The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by Merc1107 »

I certainly notice the interior reflections; it's a constant battle trying to spot passengers at night through the reflections when they insist on wearing entirely black attire. This is not helped by the pathetic LED headlights and their blueish hue that are becoming more and more commonplace (shining dark blue light on a dark area, gee, which moron dreamed that one up!?), although paradoxically these lights are quite good at dazzling you when you're approaching a bus so-equipped.

Am very envious of those drivers who drive ex. Perth Volgren CR225L bodied buses, as those buses' headlights were absolutely brilliant at night compared to practically anything newer - high beam with a great spread, same too of the effective low beams. Compare that with newer types where high beam yields a laughable spot of light in the centre of the road, just a few metres in front... what a joke.
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

Are the front axles on track buses lower than non-track buses? I’ve seen a fair few track artics running around the place and appear to be knelt while driving.
Darwin bus lover
Favourite Vehicle: Merc O500LE Volgren Optimus

Post by Darwin bus lover »

Not sure if this is the right thread but seems that since the mask mandate was dropped the roping off off front seats has stopped. Both Southlink buses I’ve been on today, something and 3220 had them removed and a couple of Torrens have had passengers in the front too.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Darwin bus lover wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:56 pm Not sure if this is the right thread but seems that since the mask mandate was dropped the roping off off front seats has stopped. Both Southlink buses I’ve been on today, something and 3220 had them removed and a couple of Torrens have had passengers in the front too.
Yes, all the chains were removed after the mask mandate was lifted
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

And the large “don’t board if you’re feeling unwell” stickers (on the glass of doors and on the bodywork near doors) are in the process of being removed after adorning buses for over 2 years.
SBD

Post by SBD »

TT wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:42 am And the large “don’t board if you’re feeling unwell” stickers (on the glass of doors and on the bodywork near doors) are in the process of being removed after adorning buses for over 2 years.
These changes make me wonder what inputs were provided to the "modelling" that shows another wave of disease in November. It shouldn't be seen as a goal to be met!
otto5013
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB -Custom CB80 s.2

Post by otto5013 »

old 820,821,822 routes?
That's the way the whole thing started, silly but it's true ...
otto5013

Post by otto5013 »

Does anyone know where the 820, 821 and 822 went before the opening of the Heysen Tunnels?
Lt. Commander Data

820 - City to Aldgate via Greenhill Road, Rangeview Dr, and Piccadilly
821 - City to Aldgate via The Parade, Greenhill Road, Rangeview Dr, and Piccadilly
822 - City to Aldgate via Greenhill Road, Cleland Wildlife Park, Rangeview Dr, and Piccadilly
Note there were various short workings to Stirling with “S” suffixes, and also “F” buses with a first set down of 14A (I think)

From memory, the Heysen Tunnels had little effect on the Greenhill Road routes until the 823 (same as now) replaced the 822.
otto5013

Post by otto5013 »

Thanks for that - above. My old wall map of 20? years ago showed the 822 dropping into the Wildlife Park. So it seemed that nothing went to Lofty till the 823.

Buses wound their way up the Mt Barker Rd to ... Barker, or Bridgewater?, as with the train back then. Perhaps Lobethal too .

Today the system has three points : Gawler, Sellicks and Mt Barker, each with side trips in their own vicinities. Two with rail options and maybe one day for Mt Barker too and further growth from those three points available.
Lt. Commander Data

otto5013 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:21 pm Thanks for that - above. My old wall map of 20? years ago showed the 822 dropping into the Wildlife Park. So it seemed that nothing went to Lofty till the 823.

Buses wound their way up the Mt Barker Rd to ... Barker, or Bridgewater?, as with the train back then. Perhaps Lobethal too .

Today the system has three points : Gawler, Sellicks and Mt Barker, each with side trips in their own vicinities. Two with rail options and maybe one day for Mt Barker too and further growth from those three points available.
Buses did use Mt Barker Road to Bridgewater/Lobethal/Mt Barker, however the “metroticket” region only went as far as Aldgate depot until 09/2001. The STA train to Bridgewater being an obvious exception to this, which was closed in 1989.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:01 pm 820 - City to Aldgate via Greenhill Road, Rangeview Dr, and Piccadilly
821 - City to Aldgate via The Parade, Greenhill Road, Rangeview Dr, and Piccadilly
822 - City to Aldgate via Greenhill Road, Cleland Wildlife Park, Rangeview Dr, and Piccadilly
Note there were various short workings to Stirling with “S” suffixes, and also “F” buses with a first set down of 14A (I think)

From memory, the Heysen Tunnels had little effect on the Greenhill Road routes until the 823 (same as now) replaced the 822.
I think it was 820 or 821 in later years that started at Glenunga International High School
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Lt. Commander Data

Eurostar wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:10 pm
Lt. Commander Data wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:01 pm 820 - City to Aldgate via Greenhill Road, Rangeview Dr, and Piccadilly

I think it was 820 or 821 in later years that started at Glenunga International High School
Yes in 2007 it was removed from the City Centre to be Loreto College (Portrush Road) to Aldgate via The Parade, Hallett Road, and Greenhill Road. Then extended to Glenunga a few years later.

This service lives on today as the 871 school bus.
Petepumpkin

Post by Petepumpkin »

I'm hoping someone can enlighten me with the recruitment/training process/timeline. I went for an interview with Torrens Transit a couple of weeks ago - drove around the block in a bus, did the giveway questions - all in all it was a positive interview/drive etc. Sent in a couple of references which have been checked. A week ago I did my medical - also all good. So I haven't heard anything back since doing the medical a week ago. Also is the training (HR etc) performed in a group setting or individual? How long should I expect to wait for the recruitment process to progress? I'm eager to ger started..
Thanks
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

The fact you got as far as a medical (and it went well) says there should be no impediment to your employment. Unfortunately things can move slowly - recruitment staff workloads, whether they're productive staff at all and the number of applicants will likely determine how soon you hear back.

It may help to chase them up, too... Sometimes paperwork goes missing, an email unnoticed. Maybe they're waiting on the medical provider to pass on the result and they haven't.
Petepumpkin

Post by Petepumpkin »

Merc1107 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:35 pm The fact you got as far as a medical (and it went well) says there should be no impediment to your employment. Unfortunately things can move slowly - recruitment staff workloads, whether they're productive staff at all and the number of applicants will likely determine how soon you hear back.

It may help to chase them up, too... Sometimes paperwork goes missing, an email unnoticed. Maybe they're waiting on the medical provider to pass on the result and they haven't.
Thanks yeah, I'll give them a call next week. Funny enough the medical place that I went to spelt both my first and last name wrong and initially also gave me two different appointment dates..
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

With lots of applicants in recent times, it may well have been an oversight by them. It wouldn't hurt to follow up with a courtesy call to say you've done your medical and ask what the next step is.
Petepumpkin

Post by Petepumpkin »

Eagle Eye wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:01 pm With lots of applicants in recent times, it may well have been an oversight by them. It wouldn't hurt to follow up with a courtesy call to say you've done your medical and ask what the next step is.
I gave them a call this morning and moments later had the offer of employment in my email. Start training in a week or so. Should be interesting, I'm quite excited.. Though there are some negative vibes on the web at the moment when searching info regarding working for the company..
Last edited by Petepumpkin on Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Petepumpkin wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:28 pm Though there are some negative vibes on the web at the moment when searching info regarding working for the company..
Even within the same company, different depots can have completely opposite vibes to one another, the old saying "one bad apple spoils the rest" is quite true where management and even drivers are concerned. Suss things out once you start, and be wary of the talk in lunchrooms, because that's often all it is - talk (or a storm in a teacup!).
BusFan23

Post by BusFan23 »

What is the technical term for the yellow signs with arrows that provide drivers with route directions?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Route markers is what I've heard - but that isn't the Adelaidean vernacular, I might add.
Lt. Commander Data

BusFan23 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:05 am What is the technical term for the yellow signs with arrows that provide drivers with route directions?
“Pothook” is the Adelaide lingo for them - but say it to an interstater and they’ll look at you funny :lol:
Can I ride for free

Post by Can I ride for free »

With the withdrawal of the remaining NL202s in the new year does anyone know if there will be a farewell tour or something organised for their last day in service would love to have one last ride in 246 or 247 ( ex 2201 2202) as drove these numerous times at Southlink Lonsdale?
Lt. Commander Data

Can I ride for free wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:54 pm With the withdrawal of the remaining NL202s in the new year does anyone know if there will be a farewell tour or something organised for their last day in service would love to have one last ride in 246 or 247 ( ex 2201 2202) as drove these numerous times at Southlink Lonsdale?
Apparently DIT assets are not allowed to be used for charters. Additionally, I doubt Torrens would be up for charters when they miss/cut dozens and dozens of trips a day. So unfortunately not :(
X_STA/TA/Southlink
Favourite Vehicle: SG280 Artic

Post by X_STA/TA/Southlink »

OK. So here is my random question. Why do so many drivers run around with their lights on in broad daylight? I understand that the O-Bahn had trees with regards to dying to have their lights on while traversing the track but outside that the area all the CB80's and K230's that have daytime running lights so don't need headlights on.
It used to be particularly bad for the just the hills buses but seems to have crept across the network. I just don't get it. Particularly on really hot days where the vehicles electrical system is going to be under the most stress I would have thought that the less equipment running would have been better....
Remember in the old days when there used to Standby Shifts?

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”