2022 bus procurement

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

2022 bus procurement

Post by ZIB-585 »

It was announced today that Transport Canberra intends to lease the following buses in 2022, to replace the remaining Renault PR100.2s :

• 26 Scania K320UB (Bustech VST)
• 8 Yutong E12
• 4 Custom Denning Element

All buses are to be in service by the end of the year.

The next commitment is to purchase outright 90 electric buses (over 4 or 5 years).

Sent from my CPH2067 using Tapatalk

Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.
tonyp

Re: 2022 bus procurement

Post by tonyp »

https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/open_gove ... ons-future

Canberra’s first 12 electric buses to drive public transport towards a zero emissions future

Released 22/02/2022

The ACT Government has announced preferred suppliers for Canberra’s first 12 zero-emissions electric buses, with the final stage of procurement underway today to buy a further 90 electric buses.

“The first 12 battery electric buses combined with the purchase of a further 90 electric buses puts us well on the road to transition to a fully electric bus fleet by 2040 or earlier,” said Minister for Transport and City Services Chris Steel.

“We set out to lease and to put into operation eight battery electric buses by the end of the year but instead we’re leasing 12 and we’re in the process of buying a further 90.”

Following the ACT Government’s nation-leading action to achieve 100 per cent renewable electricity, transport now accounts for Canberra’s single largest source of emissions. Progressively transitioning to a zero emissions fleet is a practical step supporting Canberrans to take everyday action on climate change.

“These new electric buses will mean a cleaner, quieter and more comfortable ride while cutting emissions,” said Minister Steel.

“The ACT Government is on track to deliver practical, local action on climate change, creating new jobs as we deliver the infrastructure, skills and energy supply to support a fully zero emission bus fleet.”

In this first tranche, the Government’s preferred supplier is VDI Australia to lease eight Yutong E12 battery electric buses and associated charging equipment to operate from the Tuggeranong depot. This follows the successful trial of a Yutong E12 bus across Canberra’s bus network during 2020.

Custom Bus Group is the preferred supplier for another four Australian-made Custom Denning Element buses which use innovative solid-state batteries.

The ACT Government is also in negotiations with Scania Australia for short-term lease of 26 low-emission buses to immediately phase out the remaining 34 inaccessible and polluting Renault buses in the fleet this year. These will be replaced with the purchase of electric buses.

The Government has also opened the Request for Proposal to directly purchase a further 90 zero emission buses.

“We are delivering on our election commitment to buy a further 90 electric buses which will be housed at a new electric bus depot at Woden and existing depots,” said Minister Steel.

“Feasibility studies are also underway for a fourth electric depot on the Northside and retrofitting the Belconnen and Tuggeranong depots with electric charging infrastructure which will support our growing electric bus fleet.”

The registration process to participate in the tender for 90 battery electric buses is open until 8 March 2020, with the Request for Proposal from suppliers who successfully register commencing shortly thereafter.

Details of Preferred Suppliers

VDI Australia for the supply 8 of the Yutong E12.

Custom Bus Group for the supply 4 Custom Denning Element zero emission buses.

Scania Bustech for the supply of 26 K320UB Euro VI diesel buses.

Implementing a pathway for zero emissions public transport (including short-term leasing of buses to meet peak operational requirements) is a Parliamentary and Governing Agreement item and the commitment to purchase 90 electric buses is an ACT Labor election commitment.
The Custom Denning will be Canberra's first fully low-floor bus since the Agoraline.

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Apparently the contract has now been changed, 8 Yutongs will now be 12 and 4 CD Elements will not included as part of the trial.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

BAMBAM wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:17 am Apparently the contract has now been changed, 8 Yutongs will now be 12 and 4 CD Elements will not included as part of the trial.
I wonder what caused that? Well, Canberra is accustomed to high floor buses. I'll correct that photo. Now they get this:

e123.jpg
ZIB-585

Post by ZIB-585 »

tonyp wrote: I wonder what caused that?
At a guess, Custom ceased or suspended building new Elements? Or at the very least were unable to deliver in the desired time frame.

Maybe Custom need to look into being a body supplier for eBusco, if they are no longer offering the Element.

By the way, the local fitout of the Yutongs will be done by Custom Bus in Sydney.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ZIB-585 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:37 am
tonyp wrote: I wonder what caused that?
At a guess, Custom ceased or suspended building new Elements? Or at the very least were unable to deliver in the desired time frame.

Maybe Custom need to look into being a body supplier for eBusco, if they are no longer offering the Element.

By the way, the local fitout of the Yutongs will be done by Custom Bus in Sydney.

Elements are in full production, with deliveries proceeding as normal.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Some backlash on acquiring Chinese buses:

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... pportunity
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

AMWU killed themselves. They were told by government in 1998 that if they went ahead with Campaign 2000 wage rises that Oz would lose the car industry within 15 years. They went ahead, got the big rise and 20 years later.... no car industry. I wonder if they have succeeded in removing that bullet from their foot as yet?
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

While I'm of a similar opinion, I think the demise of local car manufacturing was inevitable, given lack of export markets, a small domestic market and the car-makers already producing some popular smaller models overseas (Camrys, Corollas). Unless we had gone back down the route of tariffs, like the US eventually did (Europe never did away with theirs, and pivoted towards luxury markets anyway), I can't have seen it ending any differently than it did. Although I'm surprised Ford particularly didn't try pushing its Falcon in the US, perhaps they were concerned it would erode market share from their popular Crown Victoria model?
ZIB-585

Post by ZIB-585 »

ZIB-585 wrote: • 26 Scania K320UB (Bustech VST)
• 8 Yutong E12

Come April 2023 (one year later) - we have 12 Yutongs and 3 BusTech Scanias. Zero Custom Dennings.

Tell me again how good Australian manufacturing is?

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ZIB-585 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:24 am
ZIB-585 wrote: • 26 Scania K320UB (Bustech VST)
• 8 Yutong E12

Come April 2023 (one year later) - we have 12 Yutongs and 3 BusTech Scanias. Zero Custom Dennings.

Tell me again how good Australian manufacturing is?

Nothing wrong with the quality, this was the component supply line problem last year. That's Canberra's loss.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Looks like the last high floor, non air-conditioned buses in regular service in Australia may live on until the end of 2024.

Renault buses to remain as fleet upgrade delayed again (ABC News)
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

A very bland report which utterly failed to acknowledge the charging issue with the Elements.
David Horowitz.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Whatever they get it must take bikes in my opinion.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Think the problem is being caused by late delivery of the stopgap Bustech bodied Scania K320s that should have all been in service by now.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

1whoknows wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:33 am A very bland report which utterly failed to acknowledge the charging issue with the Elements.
What, specifically, is "the charging issue with the Elements"?
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

From what I was told you can't charge an element on the same gear you charge a Yutong and that was not realised until.......
David Horowitz.
eddy

Post by eddy »

eddy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:11 am Whatever they get it must take bikes in my opinion.
They might be looking for something that takes bikes as all the roads and car parks are full there.

Trailerbus in your phone.
https://app.sketchup.com/share/tc/north ... source=web
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

1whoknows wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:22 am From what I was told you can't charge an element on the same gear you charge a Yutong and that was not realised until.......
:lol:
In spite of how crazy that sounds, I wouldn't discredit it after some of the other insanity ones hears of in the bus world!
eddy

Post by eddy »

Merc1107 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:10 pm
1whoknows wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:22 am From what I was told you can't charge an element on the same gear you charge a Yutong and that was not realised until.......
:lol:
In spite of how crazy that sounds, I wouldn't discredit it after some of the other insanity ones hears of in the bus world!
I was impressed by how much you know and wonder if you think the Trailerbus is crazy too.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Eddy, I have stated before that trailerbus, parrahub and the maglev, as entertaining as they may be, all belong in the fantasy section and that remains my opinion.
David Horowitz.

Return to “Discussion - Canberra / ACT”