Is OMSI the only option

Discuss Transport Simulator games in this section

Moderator: busrider

Jumbles
Favourite Vehicle: Unicycle

Is OMSI the only option

Post by Jumbles »

For a long time I've enjoyed Driving Simulators, especially trucks and buses and I've been trying to find a bus simulator.
Is OMSI the only option? I'm a bit tight so "Bus Simulator" at $10 looks more attractive than "OMSI" at $35. Interestingly, although the former has bad reviews on Steam, most of the bad reviews seem to complain that it's too much Sim/Realism (ie depot procedures, startup procedures, ticketing, etc, etc, etc) and not enough driving (which wouldn't actually put me off) - however I'm more than a little wary that $10 seems a little too cheap (although I only paid $15 for ETS2 and only a couple of bucks for the Going East add-on (but paid the full $18 or whatever for the Scandinavia one)).

Any thoughts/opinions? I'm not terribly fussed about the graphics (within reason), and I want something a bit less game and a bit more Sim than "Bus Driver".
Adelaide Hills DD
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Re: Is OMSI the only option

Post by Adelaide Hills DD »

I have over 200 hours on OMSI 2 and I love it. It is the closest to realism as you will get for a bus simulator. I would highly recommend spending the money on the DLC's as well. Both Chicago and the latest Berlin X10. There are also quite a few good Mod maps for it that work well. The only negative about it though is that it does take up quite a bit of your memory and you must download a patch for it to allow it to run at optimal settings for it to load all the textures. Just google OMSI 2 Memory Patch.

Bus Simulator was a huge flop. The controls were wrong, the settings weren't right and you have to start at the start every time you load the game.
What even is a bus?
Jumbles

Post by Jumbles »

Ok, that explains some of the negativity about Bus Simulator (people talked about too much realism having to do pre-checks at the depot, but didn't realise that was each time you load the game).

We have a relatively low spec machine (about 8 year old acer, i3 proccessor @ 3.07GHz, 4GB RAM, 512MB graphics (NVIDIA GeForce)) running windows 7 (I think in 64 bit, but we install most things 32 bit) - Copes pretty well with ETS2 (not sure exactly on the settings, but they'd be relatively conservative) - also used to work ok with Rigs of Rods (but given the lack of AI in that I suspect the resource demand is a lot lower - and again, that wasn't at extreme settings).

Also, do I have to learn German if I want to do ticketing vaguely correctly (part of me would be happy using the simple "take money,issue ticket, give change", but part of me wants to press the buttons on the ticket machine)?
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

In OMSI, if you try to issue the wrong ticket, the passenger won't take it. There's typically only 5 ticket types anyway, so it's easy enough to figure out eventually, text appears showing which ticket the passengers want, you just try and match that with whatever the ticket machine says, or just click paper tickets until the passenger takes one. I think your computer might struggle to run OMSI though...
Diesel_MAN
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Buses

Post by Diesel_MAN »

I came across a mod which replaces the German dialogue with English dialogue a while ago. I can't remember exactly where I found it, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to find.
Please leave via centre door.
Please push handle to open door.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Some maps also come with English dialogue, the Chicago add-on is one of them.
Transport: Buses
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST on Scania K280UB

Post by Transport: Buses »

Bus Simulator is absolutely awful. It's far overpriced even at $10. I haven't played the game in a long time but I remember the bus being wider than the lanes on the map and the perspectives being all wrong.

A word of caution though: OMSI can get very resource hungry and demands far better specs than you'd expect of a bus simulator. I don't have the greatest of machines (2014 iMac with i7 processor running win7 on bootcamp) but it can run ETS2 on the highest specs and even stuff like GTA V without a hitch yet OMSI is still very laggy and slow. Sometimes crashes too. Berlin-Spandau seems to be the worst and most of the addon maps run far more smoothly. Definitely worth the money though due to the ton of content you get.
X'Trapolis-1M
Favourite Vehicle: EDI Comeng

Post by X'Trapolis-1M »

I have the SF bus sim and with a Optiplex 780 it runs alright, but you can set the PID to anything and I used to charge passengers myki prices
Jumbles

Post by Jumbles »

Ok, thanks for that (I have a pretty low-spec machine [10 year old i3 4GB RAM and 512MB NVIDIA card (which I think causes a lot of issues)]....I'm not really a gamer - and from memory the Trainz (I think 2012, but even 2006 had some slowness with DLC) used to take a while to load (but ran ok mostly....)

I notice Steam has it 25% for the next week or so, so might give it a go either way - and if it means I have to convince the wife to buy a higher specc'd machine, so be it :P
MiCCROwavE_OVEN

Post by MiCCROwavE_OVEN »

I'm currently making a bus simulator based on Sydney's eastern suburbs, and the best thing about it is that it [will be] free to access. However it is on Roblox so you will need to get a Roblox account and download the launcher.
Roblox actually has a pretty neat 3D modelling system, it's not just a platform for children's games. In fact, there are already a lot of bus simulators on there, mostly with British buses though.
I will admit, the graphics aren't the best but so far I think that's a small compromise, because Roblox works fine on most devices.

Return to “Transport Simulators”