the charge circuit. Its either a defective regulator (As Mr Scania has suggested) or the brushes inside the alternator have worn down to such an extent, they aren't making a good contact anymore (They are worn out). Sometimes cranking the engine using the switches at the back of the bus (in the engine bay) will change the position of the armature inside alternator, and that can make the circuit which could allow the key to be moved to the off position and the key released. Also, when the ignition is turned on and the warning lights appear (with the buzzer if it works), is the Battery Light on? If its not, thats also another tell tale sign its an alternator problem.

I hope that points you in the right direction.

Regards
Volgrunzel 8)
Daz

Post by Daz »

The battery light came on bright when the key was turned on before starting but stayed on very dim the rest of the time whether the master was on or off. It came to a head when, as you said, the driver was unable to start the coach because the key wouldn't turn off.

Daz
Daz

Post by Daz »

ekoja wrote:Whats the other pet hate?
1) A/C left on with key turned on.
2) Tachograph cards. Didn't need them in QLD and it's simply a pain in the bum.

Also, recently the cold drinks system has been 'upgraded'. Before it was based on an "honesty box" of simply popping a total of about $1 in pure shrapnel into the jar whereas now it's a machine requiring a $1 coin only before you get the can. I'm spending a lot more on cold drinks since this new machine has been installed. I've tried washer on fishing line but not two 10c pieces glued together yet. I am determined to reduce my annual expediture on cold drinks without decreasing my consumption.

Daz
R-C

Post by R-C »

Battery light is a STRONG and not a dull or dim light when you turn on the master switch
I think its a single alternator bus
When master switch is turned off all power is off.
Which fuses should i remove and try. Or should i pull every single one out from the electrical box below the drivers window.
Also bus can only be started from the back and won't start with the iginition key

Mr Scania wrote:Does the vehicle have one or two alternators
Does the battery light on the dash work
Is the battery light staying on dull when the power is turned off.

The first thing that I would do is check the regulators in the alternator / s.
There are also two main relays in the fusebox that are probably not at fault but if you pull them out and push them in again it will allow the key to be turned off.
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Daz wrote: I've tried washer on fishing line but not two 10c pieces glued together yet. I am determined to reduce my annual expediture on cold drinks without decreasing my consumption.

Daz
Probably the reason the machine was upgraded
Is it the truth, or did you hear it from the truth engineer?

http://www.forsyth.id.au/gallery/bus
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Just make sure the rear switch is UP when starting from the front. Is the key now turning off or is it still sticking on.
Your problem may now be the ignition switch. They are made of plastic and wear out in the centre. You need a small screwdriver set like a jewellers one to remove the switch. Also down on the side of the barrel there is an electric solenoid. This may play up not allowing the key to be turned off.
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Sounds Luke a mod waiting to happen there..... Remove solenoid.
dropbear68

Post by dropbear68 »

Dont be sticking wd 40 into any ignition switch, it loosens the old brass and nickel that has worn of the key over the years and jams the switch, only use graphite powder, key switches clap out, sounds like the switch has collapsed
Daz

Post by Daz »

He is in a pickle if it is still stuck now, DB...

Daz
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

mrobsessed wrote:Sounds Luke a mod waiting to happen there..... Remove solenoid.
sounds like a mod ?? Start off with a 4lb hammer :shock: If that won't fix it an 8lb (with a short handle) should solve the problem :twisted: Make sure you have bought your start button first though (I know I didn't mention a 10lb hammer as they usually have a long handle & getting a good swing in a confined space & missing could result in more damage than a stuck key) All care shown but no responsabilty for outcome. Remember all work comes with a concrete warranty (warranty void once vehicle leaves concrete floor of workshop) :shock: :lol:

Seriously though I hope you have found the cause & wasn't too costly to repair
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
Landship

Post by Landship »

So has anyone figured this one out yet? Ive got the same issue, and its doing my head in! :x

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”