Plans for Port Dock Interchange

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
softgrow

Plans for Port Dock Interchange

Post by softgrow »

These were notified in public notices of page 63 of the Advertiser, Wed 6 March 2019. They are online at https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... ic_notices under Crown Developments. The plans should be available for viewing during normal business hours. at SCAP, level 50 Flinders Street, Adelaide and the office of the City of Port Adelaide Enfield, 163 Vincent Street, Port Adelaide. You've to until Friday 5th April 2019 to comment to the SCAP or just discuss it here :D
softgrow

Re: Plans for Port Dock Interchange

Post by softgrow »

Plans might be listed but link doesn't work. Waiting for a response from SCAP to fix this.

Edit: now fixed, 1500 pages and 48MByte, happy reading.
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

Post by I Follow PAFC »

Railway museum to shunt trains for Port rail line revival.
The National Railway Museum says it may have to lose some rolling stock exhibits as it downsizes after losing land and tracks to a $51 million plan to return a passenger rail line to the heart of Port Adelaide.

Labor pledged before the state election to bring passenger trains back into the Port Adelaide city centre by rebuilding the mothballed Port Dock Railway, which runs off the existing Outer Harbor line and into the eastern side of the National Railway Museum.

The line has been closed since 1981. The Department says early works to revitalise the 1km railway will start later this year ahead of completion in 2024.

Detailed designs for the latest version of the rail extension are yet to be released, but the plans in 2017 envisaged the line terminating at Baker Street next to where the Pirate Life Brewery is now located.

To reach that point, the line will have to pass through a narrow space around 15 metres wide just before it runs alongside the museum’s state heritage listed goods shed.

The narrow space will also have to accommodate the museum’s heritage train line, miniature railway and a vehicle access point to ensure adequate fire safety for the wooden goods shed.

More: https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2022/ ... e-revival/
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

Post by I Follow PAFC »

Train services will return to the heart of Port Adelaide as part of the Port Dock Railway Line Project.
The first of 2,500 concrete sleepers for the project have now been delivered to the site, in preparation for major work to start early next year.
https://www.facebook.com/DFITSA/posts/p ... Qai1FzbXDl
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Whats the betting the rest of the Outer Harbour line will close as soon as this is built and the old bidirectional bus route will return.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

1whoknows wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:19 am Whats the betting the rest of the Outer Harbour line will close as soon as this is built and the old bidirectional bus route will return.
Is the part after the old, disused spur utilised to such a low extent?
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

1whoknows wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:19 am Whats the betting the rest of the Outer Harbour line will close as soon as this is built and the old bidirectional bus route will return.
I highly doubt this will happen - the government that is too afraid to make changes to bus routes for fear of opposition, is not going to turn around and close a whole section of railway.
Merc1107 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:14 pm Is the part after the old, disused spur utilised to such a low extent?
This outer section of the line is where the best time saving is made for trips to the CBD - and thus probably some of the better used part of the line. The downfall is accessing other suburban locations (like shopping centres), which buses service. So both are needed to provide a decent service on the LeFerve Peninsula.

There are a few old threads on this board that describe the various changes to bus routes over the years, and how they were received by locals.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
otto5013
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB -Custom CB80 s.2

Post by otto5013 »

I asked about this at Port Info earlier this year and was told it's a non-starter. Sue Close had recently reaffirmed that it was getting close to kick-off, the beginning of the works. Has there been any official announcements either way during 2023 ?
That's the way the whole thing started, silly but it's true ...
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

I can't say I recall much in the way of official announcements; but having passed over the Port line on Grand Junction Rd can confirm that the connection to the mainline has been severed; a temporary; concrete fence erected between the worksite and mainline; the previous tracks removed and much digging on the Northern side of the bridge. It's happening all right.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

The car park in Lipson Street at Port Adelaide, between the Police complex and the railway museum is being closed soon for a couple of months, to then reopen as the new Port Adelaide bus interchange. I found quite a bit of detail on the City of Port Adelaide Enfield website.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”