NSW Bus Observations 2022.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Campbelltown busboy

Re: NSW Bus Observations 2022.

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:59 pm On the return journey I get on this red B12BLEA Werth suspension that kept bottoming out and hurting my back.
I think I know what area of operations these private contractors are preserving their narrow profit margins.
The City Of Sydney council would have been partly to blame for that uncomfortable trip you had on that articulated bus
Nat

Post by Nat »

Swift wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:59 pm Standards of maintainance have fallen since STA is no more. A Scania L113 I caught I caught along Broadway had that most horrible idle shaking the bus body. A passenger was overheard saying this old bus should be scrapped.
On the return journey I get on this red B12BLEA Werth suspension that kept bottoming out and hurting my back.
I think I know what area of operations these private contractors are preserving their narrow profit margins.
Several complaints via the transport NSW feedback page highlighting the dangers to passengers, workplace safety, and liability and compensation claims tends to get things fixed.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:58 am
Swift wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:59 pm On the return journey I get on this red B12BLEA Werth suspension that kept bottoming out and hurting my back.
The City Of Sydney council would have been partly to blame for that uncomfortable trip you had on that articulated bus
I've ridden these extensively enough to know something was drastically wrong with the suspension on the centre axle. It was bottoming out way too easily and it could injure someone, not to mention the strain on the bodywork. I experienced this bottoming of the suspension at least five times in a five minute ride.
Imagine sitting on a hard seat in a box with no give and someone dropping it a foot to the ground. That's something what it felt like. But oi hey privatisation works wonders for service delivery as shown here.
Nat wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:02 pm Several complaints via the transport NSW feedback page highlighting the dangers to passengers, workplace safety, and liability and compensation claims tends to get things fixed.
I don't know why I didn't note the bus numbers, but to experience two crook buses in a row on my two short trips along Parramatta Rd gives some indication of how SYDNEY'S version of private contracting out of running government buses is going.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:25 pm I don't know why I didn't note the bus numbers, but to experience two crook buses in a row on my two short trips along Parramatta Rd gives some indication of how SYDNEY'S version of private contracting out of running government buses is going.
Even if the contractors are being properly monitored for compliance, unfortunately the blame always seems to land with the troops in the trenches, not the bean-counters and managers who have never rode a bus, never driven a bus, nor had any prior experience in the bus industry whose procedures and regulations are usually the reason things are not as they should be!
Swift

Post by Swift »

It's the ones above who I consider the worthless bludgers at fault, who get payed exorbitant amounts because they have a university piece of toilet paper on their o(ro)ffice wall ,while those who actually do something productive day to day get into trouble for the failings of these tyrants in the office who cause it all.
Linto63

Re: NSW Bus Observations 2022

Post by Linto63 »

A week long rail replacement on the T1 between North Sydney and Gordon and M1 between Chatswood and North Ryde commenced today. Unusually the T1 service was exclusively being operated by charter operators, North Sydney Bus Charters being the most predominant, with no sign of any TfNSW operators. Usually buses from Punchbowl and Transdev feature heavily on T1 replacements, although they may be otherwise engaged with a T3 shutdown also operating this week. Region 7 operator Busways is presumably continuing its long held stance of not getting involved in rail replacement work.

Coaches are great for long distance services, but aren't really appropriate for trips with high turnover with their single doors and high floors. Yet that is what was the dominant vehicle out today, even on all stops services. One would have hoped TfNSW would have learnt from the shambles that occurred during a similar shutdown in January 2019, but drivers were commenting to marshals that tomorrow would be bedlam, so perhaps it hasn't been resourced properly. Time will tell.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Is there an age limit on buses used for rail?
Should think there is a reasonable number of early low floor route buses, or even high floors available somewhere around Sydney to facilitate rail replacement.

What is done in the event of a disabled person arriving - are they put on a cab, or have to wait out a low floor?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Notice that Maianbar Bundeena Bus Service that had 2 buses at the beginning of the year, has taken on 15 vehicles (largely 25-30 years old) this year on National Heavy Vehicle plates. Presumably a new contract?
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:30 pm Is there an age limit on buses used for rail?
Should think there is a reasonable number of early low floor route buses, or even high floors available somewhere around Sydney to facilitate rail replacement.

What is done in the event of a disabled person arriving - are they put on a cab, or have to wait out a low floor?
Back in August of this year I witnessed an 30 year old Volvo B12R coach operating rail replacement runs but the trade off was that it's registration renewal was literally just around the corner at the time and when it came up the following week it was of course not renewed and put up for sale. Hunter lines rail replacement just get standard CDC vehicles still low in age (10-15 years average, less if they chuck an optimus on). CCN replacements average age I tend to estimate around 15-17 years of age, most vehicles now from 2003 or above but some 1998 aged vehicles do appear.

I've been on numerous high-floors during trackwork, in the event a wheelchair pax wants to use a bus, the driver of the highfloor bus will usually radio one of the replacement marshalls for a standby bus (usually low entry) to come and take the wheelchair passenger onboard, I've seen CDC pull out a full length Volvo B7RLE standby bus just for a sole wheelchair pax before, our highfloors buses aren't equipped with rear accessible doors with onboard ramps so this is the next easiest alternative otherwise wait for the next bus and hope they scheduled it to be a low entry.

Long distance coaches now have a rear door that can be opened that has ramp lift housing underneath it that can be pulled out and controlled by some remote controller so this is the other alternative.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Merc1107 wrote: Is there an age limit on buses used for rail?
No, the 26 year maximum age limit for route service buses doesn't apply.
Merc1107 wrote: Should think there is a reasonable number of early low floor route buses, or even high floors available somewhere around Sydney to facilitate rail replacement.
Unlikely, while there are some low floors in charter fleets, would be nowhere near enough for the 100+ buses required for a shutdown of this size.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Even excluding these shutdowns, we have a driver shortage. Many emergency requests for rail are ending up with limited to no replacements, so with these shutdowns taking away so much excess, there will be practically nothing to cover for any big disruptions, you know they will end up taking away from Peter (T1/T3) for Paul.

That is evident with the reports of high floors all over the T1 operations.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Busways 5010 has entered service first of the Custom Elements back in Service. It had previously been unused since it was built. It's currently on the 770 heading to Mount Druitt.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Linto63 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:58 pm A week long rail replacement on the T1 between North Sydney and Gordon and M1 between Chatswood and North Ryde commenced today. Unusually the T1 service was exclusively being operated by charter operators, North Sydney Bus Charters being the most predominant, with no sign of any TfNSW operators. Usually buses from Punchbowl and Transdev feature heavily on T1 replacements, although they may be otherwise engaged with a T3 shutdown also operating this week. Region 7 operator Busways is presumably continuing its long held stance of not getting involved in rail replacement work.

Coaches are great for long distance services, but aren't really appropriate for trips with high turnover with their single doors and high floors. Yet that is what was the dominant vehicle out today, even on all stops services. One would have hoped TfNSW would have learnt from the shambles that occurred during a similar shutdown in January 2019, but drivers were commenting to marshals that tomorrow would be bedlam, so perhaps it hasn't been resourced properly. Time will tell.
I did see this yesterday (Monday) and it was surprising, although this morning I did see a Transit Systems R3 and a CDC Hillsbus vehicle both doing rail replacement heading north on the Pacific Highway at St Leonards.
That said, I didn't see any other TfNSW operator buses in my travels today on rail replacement so no idea how this is working (or not).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Stu

Post by Stu »

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:39 am
Fleet Lists wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:28 am It is also noted that route 7 appears to be fully operated by Punchbowl Bus Co and no longer shared with Transit Systems.
Could it be a possibility that TSA might be only contracted to co-run ORTA 7 with Punchbowl on the weekdays? During the easter show they would be running during the weekdays while weekends is Punchbowl only. So since the NRL Grand Final is on a Sunday it's a Punchbowl-only operation.
The route 7 contracted to PBC who sub-contract to TSA during a big event such as the Easter Show or events at Sydney Olympic Park that coincide with a major rail shutdown on the T2, T3 or T4 of which PBC is the lead contractor.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Stu wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:11 pm
The route 7 contracted to PBC who sub-contract to TSA during a big event such as the Easter Show or events at Sydney Olympic Park that coincide with a major rail shutdown on the T2, T3 or T4 of which PBC is the lead contractor.
Yeah thanks; I already know about that. I was actually responding in part to Fleet Lists’ post regarding the NRL Grand Final ORTA, which had nearly nothing to do with the Banko trackwork. (Even during the aforementioned show when there was I’m pretty sure hardly anything else going on, TSA were only subcontracted for weekdays and not weekends or Public holidays)
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

pgt wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:05 pm
Linto63 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:58 pm A week long rail replacement on the T1 between North Sydney and Gordon and M1 between Chatswood and North Ryde commenced today. Unusually the T1 service was exclusively being operated by charter operators, North Sydney Bus Charters being the most predominant, with no sign of any TfNSW operators. Usually buses from Punchbowl and Transdev feature heavily on T1 replacements, although they may be otherwise engaged with a T3 shutdown also operating this week. Region 7 operator Busways is presumably continuing its long held stance of not getting involved in rail replacement work.

I did see this yesterday (Monday) and it was surprising, although this morning I did see a Transit Systems R3 and a CDC Hillsbus vehicle both doing rail replacement heading north on the Pacific Highway at St Leonards.
That said, I didn't see any other TfNSW operator buses in my travels today on rail replacement so no idea how this is working (or not).
Correction to my earlier post - it seems what I thought was a CDC Hillsbus vehicle was in fact one of the ex-Westbus buses still in canary yellow but operating with Transit Systems R3 (1238), having seen more of their buses today on rail replacement on the north shore line.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

Check this Toyota Coaster out Id 1299788879 on Gumtree,i guess be ok if it was FREE
Stu

Post by Stu »

During the previous week, a small number of Custom Denning Element units have arrived to the former STA AMD site at Leichhardt. One arrived on Wednesday and two more arrived on Thursday. The units have no registration plates, no TfNSW / operator decals and no fleet numbers.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Mots likely the first of Transit Systems' order for 79.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Can confirm that the Custom Denning Elements at former AMD are for TSA. They will be parked there in hibernation mode until such time they can be accomodated in service. There are more to come in the coming weeks and months.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Swift

Post by Swift »

LB608 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:46 am Check this Toyota Coaster out Id 1299788879 on Gumtree,i guess be ok if it was FREE
We are talking about a dealer out in Penrith. It looks like it's ready for the scrap yard. Who knows how it's been treated by it's drivers and been maintained. The body condition provides a clue.
It should be cubed and shipped back to Japan.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Busman69 wrote: Buslines have recently purchased Rover Motors from Aaron Lewis (Government contracts and contracted vehicles) but Lewis will continue to own and operate Rover Coaches (Charter operation)
Unless there is a delayed settlement, doesn't appeared to have happened, vehicles, both route and charter, retain the existing accreditation details and no activity for the company on ASIC's website where a change of directors would need to be reported.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Purchasing a contract or line of business isn't the purchase of a company. There would be no need for any ASIC updates.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

So far there is nothing on either the Rover or Buslines websites. Buslines are usually quite quick in adding any additional operations to their website so until that appear I would not take it as a 100% fact that this has occurred.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

jpp42 wrote: Purchasing a contract or line of business isn't the purchase of a company. There would be no need for any ASIC updates.
Businesses can be purchased two ways, either by purchasing the existing legal entity as a going concern, or transferring the assets and liabilities to a new entity. The former is the usual method, as it avoids having to redo every contract. Examples are Forest Coach Lines, Telford's and Ulladulla Bus Lines where the legal entities were established long before CDC, Kinetic and Buslines purchased.

If there were a new legal entity, then a new accreditation would need to be obtained from TfNSW. That vehicles retain Rover Motors Pty Ltd accreditation and there are no changes lodged with ASIC for that entity, points to nothing having happened.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”