AEC 531 A Regal Mark III bus

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Re: AEC 531 A Regal Mark III bus

Post by Guy_Arab »

PERHAPS I MAY HELP I CHECK WITH OUR BUS MUSEUM AFTER THE NEW YEAR SEE IF THEY HAVE WHAT YOU WANT THEY HAVE LARGE COLLECTION OF BUSES
GUY ARAB
proftca

Post by proftca »

Administrators, or any Moderators please delete
AEC 531
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Regal mark III bus

Post by AEC 531 »

Hi All,

My signal to write the reflection of progress made over that last year is triggered by the Christmas decorations being set up in the streets of Ballarat, my home town. Each year I have attempted to publish this reflection in the first week of December. Sometimes I am successful, other times I have failed dismally.

I must say that this year has been a real struggle, while we have finally turned the corner having reached the half way point in the restoration it now feels like we are starting to put more pieces back on the bus rather than taking them off. Do not be confused, we are still removing panels as we reach the end of the passenger saloon work and start our way around the engine bonnet, moving around the drivers cab, and returning back to where we started at the back of the drivers cab on the off side.

Without a doubt this is the hardest part of the restoration, the front of the bus presents directly to the weather and the decay in the buses framework in this area is substantial. Also the panels are mostly welded in position to enable the frame to have a margin of rigidity. This did not stop the fatigue cracking that was discovered around the front passenger entrance doorway, where severe cracking was found. As we removed the outer panels around the front passenger entrance doorway we found that it was only these that was holding the frame work in place, one complete frame section came away with the outer sheet metal skin, a very undesirable condition. We are analyzing the root cause of this problem currently seeking a solution that will prevent a reoccurrence.

Over the past year we have overhauled the radiator assembly, converting it from a single mechanically driven cooling fan without a radiator shroud, to electric thermostatically controlled cooling fans. This was done to hopefully elevate the potential for these buses boiling during the summer months while we are operating our heritage tours. The radiator assembly is now in storage awaiting the fitting back to the bus. The internal surfaces of the steel pipes that carry the raw water to and from the radiator to the engine were severely rusted internally, these have been out to a workshop where replacements were mandrel bent in two inch stainless steel pipe, while expensive, these new pipes will not degrade internally, we are also intending to run a coolant instead of raw water to limit the ability of the bus to boil in our heritage service. Also we have removed and rebuilt the rear passenger entrance step assembly, fitting new wood with the old aluminium treads being renovated and then sunk into each of the wooden steps to reduce the trip hazard while maintaining the non-slip attributes of the aluminium treads. At the same time we have also lit up each step to make using the bus safer from a heritage standpoint. We have also overhauled the rear differential, then moved up the drive line replacing all five universal assemblies as these were showing heavy signs of fatigue and heavy needle roller brinelling on the drive journals of the universal yokes, on removal it was thought that we may have not even achieved a season of heritage tours out of them before they failed. We have arranged the manufacture of new brake cylinder seals and replaced all the brake cylinder seals both front and rear. We also had to replace from our stock, a replacement rear brake cylinder as the old one was severely worn, with the new brake cylinder seals installed the improvement in brake effort was substantial.

While we have four teams of two people working on different aspects of the restoration it takes an enormous amount of time to put everything back in working order assembling all the things in their correct order which were removed during the restoration to progress, ensuring they fit correctly and are properly secured for continued service. There is still quite an amount of work required to bring AEC 560 back into heritage service, While we are hoping that 2023 will be a good year for us, we will have to see how things progress next year, we are hoping to be in a much better place at the end of next year, but we will have to wait and see.

If you would like to receive a weekly update video each Monday on the restoration progress of AEC 560 you could choose to join us on our Patreon Channel, this is a subscription-based service. It raises funds for our restoration projects. It charges our Patrons as a minimum, approximately $5.50 AUD per month, this equates to $66.00 over the year, although, we have been very fortunate as quite a few of our Patrons have elected to support us at a higher figure. In return for this financial contribution they have access to all the videos posted from 2018 which showcase our activities we carry out each week at the DERMPAV depot. Each Monday they also receive the weekly update video which brings them up to date on the previous week’s activities. Through this media they are able to follow along with the progress we make each week on AEC 560. Although the subscription needs to be paid each month, it would be a Christmas Present that will endure all the way through 2023.

If you are interested, you can become a Patron by clicking on the Link provided here, https://www.patreon.com/user?u=14209441 Then clicking on the orange, Become a Patron Button and following the prompts. Once you have completed this, you will unlock and have access to approximately 250 videos on the restoration of AEC 560. It is appropriate here to acknowledge our Patrons. DERMPAV extends its sincerest thanks to those that have come on board early in the piece and have continued to provide the financial support that we receive through our Patreon Channel, this support is greatly appreciated. As I said last year, we hope the videos are both instructive and informative and keep them abreast of the happenings surrounding AEC 560 and its potential return to heritage service. For our existing Patrons, this post will be superfluous, as the weekly videos, posted each Monday take them more deeply into the restoration of AEC 560 than is represented here. This report only touches on the highlights of the 2022 year.

Before I close, and I think I should, I would like to thank all those DERMPAV members that are active in the bus restoration achieving the progress that we have this year. I would also like to thank all our Patrons who over this year have continually tuned in to watch the weekly update videos and along the way have contributed financially to our organisation. Finally, I would also like to extend my thanks to all of you people that come back each year and tune in to see what is happening with AEC 560.

If you would like to become involved with DERMPAV as an active member and be involved with the restoration of AEC 560 then please let us know you are interested, we can be contacted at info@dermpav.net.au we will then drop you a line letting you know our working days of DERMPAV, so you can come along.

Well that is it from me for now, I will see you next year in the next post, unless you become a DERMPAV patron through our Patreon channel or decide to become active with us restoring the bus. As always, feel free to comment if you want, we like to receive your comments and read what you are thinking, or what you think of our restoration project, you can ask questions, share your thoughts on our project, offer constructive ideas, or offer us festive season greetings. It really is up to you. We just like to hear from all of you, those that sit each year and catch up with what is going on in the restoration of AEC 560. As I have already said, feel free to leave a comment, but it is up to you!

My how time goes quickly, another year has passed since my last post! Christmas is a marvellous time. A time for family gatherings and catching up with good friends, then all too soon Christmas is over and we are celebrating and welcoming in the New Year, and then we are off again!
So on behalf of DERMPAV, I would like to extend our sincerest best wishes for the coming festive season to yourself and your family. We hope you stay safe and we look forward to you joining us next year.

Here is the link to the slideshow of our photos that accompany this report, https://youtu.be/INiFnlhMch0 please enjoy the video of the photos and the explanations! See you all next year!

Regards
Colin Kelly
Secretary
DERMPAV

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”