Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: Forrestfield-Airport Link Project

Post by Merc1107 »

Without timetables it's tricky to properly judge what it will truly look like, but generally, the level of service improvement in store for the East is phenomenal.

I'm quite interested in the 10min daytime 940s, too. I wonder if the plan is for more 900s to eventually become more frequent than just 15mins?
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

kaplan_thornhill wrote:
TP1462 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:05 pm There is no need for FAL trains to use platforms 6 & 9 it’ll be mainly used by Ellenbrook I do believe the shutdown will include some reconfiguration of Perth yard so MEL trains can access platform 6 without having to cross over to the Armadale side another shutdown might be needed so trains can access the Perth siding from platform 9 eastbound it can currently only be accessed from platform 8. Platform 6 is used by a couple of Armadale line services as well as the Joondalup line during tunnel maintenance as well as the Royal show and most bi-directional stadium services from Freo & Joondalup. Ideally stadium trains should be able to pass through platforms 6/7 & 8/9 rather than having to run bi-directionally solely through platform 6 so I can see where Perth yard would be more crossovers and reconfiguring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can already access platform six in town from the Midland up main.

Services coming from Perth Stadium can currently pass through any of the platforms at McIver and access the through platforms of 6/7/8/9. They can also cruise through both Claisebrook 1/2.

KT
Ok thanks for the clarification everytime I’ve caught a midland train that terminates on platform 6 it’s usually crossed over to the Armadale side near claisebrook mind you that was some few years ago

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:Without timetables it's tricky to properly judge what it will truly look like, but generally, the level of service improvement in store for the East is phenomenal.

I'm quite interested in the 10min daytime 940s, too. I wonder if the plan is for more 900s to eventually become more frequent than just 15mins?
The upgrade is huge and definitely long overdue there were some improvements when the gateway WA project was nearing completion however not to this scale

perthbus

Post by perthbus »

Is it a fair assumption that the 4 usual 380 service Airport buses (2377-2380) plus the 2 unbranded spares 2707 and 2713 (?) will now have their branding changed and be assigned to the 292 Redcliffe-T3/T4 Circular service?

Would imagine now there’s definite justification to have their luggage racks increased in size to cater for much higher volumes of Airport passengers travelling with luggage.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

They're supposed to run every 12 or 15mins, and a loop that short would be two, maybe three buses at most? Hopefully they keep those buses setup for luggage (or alter them, as you suggest).
Edit: The timetable allows 11mins.

Alternatively in the event the 940 sees a reasonable number of artics, I guess they could do a lap or two of the 292 between trips? Although they're really not luggage-friendly buses.
Last edited by Merc1107 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enviro 500
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113CRB

Post by Enviro 500 »

So is Perth Airports paying for the upkeep of 292? Also, 37 could do with some luggage buses.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

https://youtu.be/AiZRVC81qJo

busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

Merc1107 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:05 pm Without timetables it's tricky to properly judge what it will truly look like, but generally, the level of service improvement in store for the East is phenomenal.
It'll be interesting to see the level of bus service after 6-12 months of operation and how well it's being adopted. My observations over the years is that a Roll Royce bus service is set up only to be mostly ignored. If people want to use public transport, they'll drive to a train station. I noticed this when I first starting driving in the Northern suburbs in the late 90's - excellent bus service feeding stations such as Stirling, Warwick and Whitfords and barely any passengers compared to the numbers boarding the train. I regularly go past Murdoch station and there are people parked on the verge outside the station because they cannot get a parking spot. That speaks to the mentality of your average commuter [/soap box]
I was wondering about that too. I wonder if there's the catchment along GE Hwy to justify such a high volume of buses? There are some 900 series services running every 10 minutes e.g. 930 so maybe there is the stomach for it. Time will tell.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

busdriver12 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:20 am It'll be interesting to see the level of bus service after 6-12 months of operation and how well it's being adopted. My observations over the years is that a Roll Royce bus service is set up only to be mostly ignored. If people want to use public transport, they'll drive to a train station. I noticed this when I first starting driving in the Northern suburbs in the late 90's - excellent bus service feeding stations such as Stirling, Warwick and Whitfords and barely any passengers compared to the numbers boarding the train.
Further to that; how long will the high levels of service will be sustained until the resources begin to be diverted elsewhere?
busdriver12 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:20 am I regularly go past Murdoch station and there are people parked on the verge outside the station because they cannot get a parking spot. That speaks to the mentality of your average commuter
Our respective sides of the tracks seemed vastly different in terms of utilisation - buses off Ranford Rd, Leach Hwy (506 and 507) or even Armadale Rd always seemed busier than those on the west side. Perhaps that is more a product of the longer distance between the Mandurah & Armadale lines than it is better utilisation.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

So the 507 seems busier than 915?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Enviro 500 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:12 pm So the 507 seems busier than 915?
It was predominantly the peaks and late at night where the difference was most noticeable.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

A Community Open Day will be held on 9th October as well as free travel on the entire Transperth network, with the first full line service departs Perth bound for High Wycombe at 5:12AM on the 10th, the following day.

Source: https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/P ... ntLXRPOctM
Family fun day and free travel to mark opening of new Airport Line
^ Airport Line to officially open on 9 October
^ Family fun day planned at High Wycombe and Redcliffe Stations to mark occasion
^ Free travel will be available across the entire network on the opening day
The countdown is on for the much anticipated Airport Line opening, with just over four weeks to go until first trains are available to the public.
The Airport Line will open on Sunday 9 October, and Transport Minister Rita Saffioti today announced free public transport will be available across the network, with a family fun day held across both High Wycombe and Redcliffe Train Stations to mark the occasion.
From midday on 9 October, the new stations will be open to the public, with a carnival-like schedule of events and activities planned.
Free family-friendly entertainment will include roving entertainers, live music, animal farms, face painting, scavenger hunts, stalls for community groups, amusement rides, showbags and giveaways, including a bike lock giveaway for the first people that ride to the stations, and vouchers for local businesses.
Western Australian rock heroes The Southern River Band will feature on the main stage at High Wycombe from 1.30pm, before heading off on a national tour the following day.
Food trucks and stalls will ensure the crowds are well fed, and there will be a free sausage sizzle for those checking out the new stations.
Train enthusiasts will also be given the opportunity to enter a lottery to ride the first train on the Airport Line.
The State Government has also provided a first look at its community awareness campaign, which will begin on 12 September.
The public awareness campaign will run for six weeks with coverage across TV, radio, print and online.
The Airport Line will be open for regular train services on 10 October, with the first service departing Perth at 5.12am. A timetable can be found at https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Journe ... rport-Line
Comments attributed to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti:
"In just over four weeks' time, the Airport Line will officially open, and we want the community to be at the forefront of the celebrations.
"The new Airport Line is one of WA's biggest infrastructure projects, creating a new public transport corridor to the eastern suburbs, via Perth Airport.
"It will be a fantastic day with free entertainment for the whole family, while giving people an opportunity to ride a train for free on the new line.
"My message to the community is mark 9 October in your diary, make the most of the free public transport on the network, join in the festivities and come check out our incredible new train line and stations."
Attachments
305639323_392111316438235_127189883351058885_n - Copy.jpg
305639323_392111316438235_127189883351058885_n - Copy.jpg (133.23 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

I assune the new bus network will run from first service that day?

On the Mandurah line's first day (23/12/07) the old bus network ran alongside the trains, which turned out to be a blessing as the trains from Perth stopped well before sunset!
Traklink

Post by Traklink »

The new timetables are all dated 10/10/2022 so from what I can tell it'll be a similar arrangement to the Mandurah Line - the old bus network (or what passes for it east of the airport) with a special train service on Sunday then a full service on the new network on Monday.
Catch a Traklink bus and you're on the train.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Signage slowly being changed over this is at McIver station

busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

busdriver12 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:20 am
Merc1107 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:05 pm Without timetables it's tricky to properly judge what it will truly look like, but generally, the level of service improvement in store for the East is phenomenal.
It'll be interesting to see the level of bus service after 6-12 months of operation and how well it's being adopted. My observations over the years is that a Rolls Royce bus service is set up only to be mostly ignored. If people want to use public transport, they'll drive to a train station. I noticed this when I first starting driving in the Northern suburbs in the late 90's - excellent bus service feeding stations such as Stirling, Warwick and Whitfords and barely any passengers compared to the numbers boarding the train. I regularly go past Murdoch station and there are people parked on the verge outside the station because they cannot get a parking spot. That speaks to the mentality of your average commuter [/soap box]
I was wondering about that too. I wonder if there's the catchment along GE Hwy to justify such a high volume of buses? There are some 900 series services running every 10 minutes e.g. 930 so maybe there is the stomach for it. Time will tell.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Enviro 500

Post by Enviro 500 »

System map on trains has been updated with the Airport Line shown.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Enviro 500 wrote:System map on trains has been updated with the Airport Line shown.
Think a few stations are still missing PIDs like Maylands but could be wrong and station signage still hasn’t been updated I’m guessing that’ll start next week

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Airport line services are now showing up on the live times including third party mapping services such as Apple & Google Maps looks pretty cool on the Apple Watch Image

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

TP1462 wrote:Airport line services are now showing up on the live times including third party mapping services such as Apple & Google Maps looks pretty cool on the Apple Watch Image

bullswool

Post by bullswool »

Airport Line timetable has been updated for the 9th October. Looks like the first service towards High Wycombe leaves at 12:08pm, stopping at all stations. Last return is 6:12pm.

It doesn't look like the Airport Line will be running between Perth and Claremont until the 10th.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

TRS-80

Post by TRS-80 »

It's quite annoying that with the High Wycombe train waiting at the platform to commence service for several minutes, the east (and now only level) pedestrian crossing over the Perth line is closed for whole time. Particularly since it includes the time when the Claremont service terminates.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

WEMBLEY 75

Post by WEMBLEY 75 »

Now that the Airport Line is open, does anyone know if Route 41 is going to extend to Bayswater Railway Station?
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

If it happens, I suspect it won’t occur until the bus interchange is completed as part of the Bayswater Station project.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”