Electric Buses for Melbourne

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

SWB5105KGP-3

Re: Electric Buses for Melbourne

Post by SWB5105KGP-3 »

I had a ride on a Parallel Hybrid bus on route 902. I noticed that it's semi automatic transmission during the mechanical transmission stage (After electric motor gives the bus some boost from standstill), with no torque output for approx. half a second during the gear shift. This is the same with all the PH buses I rode in China. I've never come across a PH bus with full automatic transmission. Is there technical limitation necessitating the use of semi automatic transmission? Does it pose danger when torque is suddenly lost on a curve?
red_railway

Post by red_railway »

Saw a fully electric bus running route 527 on Bell Street. So the rollout at Ventura Ivanhoe seems to be kicking in.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

That will be the original electric bus - the other new ones were still at Volgren as of last weekend.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

If these were the BYDs numbered 156x and 157x, about 8 were at Ventura’s Dandenong depot this week.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Good to hear they're on the move. I gather there's to be some sort of launch. I'd expect that to be done by Jacinta after Dan gets back from his hols.
David Horowitz.
ron12

Post by ron12 »

Hi. I'm new to this forum and not involved with the bus industry so this is my opinion only, but I have an suggestion on how you could electrify a long suburban bus route such as the 901 from Frankston to Melbourne airport over a distance of around 115 Km.

An electric bus could probably make one round trip and possibly another trip one way before it had to recharge for a few hours. However, if there was catenary charging along the way, it should be able to make it through a whole day without having to spend hours recharging.

Suppose you installed the catenary chargers at major stops, e.g. train stations, shopping centres and at the airport. These would be an average of 9 Km or so apart, though some would be as close as 3 Km (e.g. Frankston station to Kananook station) while the greatest distance would be 19 Km (e.g. Kananook station to Dandenong station).

A bus would only need to spend about two minutes at these stops to recharge. While that wouldn't be enough to recharge fully for longer spans, it would be more than enough for shorter spans, so that any shortfalls after some spans would be made up for after other spans. The recharge time at stops could be reduced further if the bus also did some recharging overnight. Thus you could have electric buses on a 115 Km route.

Would this be viable?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ron12 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:41 pm Hi. I'm new to this forum and not involved with the bus industry so this is my opinion only, but I have an suggestion on how you could electrify a long suburban bus route such as the 901 from Frankston to Melbourne airport over a distance of around 115 Km.

An electric bus could probably make one round trip and possibly another trip one way before it had to recharge for a few hours. However, if there was catenary charging along the way, it should be able to make it through a whole day without having to spend hours recharging.

Suppose you installed the catenary chargers at major stops, e.g. train stations, shopping centres and at the airport. These would be an average of 9 Km or so apart, though some would be as close as 3 Km (e.g. Frankston station to Kananook station) while the greatest distance would be 19 Km (e.g. Kananook station to Dandenong station).

A bus would only need to spend about two minutes at these stops to recharge. While that wouldn't be enough to recharge fully for longer spans, it would be more than enough for shorter spans, so that any shortfalls after some spans would be made up for after other spans. The recharge time at stops could be reduced further if the bus also did some recharging overnight. Thus you could have electric buses on a 115 Km route.

Would this be viable?
This is what they do in Europe, not only for range, but to reduce the weight of batteries on board so that they can maximise the passenger capacity. The more batteries a bus has to carry, the lower its passenger capacity. Adding more gear onto a bus adds to its cost, so these solutions involving overhead collection are more commonly applied to high capacity buses (arctics and double deckers) where more benefit is to be obtained through the higher passenger capacity.

Two types of collection are used in Europe - dynamic in-motion charging through trolleypoles and static opportunity charging through a pantograph at a charging point at a stop (typically but not always a terminus). The latter technology has already arrived in Australia via the double-articulated buses to be introduced on the Brisbane busways. There's a bit more downtime with opportunity charging and it costs a bit more than the trolleywire method, but both are cheaper than battery buses and have higher passenger capacity.

This tech will come to Australia for artics and deckers anyway because they're too heavy to run any viable distance on overnight charging batteries alone.
ron12

Post by ron12 »

They are testing this on the 601 bus route between Huntingdale station and Monash Uni. That's only a short route though but very frequent buses and heavily used during uni terms.
Last edited by ron12 on Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

ron12 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:41 pm Hi. I'm new to this forum and not involved with the bus industry so this is my opinion only, but I have an suggestion on how you could electrify a long suburban bus route such as the 901 from Frankston to Melbourne airport over a distance of around 115 Km.

Would this be viable?
I wouldn't go to the trouble.

The 901 is an enormously long route that should be split into at least 2 or 3 sections. It currently has sections that are under serviced while its semi-rural portion is over-serviced. There are also overlaps with other routes in sections and its frequency currently rarely harmonises with trains it is supposed to feed.

The main case where you may need to consider arrangements for long routes include examples like the (infrequent) 684 or V/Line coaches to places like South Gippsland.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ron12 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:30 pm They are testing this on the 601 bus route between Huntingdale station and Monash Uni. That's only a short route though but very frequent buses and heavily used during uni terms.
What are they testing on 601?
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

A recharger (like a petrol pump) has been installed at the 601 Monash Uni terminus so the electric bus can receive 2-3 minute recharges between trips. Seems like a silly way to do it when the overhead panto style works well in Europe but I guess ya gotta start somewhere. I was going to go there and have a look at it this week but have been bitten by the covid bug.
David Horowitz.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

1whoknows wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:25 am A recharger (like a petrol pump) has been installed at the 601 Monash Uni terminus so the electric bus can receive 2-3 minute recharges between trips. Seems like a silly way to do it when the overhead panto style works well in Europe but I guess ya gotta start somewhere. I was going to go there and have a look at it this week but have been bitten by the covid bug.
For a 12.5 metre battery-electric bus? That's not necessary, they should run all day on the overnight charge. Opportunity charging is typically only needed for artics and double deckers. What type of bus is being used on the route? I thought they were diesel artics.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I think I've answered my own question:

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... transition

So, looking at the timetable, I can see that the average battery electric bus currently operating in Australia should be able to comfortably run this operation all day on the overnight charge, without topping up. So, either they're being overly cautious, or there's some issue with the range of the Volvos. Given the intensity of the service, I'm surprised it's not run entirely by artics, like the very similar 333 Bondi service in Sydney. Battery rigid buses have very restricted passenger capacity (about 60 pax) because of their weight and it must be very costly to run so many buses when fewer artics would do the same job more comfortably.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:05 pm So, either they're being overly cautious, or there's some issue with the range of the Volvos.
Without knowing anything about the route in question, it's hard to say. Speaking hypothetically though, would an electric's range be severely compromised on very intensive stop/go routes where the opportunity for regenerative braking is quite limited because of low speed?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:34 pm Without knowing anything about the route in question, it's hard to say. Speaking hypothetically though, would an electric's range be severely compromised on very intensive stop/go routes where the opportunity for regenerative braking is quite limited because of low speed?
The route profile is very similar to the Blue Emu service at Sydney Airport which is run with BYD electrics that run all day to my knowledge. The route length is the same and both routes basically flat, with similar opportunities for accelerating and decelerating.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

The Monash Uni bus is CDC 186 a Volvo BZL. Its a short "no in between stops" run from Huntingdale Station - only 4-5 minutes each way. The run also has an artic and several 601 branded rigids - the latter increasingly sighted on other routes in recent times.
David Horowitz.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

First of 8, with 3 minute headways and a round trip time of 20 minutes, route 601 would have a peak requirement of 6-7 buses.

ComfortDelGro Australia Begins Electric Bus Trial in Melbourne
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

CONSULTATION OPEN: Victoria's transition to Zero Emissions Buses.
Feedback sought from bus operators.
Read the paper here. https://engage.vic.gov.au/ZEBtransition
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

PaxInfo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:06 am CONSULTATION OPEN: Victoria's transition to Zero Emissions Buses.
A good, comprehensive review, also digestible by the general public. Disappointed that it doesn't mention that Custom Denning manufactures a fully Australian electric bus. Volgren which is naturally given a bit of a pump there, being Victorian, only builds on imported chassis. I'm sure that Volgren could readily acquire the talent to build its own complete bus if it saw a business case for it.

I'd take the international figures with a grain of salt as most of the counts are done by battery bus manufacturers with their own interests at heart and ignore trolleybuses. It's silly to omit trolleybuses, as the figures for overall bus electrification would look much better, if that's the point they're trying to make. In Europe, trolleybuses outnumber battery buses by more than six to one. The other variable is that, in some jurisdictions, diesel-electric buses are included in the count, which I think is not in the spirit of the exercise.

Of course, in a promotional publication like this, downsides are never mentioned, the biggest one for battery buses being weight and its effect on passenger capacity. Now that we're getting battery buses approved and registered in Australia, we can see the significant loss of passenger capacity that comes with battery buses in jurisdictions under the NHVR. This affects the suitability of battery buses for heavy duty trunk route work. In Europe, battery buses are commonly able to be restricted to feeder routes because many cities also have large tram and/or trolleybus fleets to do the heavier work.

Melbourne is lucky to be in the same position with its good tram and rail networks. Other Australian cities will be in a more difficult position, which can only be solved by acquiring many more buses (and thus drivers!) to deliver high capacity. In Sydney, they're catching up, with the beginnings of significant metro and tram networks to augment heavy lifting capacity, but, unfortunately, a change of government may now put a damper on that. Another issue for Victoria to bear in mind in its current financial situation, is that electric buses are not cheap.
B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

Post by B10BLE »

PaxInfo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:06 am CONSULTATION OPEN: Victoria's transition to Zero Emissions Buses.
Would be interesting if a bus operator refused to take in electric buses. Like what would happen? Would they have their accreditation terminated, the government forcefully buy out the company or would they be stuck with ageing buses and aren't allowed to buy diesel buses or import them.
Contra la Luna
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

[News] Another step towards post 2025 Zero Emissions Bus franchises with organisations invited to pre-qualify.
7 competitively tendered franchises all up.
https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-eve ... ification/

Those with Tenders logins can learn more here: https://www.tenders.vic.gov.au/tender/view?id=255533
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

B10BLE wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:41 pm would they be stuck with ageing buses and aren't allowed to buy diesel buses or import them.
Sita's revenge. :lol:

(20-year-old split-windscreen CR221L rocks up) FULLY AIR CONDITIONED, ULTRA LOW FLOOR!!!

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”