ABC Article - Failure to Meet Disability Standards

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

ABC Article - Failure to Meet Disability Standards

Post by Merc1107 »

ABC News Article

Below a part of the article that would seem relevant to the frequent discussion on rolling stock layout that occurs here:
ABC News wrote:She says there are still issues with the trains themselves, especially with the Blue Mountains train line using an older fleet.

"It's not the most pleasant experience being stuck in the vestibule, in the way of everybody getting on and off the train, and sitting next to the toilet," she said.
tonyp

Re: ABC Article - Failure to Meet Disability Standards

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:59 pm ABC News Article

Below a part of the article that would seem relevant to the frequent discussion on rolling stock layout that occurs here:
ABC News wrote:She says there are still issues with the trains themselves, especially with the Blue Mountains train line using an older fleet.

"It's not the most pleasant experience being stuck in the vestibule, in the way of everybody getting on and off the train, and sitting next to the toilet," she said.
That's the V set, which was designed in the 1960s. Despite the poor accommodation once she's aboard, at least she is able to board via ramp. The Sydney and NSW legacy rail system is never going to be accessible at the platform/train interface except by the use of ramps. The Sydney metro, on the other hand, is fully accessible. I think Perth is the only other rail system that is fully accessible without the use of ramps, albeit some of it to pre 2002 standards.

The Melbourne tram system is a shambles. At least all the newer tram systems are accessible or pre 2002 standards accessible. Most Australian city buses are now accessible afaik. Bus stops are another matter, however, though Perth seems pretty good.

https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/dis ... 1673862412
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:10 pm I think Perth is the only other rail system that is fully accessible without the use of ramps, albeit some of it to pre 2002 standards.
The platforms themselves are generally okay (it's always a laugh when you hear the "Please mind the gap" announcement, what gap!?), although at some stations without lifts, I believe the access ramps are too steep for someone in a wheelchair to safely negotiate.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:28 pm
tonyp wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:10 pm I think Perth is the only other rail system that is fully accessible without the use of ramps, albeit some of it to pre 2002 standards.
The platforms themselves are generally okay (it's always a laugh when you hear the "Please mind the gap" announcement, what gap!?), although at some stations without lifts, I believe the access ramps are too steep for someone in a wheelchair to safely negotiate.
Those would be pre 2002 ramps. Similar issue in other states too.
eddy

Post by eddy »

At the risk of upsetting some may I suggest that if there is a single deck carriage in the middle of the DD train the guard can help disabled people with mobility scooters, electric assisted bikes and people who would like the security of being in the same carriage as the guard.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

eddy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:17 pm At the risk of upsetting some may I suggest that if there is a single deck carriage in the middle of the DD train the guard can help disabled people with mobility scooters, electric assisted bikes and people who would like the security of being in the same carriage as the guard.
Sydney suburban system is always going to need a staff member to deploy a ramp for such passengers to board and disembark. I presume it's the same situation in Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane. Sydney Metro and the Perth system are modern, compliant systems where such passengers can board and disembark themselves and staff are not needed for this purpose.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Macquarie Fields is the only station between Macarthur and Glenfield that wouldn’t pass the DDA standards as the overhead station footbridge is step access only

Return to “General Transport Discussion”