Why do some bus drivers have a problem with bus spotters?

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
kRC7

Why do some bus drivers have a problem with bus spotters?

Post by kRC7 »

I'm just curious as to why some bus drivers seem to have a problem with bus spotters while others wave and put peace signs up. Would anyone happen to know why at all?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Why do some bus drivers have a problem with bus spotters?

Post by boronia »

I think it is called "human nature".
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Some enthusiasts fail to appreciate that the majority of bus drivers are not enthusiastic about buses at all, and the job is simply a means to an end. Similarly, drivers don't necessarily appreciate that enthusiasts are by and large quite harmless.

Even though no one can expect privacy from cameras out in public, I suspect some find being photographed intimidating.

The types who hang around interchanges all day perhaps don't do themselves any favours either; I'm referring particularly to those who tend to get in the way, and go about shoving cameras in everyone's faces because they just HAVE to take photos and videos of things. This is particularly frustrating during things like rail shutdowns, when staff are fielding a dozen journey enquiries from flustered passengers concurrently, trying to run a service, work around mishaps and herd passengers who are increasingly distracted by 'devices'.

These nuisance types are likely just a minority who don't need abuse and threats, rather some gentle instruction on how to express their interest in buses without causing undue frustration for the people just trying to do their jobs.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

There are some who give enthusiasts a really bad name I have a couple jump out in front of my bus at night "FLASH" nearlly blinding you or your sitting at a set of traffic lights then jump in front of bus as lights go green you have to brake quick & have had a car run into the back of bus by me stopping quickly when a driver is sitting in his bus having a meal and gets someone banging on the door Would you like someone annoying you at the meal time a lot of the times a poor old driving is running late due to heavy traffic & they have cut his meal short. Also some drivers DO NOT LIKE their picture taken if he is at the wheel ask would he mind you taking a pic & give him a chance to leave the drivers seat & if they say no they can have you up for harresment it works both ways! It works both ways somebody taking bus pics have taken a pic of a accident with a bus were the drives in the right!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Merc1107 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:11 pm Even though no one can expect privacy from cameras out in public, I suspect some find being photographed intimidating.
That is understandable however that's the tradeoff whether you realistically both like & or accept it or not. I'm not saying I don't accept what your saying rather I'm pointing out this is just something that may occur the moment you step foot outside and enter the public spaces sphere, you could be photographed, legally you don't have a leg to stand in this instance unless their using you for commercial gain in which case a model release statement would be needed.
Merc1107 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:11 pm Some enthusiasts fail to appreciate that the majority of bus drivers are not enthusiastic about buses at all, and the job is simply a means to an end. Similarly, drivers don't necessarily appreciate that enthusiasts are by and large quite harmless.

The types who hang around interchanges all day perhaps don't do themselves any favours either; I'm referring particularly to those who tend to get in the way, and go about shoving cameras in everyone's faces because they just HAVE to take photos and videos of things. This is particularly frustrating during things like rail shutdowns, when staff are fielding a dozen journey enquiries from flustered passengers concurrently, trying to run a service, work around mishaps and herd passengers who are increasingly distracted by 'devices'.
This is generally why I also have my "out of the way spots", I'm familiar with my town and even as a landscape photographer on the side (Transport isn't just what I always do) I can easily pick out some much nicer spots to photograph from that have so little foot traffic getting in the way isn't a problem. There's really no reason to be getting in the way of Transport operators, commuters, staff etc @ the interchange, pick a nicer spot a little further out and you'll have a wonderful time bus spotting.

I have been to numerous places, bus spotted in Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle, Blue Mountains etc there's only been a small handful of instances drivers have approached me in an unprofessional manner in regards to my activity, that is where I'll bite back and tell them to in a polite-ish manner to stick it (Where as if you just casually ask what I'm doing, say you wish not to be photographed, I'll respect your wishes and we can both move on, I can also offer to blur faces and will do so if accepted, It's not the driver I'm photographing, it's their machine but on the other hand from the drivers prospective it's understandable they wouldn't know what I'm exactly photographing). 95% of the buses I've photographed drivers don't engage with me or instead smile and make nice gestures like peace sign, waving, smiling etc.
captainch wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:30 pm Also some drivers DO NOT LIKE their picture taken if he is at the wheel ask would he mind you taking a pic & give him a chance to leave the drivers seat & if they say no they can have you up for harresment it works both ways!
I see where your coming from and I'm no law expert but I'm not sure in this case if it's really harassment if you just take a photo or two in a public space even if they say no, I think you'd have to really be pushing it more aggressively for it to then be considered harassments (say like following the driver or intimidating them) Police aren't exactly going to be coming to the drivers rescue just because they cried that someone took a measly two photos of their vehicle, they've got bigger issues to catch. The driver may report it to their OCC as a broadcast warning but still I don't figure much will come of it.

in general, bus enthusiasts just want a quick photo opptunity of the subject, the bus, 98% of photographers most likely just go to one particular spot on a given day their bus that their after is running, photograph it and move on.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
captainch

Post by captainch »

Having been in the bus industry for 50 years as a conductor/driver revenue inspector had seen FEMALE drivers go on stress leave that people were taking pics of them one who was being harressed by her ex thought he had sent him. its 2022 not the world of long ago yes some have done it just to get a couple of days off just goes to show how we live. I had a female report me as she said she was being harresed for the 2 of us inspecting her bus....................................Best thing was she was rorting the system she took us to court. So I did my job .had very little to do with staff unless it was old hands its sad sad world.
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
captainch

Post by captainch »

My final word on the subject We had a young female driver who was in a bad abusive relationship she was having problems with a person taking pics of her on duty it went on for months police were involved it finished up the person was charged & court ordered to stay away from that interchange it worked for a month then was at it again he was sent to prison for stalking she gave up her job as she was tramatised she would allways stop for pics ect before that but goes to show what can happen ok I'm 80 but feel some people are now thinking their "ENTITLED" the world owes them a living & those that know me know I was no oil painting in 50 years on the job but kew how not to antargise people NO means NO.!

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”