Ferry Observations for 2022,

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Ferry Observations for 2022

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:14 am So when the SMH report something it is sensationalising or with an agenda yet when News Corp run stories like More than 20 cracks found in new Manly to Circular Quay ferry and Waratah trains still bugged by problems that is responsible journalism?

Many transport items that go on to have successful careers have teething problems and rather public failures, doesn't mean they aren't newsworthy much as the government of the day would prefer they were swept under the carpet.
Yes, News Corp can be just as critical, but in a constructive wider context. For example, they picked up all the issues with introduction of light rail, but supported positively the initiative to return trams in general. The Herald never concedes anything positive, peddling only constant narky critiques, thus joining the partisans who work on bringing down governments by constantly parading negatives in front of media/social media readerships. I've said before that the government doesn't do enough to counter this and I hope it gets its act together before the election. It doesn't help, though, when you have the whole of the MSM, bar one peddling only negative news.
Bus 400

Re: Ferry Observations for 2022,

Post by Bus 400 »

We are getting off topic here. But we know full well, if this was a Labor Government, The Daily Telegraph would be reporting the exact same way. Splashing across their front page & a 3 page article in their community papers about these ferries, NIF, buses, Metro delays, train strikes, what the Transport Minister had for dinner, etc.
Both sides have their media, manipulating the public to believe their story.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Back to Ferry observations from here - political discussion closed.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Was under the impression that the River class ferries were meant to replace the RiverCats as well as provide a bit more capacity, this article would suggest otherwise with TfNSW having requested permission to purchase seven more ferries this year.

Sydney ferry purchases delayed despite warnings of service disruption (Sydney Morning Herald)
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

I agree the article is confusing; the seven Rivercats have for a long time been nowhere near enough for the River service, hence the long-term use of at least 2-3 chartered vessels. But since the initial River class purchase was 10 ferries (how many have actually been commissioned?), that seemed to have covered the need... a further seven is a pretty huge expansion. Confusingly, they've actually started decommissioning SuperCats first instead of Rivercats, even though their decommission was never mentioned as part of the River Class procurement. Perhaps the reallocation caused by this is what is actually this expansion. (From what I've seen, First Fleet or Emerald are now more likely to be seen on former Supercat routes like Rose Bay, with River class sometimes seen on the F8 route previously served by First Fleet.) Also, while most First Fleeters have received several life-extensions with new engines, they are actually the oldest ferries in service along with Freshwater, and presumably will need to be retired by the end of this decade. (It seems the oldest one, Supply may have been quietly mothballed already, though I don't have updated info there.)

There was a recommendation a while ago that the upper Parramatta River should be served by a smaller class that would cause less wash and hence less damage to the mangroves along the banks. This could potentially also avoid the furore around low bridges and closed upper decks. But that doesn't seem to actually have been considered in recent procurement, I guess because they don't want to give up a one-seat ride to the city.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

jpp42 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:23 pm I agree the article is confusing; the seven Rivercats have for a long time been nowhere near enough for the River service, hence the long-term use of at least 2-3 chartered vessels. But since the initial River class purchase was 10 ferries (how many have actually been commissioned?), that seemed to have covered the need... a further seven is a pretty huge expansion. Confusingly, they've actually started decommissioning SuperCats first instead of Rivercats, even though their decommission was never mentioned as part of the River Class procurement. Perhaps the reallocation caused by this is what is actually this expansion. (From what I've seen, First Fleet or Emerald are now more likely to be seen on former Supercat routes like Rose Bay, with River class sometimes seen on the F8 route previously served by First Fleet.) Also, while most First Fleeters have received several life-extensions with new engines, they are actually the oldest ferries in service along with Freshwater, and presumably will need to be retired by the end of this decade. (It seems the oldest one, Supply may have been quietly mothballed already, though I don't have updated info there.)

There was a recommendation a while ago that the upper Parramatta River should be served by a smaller class that would cause less wash and hence less damage to the mangroves along the banks. This could potentially also avoid the furore around low bridges and closed upper decks. But that doesn't seem to actually have been considered in recent procurement, I guess because they don't want to give up a one-seat ride to the city.
Don't be misled by the name "River Class". They were planned to be one-to-one replacement of four SuperCats, two HarbourCats and four charter vessels.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/duc ... 55o61.html
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I was asking some of the staff at CQ about the River ferries the other day. They were confused about the name, until they explained they were known internally as "24 metre type".

They have lesser capacity than the existing Cats, so perhaps they are looking at improved frequencies to maintain the overall line capacity levels?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Interesting that they are emphasising the 24metre length - I wonder if they are actually 23.9m or so, so that they can be crewed by a Master <24m (Master 5), which saves money over the next level up, Master <35m (Master 4), which is necessary for the Supercats / Rivercats. A large number of vessels on the harbour are 23.9m in length for this reason.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

According to Vessel Finder, 25 metres long, although not sure of how much reliance can be placed in this. The safety diagram drawn up by a maritime architect that each vessel usually has attached to the bulkhead should give exact dimensions.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Fears problem-plagued Manly ferries will be out of service for weeks (Sydney Morning Herald)

Confirms that the Australian Maritime Safety Authority issued the grounding order
Glen

Post by Glen »

Tonight, and also Wednesday two weeks ago, I've tried to catch the PM peak Parramatta 'shuttle' ferry, only to find it replaced by three taxis, unrelated to tides.

Does anyone know why?
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Something on twitter about Mechanical repairs to the ferry.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Ah thanks.

Tonight on the last trip to Parramatta I was the only passenger.

Alas I did not get to experience being outnumbered by the ferry crew, although I did once on the first morning boat from Parramatta some years ago.

Back then the crew told me "we don't normally get anyone on this trip".
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Glen wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:20 pm Tonight on the last trip to Parramatta I was the only passenger.
Weekends are still very popular - the express boats are full and even the all-stops had about 30-40 riding all the way to Parramatta this past Sunday, despite it taking nearly 1.5 hours from CQ.

I see that the Parramatta River timetable has that oddity on weekday evenings where you have to change at Rydalmere for the final segment up the river to Parramatta wharf. When I took this a few years ago, the service that took you further up the wharf "rafted up" to the prior service to allow both Rivercats to be berthed at Rydalmere at once, which only has one wharf face. I thought it was a bit comical. Hopefully they can start changing these runs into the "River class" ferries, due to their somewhat smaller size being more fit for purpose for the upper river. However I have yet to see a River class actually run past Olympic Park - are they still worried about the upper deck safety issue?

Also, observations last Sunday afternoon are that nearly all runs that didn't continue past Olympic Park were operated by the River Class. There appeared to be quite a few Rivercats unused at Mort Bay.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Last night I caught a River class to Rydalmere.

The only danger that far being on the top deck was the wind (yesterday)!
Nat

Post by Nat »

jpp42 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:11 pm
Glen wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:20 pm Tonight on the last trip to Parramatta I was the only passenger.
Weekends are still very popular - the express boats are full and even the all-stops had about 30-40 riding all the way to Parramatta this past Sunday, despite it taking nearly 1.5 hours from CQ.

Also, observations last Sunday afternoon are that nearly all runs that didn't continue past Olympic Park were operated by the River Class. There appeared to be quite a few Rivercats unused at Mort Bay.

The new boats have a lower passenger capacity than the Rivercat, and frequently leave people behind at wharves, yet the greedy Transdev leave Rivercats sitting idle.....
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

They are not going to run older stock at the expense of newer stock, not going to happen.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Anne Sargent (Rivercat?) was sitting behind the Rydges Hotel in Newcastle west yesterday, there was a video uploaded to youtube a week ago showing it moored there. I'm not too knowledgeable on boats but as far as I know Anne has been retired?

The photo is mine by the way, taken yesterday morning, the destination sign just simply displays "Out of service".
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I think 2 or 3 of these Rivercats have been retired as the new River class 24 metre cats come on line.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Thank you, another question on the matter since you'd be more on the ball with ferries than as I've already mentioned but why is the Port of Newcastle being used to Moore retried ferries and say not somewhere in Sydney?

this is a genuine question, there is a previous withdrawn Sydney Ferry that according to google streetview was still docked at Carrington in June of 2022 this year (I'd imagine still there). Is the state or whoever is in control of the ferries looking for new owners or at this point salvaging them for eventual scrap?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I'm sorry I'm not aware of why that is.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Probably not much suitable mooring space left in Sydney?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Here is a photo I took of it in 2013 arriving in Parramatta.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/193972346 ... 516274580/
Living in the Shire.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

boronia wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:04 am Probably not much suitable mooring space left in Sydney?
Exactly - Sydney has very little space that isn't taken up by expensive waterfront housing or marinas for yachts. The "working harbour" continues to shrink. Newcastle is within a relatively easy reach of Sydney - can be reached in one day so doesn't require extensive voyage preparation, so makes sense for laid up vessels to be positioned there. Newcastle is seeing some gentrification for sure, but still has a lot more options with a lot of general wharves available. Similarly, the ex-Sea Shepherd vessel Steve Irwin, formerly in Williamstown in Melbourne, has found a home in Newcastle.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”